IGNORED

MacBook Pro?

I'll try not to complicate things but All Laptops are designed to have one built in native screen (size) resolution, the other sizes you can select but it's always better to operate & view the laptop in it's native (built-in) resolution. When you connect it to a external monitor (22"), you can select a different resolution to best fit that screen (usually done automatically when first connected).

Having said that, When you buy a 15" you first have to choose from two different native screen resolutions (standard or high) and two screen finish options: Glossy or Matte.

Display (April '10):

The 15-inch MacBook Pro comes with a 1440-by-900-pixel LED-backlit glossy display or you can also choose a high-resolution 1680-by-1050 glossy or antiglare display that gives you 36 percent more pixels.

About the high-resolution display:

The 1680-by-1050 display gives you more pixels — which is especially useful when you’re working with content in high graphic applications, like Final Cut Studio or viewing & editing photo's — because you get a sharper image and more screen space to work with.

About glossy and antiglare:

Choose the glossy widescreen display to make your graphics, photos, and videos appear with richer colors and deeper blacks — great for watching DVD movies. If you prefer a display with antiglare coating for a matte rather than glossy viewing experience, choose the antiglare widescreen display.

Important note :

The actual size of the display is the same (15-inch diagonal) on both models. The antiglare display has a silver frame (border) around the display.

The 17" comes in only one native resolution size, no choice to choose from but you can still pick glossy or matte.

I went out of my way to have a matte screen but when I see the glossy screens I wish I had one. If your using your laptop a lot where glare will effect it then you want the matte, if not go for the glossy. The glossy is beautiful with great images but can also give off a lot of glare or reflect on bright days and using it outside. The new Glossy screens are much better than they use to be. I always preferred getting the highest native resolution.

I hope were not complicating things. I really recommend if you can to stop by a apple store to see and feel one for yourself.

I have used PC's for 20years and still have to due to work (Arch. Autocad) but I will always covet my apple and it's on the desk as well for everything else. I'm a designer and marvel at how good of a product the MacBook Pro is, it's pricey but worth it. You can always get a PC for less but after using the apple for a while you'll start realizing it was well worth the investment.

Cheers

Lyngdorf TDA2200 int.\ Accuphase E-211 int.~ Totem \Mani's & "The One\" monitors~Bryston BDA-1 DAC~Halide HD DAC~Micromega Transport~AnTi cables & Synergistic Research cables~JohnBlue JB3~(mod) Totem orig. Model One monitors[br]Mini Mac,1.8ghz Core 2 Duo

> Sorry, I wasn't being clear. Two different maximum resolutions!

Oh, I had NO idea. So I guess if you go for the LED screen the resolution is less than the LCD screen.

Also it looks like you can get the no-glare screen for the LCD option! The one feature I REALLY hate on the Macs from the last few years is the obligatory shiny glare screen. I just HATE it. This makes my day. I'm going to buy one for my wife and then steal it.

you can use the optical out of the Macbook, directly into a DAC-20 from Accuphase. The big plus is the analog lines are very direct and short when the DAC-20 is built right into the amplifier. You also have the stability of excellent power supplies in the 530 to power the DAC-20.

I'm considering the DAC-20 for my E-450, and maybe the Halide design for the PC. My only reservation is how the clock data is transferred from the Halide to the DAC when they are from different manufacturers. Some more study I guess.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

All MacBook Pro screens are LED.

I like the idea and tidiness of a built-in dac but I'm a bit dubious about how good a built-in DAC's is when sharing the same housing & power supplies as an amp & pre-amp compared to a separate stand alone unit, especially if you already have a good dac like the Audio Note.

My Musical Fidelity A5.5 integrated comes with a built in DAC that was no where near as good as my inexpensive outboard Devilsound USB dac but it could work for someone who was in a pinch and needed to get sound out of there computer. The Bryston BDA-1 and other good DAC's was just light years better and more in par with the quality of sound that we expect at this level and price of gear but they do present more cables and foot print. Sorry, I'm digressing.

Lyngdorf TDA2200 int.\ Accuphase E-211 int.~ Totem \Mani's & "The One\" monitors~Bryston BDA-1 DAC~Halide HD DAC~Micromega Transport~AnTi cables & Synergistic Research cables~JohnBlue JB3~(mod) Totem orig. Model One monitors[br]Mini Mac,1.8ghz Core 2 Duo

MrMacgee said... "All MacBook Pro screens are LED."

Strictly speaking, NO MacBook Pro screen is LED ... they are LCD screens back-lit with LED rather than a florescent lamp source. 17" (O)LED screens are still some years away.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Oh brother, here we go with Sunday morning semantics.

Have a good weekend, I'm out.

Hey I'm a pedent. So shoot me. And there's nothing on TV on Sunday evening!

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

...I didn't say I could spell!

Eloise

Eloise

---

and the pre HAVE to be solid and rock steady with no noise, otherwise you can hear the unpleasant artifacts very quickly.

The devilsound DAC takes its supply from a +5V USB rail full of computer noise,and it does its job well to do that and you are dubious about the quality of an amp's power supply, that can drive a near short circuit of more than 80A, continously?

Sorry, I don't buy it.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Did some touching and feeling at lunch time today with a real macbook pro. Had a great salesperson who actually got audio and after talking about various models and features came down to a new MacBook Pro 13 inch with 2.4 duo (quad not recommended as I am essentially only using for music vs. multi-tasking, and some travel), 4 gb of ram (would 8 gb of ram make a difference with sound quality - premium would be another $400) and a 250 gb hard drive. Anything more seemed like overkill although may have to go to larger data storage down the road. Any thoughts on this before I make the leap?

Just to report back that I am now a proud owner of a new MacBook Pro - 13 incher. Got the laptop up and running tonight. Struggled to get the mac recognizing the usb cable and connection to my Dacmagic but after finding audio midi have cbc 2 streaming (may not be able to download HD tracks but I do have a hometown CBC station :) and sounds fabulous - better than my PC right out of the box. Probably the 4 gb of ram. So lots of reading and tweaking to do not the least of which will be the arrival of the M2 Tech Hiface which sounds like it will also be challenging to get working with my Audio Note dac. And also ripping some music. A new adventure. Again thanks for the support in getting me this far.

David