Could someone please clarify for me where the isolator should be placed. My NAS is connected to a router and my Mac mini is connected to the same router (then USB to the dac). Do I put an isolator on the Ethernet run out of the router and into the Mac mini?

Also, anyone have a suggestion of a good shielded Ethernet cable for these audio only runs?

Thanks.

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

Could someone please clarify for me where the isolator should be placed. My NAS is connected to a router and my Mac mini is connected to the same router (then USB to the dac). Do I put an isolator on the Ethernet run out of the router and into the Mac mini?

Also, anyone have a suggestion of a good shielded Ethernet cable for these audio only runs?

Thanks.

EMO engineer told me between the modem and router like my sig

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I have not tested any ethernet isolator up to now, but my guess would be that if someone wants to isolate each component between them, then having one on each cable tying 2 components would be the way... But I will start with one just to see...

Alain

I have not tested any ethernet isolator up to now, but my guess would be that if someone wants to isolate each component between them, then having one on each cable tying 2 components would be the way... But I will start with one just to see...

The engineer told me that one should be all you need. However, if you wanted to increase your protection that one before the critical component would be the next step.

He laughed when I sent the link to the GISO. First question was where are the actual specs? LOL

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Have you heard a difference when you received it ? My question looks silly, but having it in your system, was it primarily for protection, ground loop avoidance and/or a signal with less noise ?

And yes, when there are no specifications (GISO)... ;)

Alain

Have you heard a difference when you received it ? My question looks silly, but having it in your system, was it primarily for protection, ground loop avoidance and/or a signal with less noise ?

And yes, when there are no specifications (GISO)... ;)

Strictly for protection. The cost of equipment after the modem is silly at this point. I have Zero Surge Protectors on all of it from that standpoint but wanted to make sure that the ethernet was as safe as I could have it too.

Very much so. I run a headless i7 mini (LPS and linear fan controller, 16GB, no drives, no wifi, boot ultra-slim Mavericks from SD) with only connections being DC cable, USB to DAC, and 25ft Cat6a direct to the other i7 mini on my desk (sharing its external drives with music library), bypassing my Cisco Ethernet switch entirely (SQ is better that way).

I carefully chose a variety of Cat cable constructions from quality wire manufacturers (Cat 5e, Cat 6, Cat 6a, and the bogus, not really a standard Cat7). All samples were 25 feet and used in the above set-up. The SQ differences, while not earth shattering, we surprisingly large, with a couple of the cables sounding just awful (the "Cat7" being one of them). The clear, head and shoulders above the rest winner was the BlueJeans/Belden Cat 6a. (Available on Amazon and the prices is extremely reasonable; Be warned though, they are thick and stiff.)

I posted a couple of Belden spec sheets about the type of wire BJC uses (Belden does not sell this wire as patch cords themselves) in another post. Oh, here is a link to that specific post:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/uh-oh-i-beat-my-sd-card-trick%3B-bypass-your-ethernet-switch-and-make-your-external-drives-sound-close-ram-disk-using-apple-thunderbolt-ethernet-adaptor-and-second-network-connection-18475/index6.html#post322458

The only comparison I have not yet made is to the BlueJeans/Belden Cat 6 (only difference is that it is unshielded). I have a 25-footer sitting by my desk, but have not had time to compare.

Ciao,

Alex C.

@tranz - good idea. Since I have two Airport Extremes (one old, one new), I can try to set up a completely separate network for my mac mini.

Main network (Airport Extreme 2013) - Internet and non-audio things via ethernet and wifi

Audio network (Airport Extreme 2009) - wired to mac mini. Not connection to main network = no Internet. Both AE and mac mini powered by a JS-2 power supply.

I use a Macbook Pro and screen sharing to control A+ (with version 2 I’ll switch to iPad). To play music would I switch Wifi from main to audio network. Should work?

Worth a try, but I found the AE created noise in my setup because of its inbuilt switching supply. Everyone's ears and setups are different though. I would prefer one where I can use a linear power supply instead, which is not easily possible with the apple routers.

Worth a try, but I found the AE created noise in my setup because of its inbuilt switching supply. Everyone's ears and setups are different though. I would prefer one where I can use a linear power supply instead, which is not easily possible with the apple routers.

If your router is causing audible noise in your system you have a bigger issue than using a LPS.

If your router is causing audible noise in your system you have a bigger issue than using a LPS.

I doubt that tranz meant noise as in hum/buzz/hash. Rather he likely used it as a shorthand for degraded SQ by affecting ability to perceive low-level detail and adding a slight hardness/harshness to the music. It is the sort of subtle but perceptible and cumulative thing that goes on in this realm of tweaking. I found it clearly more "relaxing" to listen when I ditched the old D-link Wifi I had in the studio (just to give me better reception in this isolated room), and when I bypassed my Cisco Ethernet switch and went direct between the two machines.

Looking at your set-up Jason, I don't think I am telling you anything you did not already know :).

BTW, I am still considering getting one of those Rythmik subs (the F12G is the one--or two!--that I want). I'd have to figure out where to put my power amp though. When John Swenson brought over his F12G, the only place it really worked well was front-center.

OK.

BTW-When do we get to see measurements of your and John's LPS against some of the the competitors?

When someone loans us their Hynes, Pardo, Redwine, Keces, etc. ;)

I've had long conversations with John about PS measurements and it turns out since there are so many variables with regards to test set up, bandwidth where measurements are made, parameters examined, and even environmental factors (JS has to turn out all the lights in his lab to eliminate interference at the lowest levels). So publishing just a graph of our supply, while it will look good and we will likely do that, won't really be comparable to another manufacturer's published graphs. Yet publishing comparative graphs and naming the competitors is bad form, creates ill-will, and starts arguments about what is being measured and what is important.

One comparison we do hope to make is with regards the reduction of EMF and injected noise pulses from use of our new Mac mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit. I just installed the pre-production version in my new i7 Mac mini and the SQ results are beyond my prior expectations. I have to tread lightly here as promotion is a no-no, but let's see if this pic sneaks past the management… (BTW, the production shielded flat ribbon cable will be shorter for more accurate fit).

MMK pre-prod.jpg

While I appreciate you were responding to jtw... Do you really have to turn EVERY post into an advert for your power supply!!

I suspect when you write "I wonder if this will get past the management" you already know you probably shouldn't be posting it!

Your first paragraph (up to the smiley) was a reply; the rest IMO at least verged on advertising if not being an obvious advert!

Eloise

When someone loans us their Hynes, Pardo, Redwine, Keces, etc. ;)

I've had long conversations with John about PS measurements and it turns out since there are so many variables with regards to test set up, bandwidth where measurements are made, parameters examined, and even environmental factors (JS has to turn out all the lights in his lab to eliminate interference at the lowest levels). So publishing just a graph of our supply, while it will look good and we will likely do that, won't really be comparable to another manufacturer's published graphs. Yet publishing comparative graphs and naming the competitors is bad form, creates ill-will, and starts arguments about what is being measured and what is important.

One comparison we do hope to make is with regards the reduction of EMF and injected noise pulses from use of our new Mac mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit. I just installed the pre-production version in my new i7 Mac mini and the SQ results are beyond my prior expectations. I have to tread lightly here as promotion is a no-no, but let's see if this pic sneaks past the management… (BTW, the production shielded flat ribbon cable will be shorter for more accurate fit).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13783[/ATTACH]

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Hi jtwrace,

Good point. At this point in the tweaking illness it is to reduce digititus/listening fatigue (noise floor) of computer audio as opposed to ground loop hums and crackles.

Something that really is inherent to C.A. and I find hard to eliminate. As opposed to a good vinyl setup, but that has its own annoying noise issues with hissing and rice crispies noises.

While I appreciate you were responding to jtw... Do you really have to turn EVERY post into an advert for your power supply!!

Not at all. Of the over 30 posts I have made to CA in the past week, the above is about the only one where I made a small plug--and this about something new and exciting that people have been waiting a long time for.

Do you get upset when PeterSt. posts measurements or has discussions about XXHigh-End or the Phasure NOS1? Or when other manufacturers participate in long threads where they announced new features of their s/w or h/w?

Yes, I suppose that posting a pic of our little board kit in a thread about network isolation is a bit off-topic. But then again there are a whole bunch or Mac mini users in this thread and I have freely shared many other worthwhile tweaks to reduce noise/interference/etc., resulting in better SQ. So perhaps I've earned a little bit of slack.

So don't worry everyone: Eloise is watching me closely so you can be sure I won't be turning CA into a banner ad for my fledgling business. :)

Okay Alex you are right it isn't every post though you do appear to look for any opportunity to advertise perhaps that is fairer. I do also comment and complain about numerous other posters where relevant so please don't get paranoid.

My point was that if you question if something is appropriate to post; it's probably a sign that it is not appropriate. Chris has a very generous policy when it comes to commercial posts so perhaps you should be erring on the side of caution rather than pushing at the rules.

Oh and your sarcasm is not appreciated when it is you who is pushing at the "rules" in, by your own admission, posting something which may be considered off topic to promote your business.

Eloise

Not at all. Of the over 30 posts I have made to CA in the past week, the above is about the only one where I made a small plug--and this about something new and exciting that people have been waiting a long time for.

Do you get upset when PeterSt. posts measurements or has discussions about XXHigh-End or the Phasure NOS1? Or when other manufacturers participate in long threads where they announced new features of their s/w or h/w?

Yes, I suppose that posting a pic of our little board kit in a thread about network isolation is a bit off-topic. But then again there are a whole bunch or Mac mini users in this thread and I have freely shared many other worthwhile tweaks to reduce noise/interference/etc., resulting in better SQ. So perhaps I've earned a little bit of slack.

So don't worry everyone: Eloise is watching me closely so you can be sure I won't be turning CA into a banner ad for my fledgling business. :)

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.