IGNORED

Trouble to setup my system correctly - no sound

Guys,

Recently I purchased a Mac mini. I downloaded Puremusic to work together with Itnues. I connected hiFace to my DAC (Berkeley Alpha) which is then connected via XLR to my MBL Integrated Amplifier.

When I play musics via Puremusic, Alpha DAC shows the correct sample rate. I do not know why, there is no music. I tried the obvious things, like checking cables, etc, and everything seems to be all right. Any clue what can be wrong?

Cheers,

Edu

Pure Music -> Itunes -> Mac mini -> hiFace -> Berkeley Alpha DAC -> MBL 7006 -> Dynaudio C1[br]www.computeraudio.com.br

Hello David,

Thanks for replying. I think I did that but will double check. I purchased my Mac mini, which is my first Apple, less than a week so I am still finding my way on the way Apple does things. ;-)

As soon as I reach home I will check that. What makes me get puzzled is the fact that the DAC is able to display the right sampling rate which means, some how, signal is reaching the DAC.

Pure Music -> Itunes -> Mac mini -> hiFace -> Berkeley Alpha DAC -> MBL 7006 -> Dynaudio C1[br]www.computeraudio.com.br

Can you try playback via iTunes rather than Pure Music - does this work?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Hello Eloise,

tks for helping. Yes, i have music straight from itunes. I downloaded the new pure music version and still nothing. I can see the dac showing the right sampling, the pure music bar dancing showing the db level but no sound. Very weird. Pure music was one of the reasons I decided to buy my mac mini but it is causing me some troubles to set it up.

Any further ideas?

tks

Edu

@Edu

Okay so you get music (via the Bryston I assume) from iTunes.

Can you connect a TOSLink cable MacMini to Bryston, select this as ithe input then try Pure Music?

It sounds as if Pure Music is sending audio to the wring device.

If I recall correctly, for Pure Music, select inbuilt audio as the defaut for audio (in Audio MIDI) then in Pure Music you can selectthe HiFace as the audio device to use and engage Hog Mode.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Tks everyone for the reply.

I checked DAC volume and it is OK. I checked the gain volume at PM and it was at -6db. Changed it to 0DB, still no sound.

I tried everything I could. I tried seting on system preference the output and input as the optical connection. I set it up as the hiFace connection too. No sound.

Tried to configure pure music in everyway possible, still no sound. Just Itunes, I got sound correctly via hiFace. I have not tried to plug in the optical cable to the DAC but will try it later.

Also, I can get sound geting out via hiFace on videos (youtube), etc but with a 2-3 sec gap (out of sync).

I am almost giving up in buying PM and am considering another program instead of itunes (have APE and FLAC and I would have to convert it to AIFF).

Well, if any one has a clue on what could be wrong, I appreciate

Someone pointed me to this thread...I wish there was more time to spend on the Internet forums, but posting is tough because it also takes time to monitor and respond to follow-ups.

Have you looked over the Troubleshooting part of the Pure Music User Guide, included with the software download? In particular, checking to see if the first output bus is set to Off, instead of 1L 2R (in the Audio Settings->Multichannel tab of the Preferences). This was an omission in the default preference settings of that version (it wouldn’t be evident to users upgrading from an older version, and would carry forward as a user preference setting, even if upgrading to a newer version).

In the future, an email to Channel D tech support, which tries to be as responsive as possible to user questions and concerns, may get a faster resolution, even if you’re only trying the demo...

Thank you - Rob Robinson (Pure Music developer)

I also have to say I've been extremely pleased with the customer support offered by Rob. I had a glitch with a specific album which he promptly purchased and downloaded to test. More than happy to pay for this level of product and service!

Geoffrey

Thanks again for helping Rob. I am a newbie in Mac as I said and have not realized that was a file that explains the ins and outs of PM. The answer to my problem was on the documentation!

I have not had time to give it a critical listening but will do that shortly!

Regards,

Eduardo