IGNORED

Neil Young archives high res

It won't grab HiRez MLP (protected packed PCM). It "may" rip things like Neil's 24/96 PCM (standard DVD, video folder) stuff, but that's a small portion of the HiRez DVD community. When talking DVD-Audio you need DVDAexplorer (Mac version seems busted) or DVDFab (windows, which rips to an ISO image).

Although I already have these capabilities on Windows I will trial C2Pro on MAC and report back on Neil's 2496 DVD's (since I own them and already know they rip fine).

and the interface sucks (uses only VOB's, etc) but I was able to find a VOB/IFO combo (VOB 5) that grabbed 10 seconds of 24/96 wav or aiff (did both) of Down By The River from Greatest Hits. I also grabbed something (first ten seconds of clapping so not sure what song it is) from Massey Hall, and it was also 24/96. All in all, a kludgy piece of software for our needs (probably copies whole DVD's fine) but does extract 24/96 from standard DVD-Video. As far as DVD-Audio I tried Neil's On The Beach, no go. It can't even see the files (AOB files are greyed out).

Apparently you didn't read the thread carefully

Guilty. I was really hoping to find a Mac way. But although MacTheRipper + HandBrake got me a compressed version (AAC), I haven't managed to get a lossless conversion. For some reason, even the PCM file extracted with MacTheRipper cannot be converted to (eg) flac without white noise obliterating everything. I've tried byte-swapping and everything else.

Now I am holding my nose and firing up VMWare Fusion, which has a clone of an XP laptop I owned for a couple of weeks. I'll try it on that.

If not, I shall have to humble myself to a windows user to do it for me.

Listening to crappy MP3s downloaded from Amazon seems less humiliating.

Edit: DVD audio extractor worked as you suggested...

First off this is my first post and it's really long winded for which I apologise but I hope it may be of use to anyone who wants to extract DVD-V Hi-Res audio using Linux. I'm not sure how applicable it is to OS X but would be interested to hear if it works.

I've also been grappling with ripping the Hi-Res audio from my Neil Young DVD-V's and wanted to try and do it without resorting to MS Windows which I'm using less and less. In this instance I'm using Linux (Fedora 12). Like the OP initially all I could get was 16 bit, 96 Khz using mplayer to extract the audio as a WAV file. I'm not sure but I think this might be mplayer reducing the number of bits to a level that my laptops on-board hardware can cope with. Anyway I've come up with this method which seems to work. The first two stages are at the command line but they are detailed below.

The main applications/commands:

lsdvd (command line)

mplayer (command line)

audacity (gui app)

You will also need libdvdcss

On Fedora these can be installed with:

yum install lsdvd mplayer audacity libdvdcss

Initially I had an error when using lsdvd but found a post that said something like “I always install all these applications and don't have the problem”. As it didn't say which application solves the problem I just installed the lot (actually some would have already been on my system but yum, the update mamager for Fedora will sort that out). So I ran the command from the post:

yum install xmms xmms-mp3 xmms-faad2 xmms-pulse xmms-skins audacious audacious-plugins-freeworld* rhythmbox gstreamer-plugins-ugly gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-ffmpeg amarok xine-lib-extras-freeworld mplayer mplayer-gui gecko-mediaplayer mencoder

Note after loading the above I still got an error from lsdvd until after I had rebooted.

Now to actually get the file off the DVD:

First I run “lsdvd -a” and get the following:

“libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.10 for DVD access

Disc Title: FILLMORE_EAST

Title: 01, Length: 00:43:23.033 Chapters: 06, Cells: 06, Audio streams: 08, Subpictures: 32

Audio: 1, Language: en - English, Format: lpcm , Frequency: 48000, Quantization: 24bit, Channels: 2, AP: 0, Content: Undefined, Stream id: 0xa0

Audio: 2, Language: en - English, Format: ac3, Frequency: 48000, Quantization: drc, Channels: 6, AP: 0, Content: Undefined, Stream id: 0x81

Audio: 3, Language: en - English, Format: ac3, Frequency: 48000, Quantization: drc, Channels: 6, AP: 0, Content: Undefined, Stream id: 0x82

Audio: 4, Language: en - English, Format: ac3, Frequency: 48000, Quantization: drc, Channels: 6, AP: 0, Content: Undefined, Stream id: 0x83

Audio: 5, Language: en - English, Format: ac3, Frequency: 48000, Quantization: drc, Channels: 6, AP: 0, Content: Undefined, Stream id: 0x84

Audio: 6, Language: en - English, Format: ac3, Frequency: 48000, Quantization: drc, Channels: 6, AP: 0, Content: Undefined, Stream id: 0x85

Audio: 7, Language: en - English, Format: ac3, Frequency: 48000, Quantization: drc, Channels: 6, AP: 0, Content: Undefined, Stream id: 0x86

Audio: 8, Language: en - English, Format: ac3, Frequency: 48000, Quantization: drc, Channels: 6, AP: 0, Content: Undefined, Stream id: 0x87

Title: 02, Length: 00:00:06.166 Chapters: 01, Cells: 01, Audio streams: 01, Subpictures: 00

Audio: 1, Language: en - English, Format: lpcm , Frequency: 48000, Quantization: 16bit, Channels: 2, AP: 0, Content: Undefined, Stream id: 0xa0

Title: 03, Length: 00:11:37.043 Chapters: 09, Cells: 09, Audio streams: 01, Subpictures: 00

Audio: 1, Language: en - English, Format: lpcm , Frequency: 48000, Quantization: 16bit, Channels: 2, AP: 0, Content: Undefined, Stream id: 0xa0

Title: 04, Length: 00:11:37.043 Chapters: 09, Cells: 09, Audio streams: 01, Subpictures: 00

Longest track: 01”

Note that lsdvd reports the sampling rate incorrectly as 48000 even for the 96000 tracks. However it does identify Title 1 as the one I'm interested in as it's 24bit and has 6 chapters equating to the 6 audio tracks on Live at the Fillmore East, the DVD in question.

Next I run mplayer:

mplayer -dvd-device /dev/sr1 -vo null -vc null -ao pcm:nowaveheader:file="ny-1.pcm" -chapter 1-1 dvd://01

The options are:

-dvd-device /dev/sr1 (This points to my DVD drive. If you only have one DVD drive this may not be necessary as mplayer should use it as the default but I find my laptop drive does not cope well with less than perfect discs so I also have an external drive I can turn to).

-vo null (The video output driver. As I'm not interested in video set to null)

-vc null (Video Codec – again not interested for this purpose so set to null)

-ao pcm:nowaveheader:file="ny-1.pcm" (OK this I do want! As I said above extracting as a WAV didn't give me a 24 bit file so I extract as a raw PCM file, with no WAV header and output to a file named ny-1.pcm.

-chapter 1-1 (Extract starting from chapter 1, ending at chapter 1. This exacts just the first chapter (track) into the file)

dvd://01 (Tell mplayer it's reading a DVD and to start at title 1 as discovered using lsdvd).

Run the command.

When track one is extracted re-run the command changing ny-1 to ny-2 (that's just a new file name for track 2) and 1-1 to 2-2 to extract chapter 2. Keep going until all tracks are extracted. Should you want all 6 tracks in one file you can change 1-1 to 1-6 and run the command once (I assume - I've not actually tried this).

mplayer will chuck out a bunch of text and then (hopefully) start extracting the data. Note one of the last lines mplayer displays is:

AO: [pcm] 96000Hz 2ch s24be (3 bytes per sample)

Note the following as they are needed for the next stage):

96000Hz (self explanatory)

2ch (again self explanatory)

s24be (signed, 24 bit, big-endian)

Once the trackes are extracted as raw PCM files I import them one at a time into Audacity, a free digital audio editor and save them as FLAC files. It is important that the import function is used as this allows you to specify the file parameters noted above. So run Audacity and then select:

File -> Import -> Raw Data

Navigate to the PCM you have created and open it.

You should get a pop-up window with a number of settings. Set these based on those displayed by mplayer as noted above. So in this case set:

Encoding to “Signed 24 bit PCM”

Byte order “Big-endian”

Channels “2 Channels (Stereo)”

Start offset – leave as 0 bytes

Amount to import - leave as 100 %

Sample rate “96000” Hz

Click “Import”

The file should import. If you want you can test it by clicking the play button. I suggest keeping the volume down low just in case something has gone wrong and you get a horrible noise!

To save as FLAC:

File -> Export...

A metadata pop-up may appear (this depends on the setting in audacity preferences). I generally leave it blank (I add tags later using EasyTAG) and just click “OK”.

The next page is the save page. There is a drop-down menu in the bottom right which I set to “FLAC”. Then click the options bar at the bottom and set the “Bit depth” to 24. Click “OK” and then “Save”

That should be it. If you want you can re-read the FLAC file back into Audacity and run a Frequency Analysis.

File -> Open (no need to import the FLAC file)

Select small amount of the file waveform using the mouse, then

Analyze -> Plot Spectrum

You may get a message along the lines of “Too much audio was selected”. Just click “OK”.

The spectrum displayed should show frequencies up to 30 or 40 KHz.

If anybody tries this I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

If any body has an easier method to do this on Linux that would be even better.

The point was how to do it on Linux OS.

A couple of observations on DVD Audio Extractor:

1. You can save to FLAC, so no need for wav

2. When I tried to save to 96kHz, it would save at 88.2 kHz. When I set it to match the input sampling frequency (which was 96 kHz), it saved to 96kHz.

So I am doing something wrong I think when extracting the pcm. I opened it with Audacity and get the usual white noise, but what I noticed is the left channel is uncorrupted music and the right channel is white noise. Lookie here:

I know why he posted it. I was simply stating that it is wayyyyyyyyy easier to do on Windows, and it is proven and works. I'm not a Windows fan per se, but an ease of use fan?...yeah likely.

In all seriousness, I thought we were trying to help the OP. I even installed a trial piece of MAC software and, as guinea pig, proved it works. So we have Windows solutions that are basically click and done. we have a MAC solution that works as advertised....and yes, we have a Linux set of procedures too. Not sure the point I guess.

I guess that means me, so yes, thanks, I got it to work using your suggestions for Windows.

Along the way, I was trying to find if there was a Mac way, preferably free. So far, I haven't found it (and I thought you said what you had didn't work -- sorry).

The point is basically to be able to use music one purchases without having to make additional investments in software and operating systems. Linux takes this to the extreme, since even the OS itself is free.

I personally have a longstanding interest in OS X, particularly as a unix machine, so I was looking to see if there was a way using freely available unix software.

In principle, vobcopy, xld, ffmpeg, etc., and Apple's own afconvert should allow for that, but in practice, I have not succeeded.