IGNORED

A word on Roon: Amazing.

+1

I'm still undecided on the whole MQA thing but I love the fact I can now see exactly which Tidal tracks are MQA vs CD. 

Seeing 96/24 light up on my Directstream DAC via USB for a track that up until now I assumed was CD res also brought a big smile to my face :D

Cheers, 

Alan 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

I couldn’t be happier with this update. As an HQPlayer devotee I was honestly expecting nothing,  and what was given is significantly more useful to me than nothing.  I agree @miguelito, whether MQA on Tidal will supplant local files (or even Tidal redbook) is not really material to my feelings about the update...the fact that I changed literally nothing in an esoteric setup with many moving parts, turned on Roon and was unfolding MQA is truly impressive. I like the changes to album versions, so far. Some of grumblIng on the forums (especially about favouring Tidal MQA over redbook) but I dunno, some grooming and fine tuning is always required...for now! Roonies will crack that eventually too ?

The simple ability to identify MQA at a glance ought to please both camps. Seek or avoid as is your inclination. 

• 3 weeks later...

Roon is good, but their IOS control point gets killed (closes unexpectedly) or freezes much too often.

Also iPhone control point could have more (all) options/GUI features (be on par with iPad/computer). iPhone Plus have big hi-res screens, there is nothing, in my opinion, that prevents feature parity with iPad app. 

4 hours ago, maxijazz said:

Roon is good, but their IOS control point gets killed (closes unexpectedly) or freezes much too often.

Also iPhone control point could have more (all) options/GUI features (be on par with iPad/computer). iPhone Plus have big hi-res screens, there is nothing, in my opinion, that prevents feature parity with iPad app. 

I’ve used Roon for almost a year now and I can’t think of a single time it’s crashed on my iPad. I do agree with you about the iPhone version though.