IGNORED

Connect External HD with USB or Firewire

I have a Mac Mini with Konnekt 8 DAC with Firewire connection. I am purchasing a G-Safe 2 TB drive system that mirrors two 2TB drives and can be connected to the Mac Mini via USB or Firewire.

I have two choices: Connect the G-Safe via USB and leave the Konnekt 8 DAC directly connected to the Mac Mini. OR: Connect the G-Safe to the Mac Mini via Firewire (4x faster than USB) and then connect the Konnekt 8 DAC Firewire to the G-Safe in a Daisy Chain?

Any ideas on which method would be best?

Many thanks,

David Levinson

Newport Beach, California

The general advise in situations like this would be to put the drive on the USB bus and the DAC/Interface on the FireWire. There should be no issue with daisychaining the drive then the Konnekt 8, but why worry when you have the other option.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 4 weeks later...

David, Please see my post about how my new hard drive makes my sound so much better. I and telling you, use the Firewire port as that will use less of the CPU!

Powerbook G4 15 inch Aluminum, \"Fidela,\" M2tech EVO (BNC)with RF attenuator,dedicated PSU, Stereovox XV Ultra (BNC) Audio Note Dac Kit 2.1 Level B Signature Upgraded to 12AU7 tubes, ARC SP-16L Tube preamp , VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp), Vintage Tubes, Furutech ETP-80, (Alon 2 Mk2, (upgraded tweeters, Usher Woofers), Pangea Power cords, Omega Micro Active Planar PC. Signal Cable Silver Resolution ICs.

I have two FW dacs, and used to connect my drives daisy chained. Only one dac has two FW400 ports, so the other required connecting the drive in the middle.

Either way the audio engine is in the computer. From the drive to the computer to the dac requires daisey chaining.

I read where it is better to have the dac on one interface and external drives on another. So I rigged up all the drives with USB cables. This way the flow path is drive to computer to dac on FW.

Guess what, I cannot hear any difference. Sounds the same with the drives on USB as it does with them on FW.

But if the CPU load is less with all on FW I may switch back.

George

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Daisy changing Firewire is all very well, you you need to be aware if you daisychain a FW800 drive via a FW400 DAC, you'll only get FW400 speeds over the complete bus. If you connect a FW400 DAC via a FW800 drive then the drive will be able to communicate with the computer at FW800 speeds while the DAC uses FW400 speeds.

There can also be incompatibilities between devices when they share a single FireWire connection via Daisy Chaining - though this is obvious rather than an issue of sound quality.

Metric Halo recently published TechNote #10: Demystifying FireWire and Interfaces which describes this much better than I can.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.