IGNORED

which usb port should i use on mac mini

i have the latest mac mini and am going to take usb out to dac through hiface........now which of the 5 ports should i use? are they all the same? i feel sure i've read somewhere on this forum that they aren't but cannot find the thread

I'm not sure if each USB connection on the back of the Mac Mini is a separate "port" or if any are shared, but here is how to check.

Under the Apple menu, choose About this Mac then More info....

In the USB section, ensure that your USB Audio DAC (maybe listed differently for your own DAC) is on a separate port not shared with anything else. I've attached a screen shot hopefully showing how it appears (correctly) on my Mac OS X system.

Eloise

PS. I think the issue that has been discussed before was related to MacBook (Pro?) rather than the MacMini. Not sure there's ever been an issue with the MacMini that I recall.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

People more knowledgeable about this sort of thing than I am have suggested that the USB port to the outside offers the better SQ. I can't honestly say that I could tell a difference. But I do use the outside port just for the sake of it's the greatest distance from anything else back there.

Plinius SA-Reference, EMM Labs DCC2/CDSD, Soliloquy 6.5 Full Range Speakers, Mac Mini, Pure Music, dB Audio Labs Essential USB Cable, Empirical Audio Offramp 4 with Turboclocks & Hynes Regulator upgrades - Power Conditioning & Cabling by Silver Circle Audio

What's Evo?? Sounds like a Mitsubishi car!!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I've just done some experiments on my new mini at work. My conclusions:

1. The USB ports are NOT identical.

2. They change dynamically.

Here is the experiment: I have 5 USB devices, including

i. Keyboard

ii. Wired mouse

iii. Belkin USB hub

iv. Powermate dial 1

v. Powermate dial 2

When I do this, the keyboard and the Belkin hub get assigned to "high-speed USB" ports. The others do not.

Now here comes the weird part: If I switch, for example, the keyboard and the mouse, the keyboard is still assigned a "high-speed" USB port, and the mouse still is not. In other words, these aren't hard-wired, but rather the OS allocates the resources as it sees fit.

I am using the output from the

system_profiler

command, by the way.

I'm at work and don't have a DAC I can plug into, but it would be interesting to see whether OS X allocates the high-speed bus to the USB connection automatically. I assume it will, but it would be worth checking, using the above command.