IGNORED

Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 Firewire Audio Interface, (SAFFIRE PRO 24)

Has anyone heard this ?

$299 at Amazon etc

Open baffle with Feastrex for the top end and 16\" AE for the bass.[br]Pass labs 30.5 drives the AE and my own 45 with Intact Audio output transformers all silver build drives the Feastrex. [br]Lynx Aurora with Antelope clock.[br]Pure Music does the crossover work. Mac mini with a SSD and a Glyph hd for the data. [br]West of the Pecos...[br]East of the Rio Grande...

Were you thinking of the Focusrite Saffire as a DAC, or to be a FireWire to SPDIF converted connected to another DAC?

For the latter, the Focusrite was recommended during the (now infamous) TAS article on USB and Computer Audio.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

The unit has six analog outputs....the TRS is at pro audio levels.

Pure Music Player let's you divide up the sigs. Via it's crossover. Then on to the Focusrite via FireWire. Focusrite then sends the sigs it's 1 to 6 analog outputs. then on to power amps and lastly to the drivers.

The Focusrite runs on 12 volts dc so a good regulatedbpower supply might be in order.

The unit is way cheaper than the Metic Halo or the Lynx Aurora 8.

so the question... How does it sound.

Also it may be a much better unit to mod than the Lynx or Metric Halo.

It will also might be part of a fun field record system. maybe not the very best but surly fun.

Build your own gear

Grow your own food

Open baffle with Feastrex for the top end and 16\" AE for the bass.[br]Pass labs 30.5 drives the AE and my own 45 with Intact Audio output transformers all silver build drives the Feastrex. [br]Lynx Aurora with Antelope clock.[br]Pure Music does the crossover work. Mac mini with a SSD and a Glyph hd for the data. [br]West of the Pecos...[br]East of the Rio Grande...

I never read it.

Last TAS I read was when Enid was writing for them.

• 7 months later...

I use it as a dac in my shop. FireWire in... 4 analogs out. Two for high crews, two for low. No external xovers.

It does not sound as good as the Lynx Aurora but it is ten times less money. But if you have any skills with building power supplies.... It uses a 12volt dc supply. A fine regulated PS will do wonders for it.

The cool thing is the unit is 200 bucks.

You know there is a whole lot of value in the pro audio market place. Your dollars go so much further. Put a fancy dress on this dac... Build it a good supply... And you could roll it out to the high end consumer folks for a cool two grand.

It may not be the best dac under five hundred bucks but it sure is fun.

Plus it's got a fine headphone out.