IGNORED

Help

This is more than kind of embarrassing. I think I am well on my way to finally getting this computer high end audio thing working. I need to select a dac and you really can not do that for me. I want to use an ipod touch as a remote control but not sure which app to use and how to find said app. I have spent 50 minutes scrolling through lots of choices and found nothing that I was looking for. Thanks in advance and like I said this is kind of embarrassing.

Mac Book Pro, HiFace, Cary Exiter Dac, Focal speakers, JL Audio sub,plus cable and cords from Audio Art and Shunyata, Hydra powered by Cambridge Audio

I know that and have an i touch. I just want to know what app to use and how to find it with the itouch. Thanks in advance.

Mac Book Pro, HiFace, Cary Exiter Dac, Focal speakers, JL Audio sub,plus cable and cords from Audio Art and Shunyata, Hydra powered by Cambridge Audio

What playback app?

Most playback apps can be remotely controlled using some method or other, but have you decided which application you are going to use (on your computer)? Are you using a Mac or Windows (or even Linux). Most computer apps have a iPhone / iPod Touch application which will work with them.

The first option is the Apple Remote application. This was designed to work with iTunes on both PC and Mac (and also Apple TV), but the protocols have been reverse engineered so that it will work with both FooBar 2000 and MediaMonkey using the plugin for each application.

J.River Media Center can be controlled using an UPnP Control Point software such as PlugPlayer.

Applications such as VLC and WinAmp have their own remote controls - some free, some paid for. Also there are various control applications for mPD under Linux.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

by Melloware, will also do the job very nicely, but you need to create a playlist for every album in your collection. There is a limitation within the SDK for JRMC that means that direct access to your library is not possible. Some say this is something JRMC/Melloware can fix, some say it's Apple keeping control of DNLA-aware apps! Lots of threads on Rivermote and other 3rd party JRMC apps here.

The JRMC wiki on remotes is also worth a look, with TRemote being of particular interest if you fancy using a Netbook rather than an 'i' something or another!

I want to thank everyone for all the replies but I suspect as I have a mac based system the app will work. The fact is though I have it found and installed and it is asking me to import a library which is obviously the one on the mac book pro but I am a bit confused on the next step. I guess i am just not very intuitive when it comes to stuff like this. Thanks!

Remote is asking you to choose a library to control. Simply go to your Mac and open iTunes.

You will see an icon for the iPod touch on the left. When you click on that icon, it will bring up a screen asking your to enter the PIN that will also be displayed on the iPod touch. Just enter the PIN and your iPod will now be able to control this instance of iTunes. If you have iTunes libraries on more than one Mac, do the same thing on each Mac.

When Remote starts up it will automatically connect, so long as iTunes is running on your Mac.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein