IGNORED

VOLT+D class D amp , dual mono 2x 60W

On 3/21/2020 at 5:07 AM, al2813 said:

Question to those who have this amp - I am now looking to order a DAC for it (and then look for a streamer). I don't knw if I should keep it at the 200 level (Topping D50s/SMSL M300) or go to the 400 DACs (SMSL M500/Topping D70/Sabaj D5)? What do you think? What DACs are you using with your Volt + ? 

al2813 Allo has a couple of good DACs. I've had the Piano 2.1 in the Vana Player and the Volt Amp with attenuator powered by their Dual Power supply for a couple years and enjoy it. I'm considering the Katana player with Shanti PSU and Volt + D to upgrade. I'm trying to decide between the Volt + D and the Pass AmpCampAmp. Then I need to find a good preamp. DIY or ?

3 hours ago, drivingdan said:

al2813 Allo has a couple of good DACs. I've had the Piano 2.1 in the Vana Player and the Volt Amp with attenuator powered by their Dual Power supply for a couple years and enjoy it. I'm considering the Katana player with Shanti PSU and Volt + D to upgrade. I'm trying to decide between the Volt + D and the Pass AmpCampAmp. Then I need to find a good preamp. DIY or ?

Weiland SU-9 AliBaba $81; Schiit Audio Freya+ $900 even with average tubes is magical. I’m using 1940’s-50’s Sylvania/RCA 6SN7s in a Schiit Freya+ and the sound is so close to my bespoke electronics with similar tubes. SU-9 is a real value as well. A good tube line stage is synergistic with the Volt+D, but you should eliminate the stepped attenuator from the circuit. This allows a tube line stage like the Freya+ to properly drive the V+D and produce a linear frequency response. As KingRex suggested, unscrew the wires from each channel on the back of the pot. Per channel, tie the outer leads together. Leave the center lead hanging. This takes the pot out of the circuit. Feed the V+D with 24VDC for best results.

13 hours ago, drivingdan said:

I got a Topping D50s (which I power using a powerbank). Very good results with Chromecast over optical. This combo as it is already delivers an audible improvement over my Powernode 2i. I am going to test this weekend with a mac mini over USB. 

I am planning this setup to become my main music listening post. I currently haver there a pair of Fyne Audio F302 speakers. The current Corona Virus closure prevents me from moving further as I want to sell my living room amp and speakers which are hardly used today, and use the money to upgrade both the speakers and the DAC. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi am trying to relaunch this thread. I am now so in love with the sound of the Volt + D that I want to see if I can upgrade the system. I am currently using Fyne Audio F302 speakers. Can people who have the Volt+ D tell us what speakers they use. My priority is clarity, transparency and enormous sound stage, a lot of acoustic music, Jazz, classic rock etc. Just want to understand in what price range I need to look and for what so that I get a real upgrade to the F302s. 

3 hours ago, al2813 said:

Hi am trying to relaunch this thread. I am now so in love with the sound of the Volt + D that I want to see if I can upgrade the system. I am currently using Fyne Audio F302 speakers. Can people who have the Volt+ D tell us what speakers they use. My priority is clarity, transparency and enormous sound stage, a lot of acoustic music, Jazz, classic rock etc. Just want to understand in what price range I need to look and for what so that I get a real upgrade to the F302s. 

Your Fyne Audio F302 look like they are pretty fine speakers.

I think that the main upgrade might actually be the power supply you are using. The standard one supplied by allo at 19v was greatly upgraded by moving to 24v in my case - but I only used a basic 24volt 5amp supply for 20 - 30 dollars or so in dollars purchased from amazon. I don't know of anyone reporting a particular model of power supply they recommend.

This one is recommended on a diy site: https://diyaudiostore.com/products/meanwell-24v-5a-psu-with-power-cord

It seems that regulated linear does not make much difference, but then no-one seems to have found one or reported on one that does.

There are a few adjustable power supplies here - I'd love to know if anyone had tried anything along these lines:

https://hifimediy.com/product-category/power-supplies/

The front end too ... I'm using a decent dac by hifme diy, through Kef coaxials from the 90s 

https://hifimediy.com/product/hifime-uda38pro-dac-es9038pro-sa9227/

- the volt D is very revealing of what is put through it, power supply and dac ... and of course, it might well be worth waiting on the mono-blocks too. I'me waiting on the monoblocks, and the power supply that seems to be coming along too. I'm hoping it will have over specified amps, and the full number of volts for the chipset - I'm presuming same chipset at 24volts.

This is because I'm not using super 90 + efficient horn loaded loudspeakers or the like. Very happy with my old kefs which seem to love the volt d.

There is a bit for the mix anyway.

13 hours ago, al2813 said:

ALITOVE AC 100-240V to DC 24V 5A Power Supply Adapter Converter with 5.5x2.1mm DC Output Jack for 5050 3528 LED Strip Module Light https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GC6VS8I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_YVoPEbB7DM3AW
good internal components with good quiet output—and it’s cheap—$20.99.

Speaker wise, I’ve been using Carolina Audio speakers for some time. Full range, and 2/3 way speakers with simple series crossovers that are easy to drive. They are fast, and have pinpoint imaging with tremendous depth of field. I’ve been through a lot of audio gear in my 66 years, but when I found Carolina Audio-about 20 years ago-I was finally able to realize all of my audio goals in my system(s). Carolinaaudio.com  Give Ronnie Thackeray a call to just chat, ask questions-and see what you think after that. I’m building a two-way with Ronnie at his house later this summer. I’m using a Morel tweeter and a Mark Audio woofer. We are both using a lot of Mark Audio drivers these days. It’s easy to build speakers that the V+D loves with MA. 
I prefer a nice tube line stage to drive the V+D. There are many out there but I love the Schiit Audio Freya+. Also, Tom Tutay at Transition Audio Design will build any sort of tube device you might want.

Scott Nixon Tube DAC+ produces an amazing soundstage. Do get the upgraded power supply.

Slainte!

a friend just got his Volt+D from Audiophonics

Pity he can't use it as... the PS they sell, despite being marked "for Volt+D", has a 5.5x2.5 DC barrell jack while Volt's should be... 6.3x3.0, right?

🙄

hope it was just a fluke and they'll send him the right PS, but as this happened on a (CoVid) Friday... 😡

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

7 hours ago, pl_svn said:

a friend just got his Volt+D from Audiophonics

Pity he can't use it as... the PS they sell, despite being marked "for Volt+D", has a 5.5x2.5 DC barrell jack while Volt's should be... 6.3x3.0, right?

🙄

hope it was just a fluke and they'll send him the right PS, but as this happened on a (CoVid) Friday... 😡

V+D should have come with an adapter which works well with the Alitov 24v PS. I’m sure Amazon has the adapter, but check with the dealer first. Adapter is usually taped to the foam packing of the V+D. 

knowing my friend... very likely he didn't notice the adapter and throw it away with the packaging 🙄

told him to carefully check anyway

though... the 19v power brick, sold by Allo, specifies DC plug dimensions are the same as Volt's socket, whilst the one Audiophonics sells , *for Voplt+D*, is 5.5x2.5 😶

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

he found the adapter!

says the foam sheet was glued to the cardboard box and the adapter was in-between the two

anyway... :)

headphones system:

Hello,

Does bypassing the volume pot result in a noticeable change in performance? I have an m900 from Grace Design that is a combo headphone amp and DAC, and the DAC has a stereo output that I've connected to the Volt+ D. Still waiting on my 24V PSU to arrive, getting a bit idle I suppose :P

1 hour ago, Jayanth said:

Hello,

Does bypassing the volume pot result in a noticeable change in performance? I have an m900 from Grace Design that is a combo headphone amp and DAC, and the DAC has a stereo output that I've connected to the Volt+ D. Still waiting on my 24V PSU to arrive, getting a bit idle I suppose :P

Yes, bypassing the pot does improve the sound. With the pot, the sound is a bit thin in low frequencies. Amp blossoms without the pot and the 24v ps really lets you see the capability of the V+D.

unhook the wires from the pot-each channel has three wires. Twist the outer two wires together and isolate the middle wire. That’s it. Then you can undo what you have done if you decide to sell the amp in the future- but I doubt you will want to. Good luck.

Just wanted to take a moment and thank Chinquapin for taking the time to share his knowledge and answer our questions. It's very much appreciated!

I have just received my Volt+D today and am impressed with it already. It surpasses my old Yamaha R-S202BL stereo receiver! However I am currently going from my PC front 3.5mm jack to RCA directly to the amp. Should I set the gain switch to 26db from the default 20db? I am using the Alitove 24v 5a PSU that was recommended earlier in the thread.

1 hour ago, ampularity said:

Just wanted to take a moment and thank Chinquapin for taking the time to share his knowledge and answer our questions. It's very much appreciated!

I have just received my Volt+D today and am impressed with it already. It surpasses my old Yamaha R-S202BL stereo receiver! However I am currently going from my PC front 3.5mm jack to RCA directly to the amp. Should I set the gain switch to 26db from the default 20db? I am using the Alitove 24v 5a PSU that was recommended earlier in the thread.

Ampularity, thanks for the kind words. Glad to help. I would leave the gain at 20dB unless you aren’t getting enough volume. Remember that this amp requires at least 4 days of burn in. It will open up in that time.

things to consider: outboard DAC. Weiland SU-9. Will investigate if this unit can drive your amp properly. If not, then consider a headphone amp which can operate as a line stage(volume control). Cool stuff out there for not much money.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Hydemaintenance said:

Hi

I’ve been really enjoying the Volt+D (w 24v supply) in my bookshelf system and am wondering about the progress of the upcoming 100w version.

Is it to be a stereo amp or monos?

Also is there any progress given C19?

Thanks

On 4/6/2020 at 4:29 AM, allo.com said:

Working on it, but rather slow. It will take a few months since we are designing a LLC SMPS of 280W and a new front end.

Can’t imagine that CV19 is helping....new power supply and a new front end... hmmmm... Allo, are you reading my comments? Please include a vacuum tube(just kidding)😃

• 4 weeks later...

Question on the Volt D+. I currently run the amp with the 19v Allo power supply and a pair of Fyne Audio F302. Just ordered a 24v supply from Amazon. Was a tough search as I could not find the exact references quoted here in my Amazon site (France). I hope I get it right. 
this leads to a second question. I have a pair of KEF LS50 on order. They are currently retailing much cheaper here in Europe and could not resist temptation to try them out. My foregone conclusions after a lot of reading on the “power hungry” KEFs was that I’ll need to get a new amp to pair them. I was wondering though if the Volt with a power supply of 120W instead of the 60W I have now could maybe drive them? This setup is a bedroom setup (this is now my main music listening room). 

4 hours ago, al2813 said:

Question on the Volt D+. I currently run the amp with the 19v Allo power supply and a pair of Fyne Audio F302. Just ordered a 24v supply from Amazon. Was a tough search as I could not find the exact references quoted here in my Amazon site (France). I hope I get it right. 
this leads to a second question. I have a pair of KEF LS50 on order. They are currently retailing much cheaper here in Europe and could not resist temptation to try them out. My foregone conclusions after a lot of reading on the “power hungry” KEFs was that I’ll need to get a new amp to pair them. I was wondering though if the Volt with a power supply of 120W instead of the 60W I have now could maybe drive them? This setup is a bedroom setup (this is now my main music listening room). 

24vdc will definitely wake the V+D up. I find it to be quite adequate with 88dB efficiency speakers. LS50 comes in at 85dB with a nominal impedance of 3.8 ohms-should do OK in an average size room. My rooms are 14x24x8 and and 24x24x8 with irregularities (dormers). I’ll let you be the judge in your space.

Thanks. My room is about 6x3x2 (in meters) but it has 2 levels and the lower one which is the listening area is about 4x3x2.2 (in feet about 14x10x8). 

I'll try first with the Volt. I was last night discouraged reading horror stories about ls50s damaged when used with the wrong amps (albeit AV which has power distributed on a lot of channels) and how only a proper AB class amp will get you results with the KEFs.....

I do want to upgrade to Volt and send it downstairs to my living room, but hate to be forced to do it....

On 6/8/2020 at 4:44 AM, al2813 said:

Thanks. My room is about 6x3x2 (in meters) but it has 2 levels and the lower one which is the listening area is about 4x3x2.2 (in feet about 14x10x8). 

I'll try first with the Volt. I was last night discouraged reading horror stories about ls50s damaged when used with the wrong amps (albeit AV which has power distributed on a lot of channels) and how only a proper AB class amp will get you results with the KEFs.....

I do want to upgrade to Volt and send it downstairs to my living room, but hate to be forced to do it....

There are other digital amps out there that have more heft, but few sound better.