IGNORED

Lynx AES16

Bob, I definitely would lke to hear your experience with G-03X. My local dealer currently does not have G-03X in stock, only the rubidium unit on display which they can loan me. However, at 3x the price of G-03X and actually cost more than D-05, it does not make much sense.

This morning, I tried disabling synchrolock again and everything is working! Now D-05 is locked to AES16-SRC with single XLR at 176 kHz, clock in from D-05 at 176 kHz. Let see if this connection will remans stable.

To be fair, beside synchrolock issue, AES16 has been behaving very well with D-05 and I have been able to use it all the way from 44.1 kHz to 176kHz with D-05 clock output to AES16. Now that synchrolock is not an issue, I will try to compare both mode and see if I can hear anything different. However, problem with dCS is concerning. A couple of friends of mine who are now interested in computer base server, both have dCS gears. So they may indeed need to go RME9632 route.

I am now certain that there is a sonic difference bewteen single wire and two wire on the AES16. With 2 wire (Zaolla silver 1.5m, 2 channels only, sexed for direction) the sound is slightly less transparent but perhaps with a better sound stage as my RME9632. With single wire, both wires connected, hf sharpens slightly but the thing doesn'y sound 'right'. Unplugging the unused wire, the souind returns to nearly the same as the two-wire setup.

Why? Crosstalk in the HD26 ? They are known to be poor. Imperfect signal splitting. (note: I have not previously noticed differences in the UA2192 or dCS 972/954)

I am also suspicious of the maze of tracks from the connection header to the HD26 socket on the AES16 PCB. One day I shall get rid of it one way or another.

Can someone try the same and see if there is a difference?

fmak

As previously mentioned I have had challenges syncing my Delius with the Lynx AES16 at sample rates higher than 24/96 using dual wire. The problem was intermittent and may well have been attributable to a failing AES1 input, a software incompatibility or quite probably both.

Suffice that I've had dCS work over my Delius, addressing the issue on AES1, upgrading the software to version 2.30 and adding firewire capability. Post these upgrades locking onto dual wire signals above 24/96 is a non issue.

One curiousity has emerged though. When using foobar 0.9.6.1 with the SRC (Secret Rabbit Code) upsampler, I am able to lock quickly to 24/176 and listen to a variety of source material (24/96, 24/88.2 or 16/44.1) upsampled without issue. However, with the 24/176 HRx wav files - and with the upsampler off line - even though I can realise lock, the signal is plagued by noise - akin to the recording being fast forwarded. I am using the ASIO lynx option. Now the curious part, if I switch to Mediamonkey the artifacts on the HRx recordings disappear...and the beauty of these recordings is available as intended.

As to the question of whether a Delius exceeds or matches the Berkeley DAC (BADA). I have heard the BADA in a Rockport Aquila /Spectral DMA 360 system and came away impressed. It can quite comfortably keep such esoteric company. Unfortunately I could not A/B a Delius or another dCS DAC in the same context. Suffice that I discern that my rejuvenated Delius more than holds its own.

Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Indra; Preamp: Spectral Audio DMC-30SS; Amps: Spectral Audio DMA 360v2 Monoblocks; Analog Cables: MIT Oracle; Power Cables: MIT Oracle; Digital: Bespoke Server [AO WinS16, HDPlex 400 LPS, Pachanko Loom, JCAT FEMTO NET & USB Card / Regen Isolator --> Vivaldi DAC and Clock [ChordMusic Clock Cables; Vertere HB Pulse USB]; Racks: Finite Elemente Pagode Edition HD4 and HD9 Amp Supports. Power: Shunyata Triton v3; DPC-6 v3

fmak, I tried single XLR mode with both XLR wires connected and single XLR with only one XLR connected and I

agree that there is a difference. This is done with stocked Lynx cable. With single XLR attached, my impression

is that the background is cleaner, silent is more silent, a little more bloom around the instrument. The effect

is not huge but not difficult to hear, I think. I have not compare dual wire to single wire mode yet, hopefully soon.

Did you modify the Zaolla cable yourself or who did the modification for you?

I bought 10 ft aes Zaollasilver, cut 2 x 5ft from it, compared sound in both directions, and chose the one against the arrow marking as being clearer with better bass, then soldered onto HD26 plug carefully. Not difficult if you only want 2 channels but it does take time to solder and dress well. This is not possible with >6 mm cable and 8mm is definitely a squeeze. I omiitted the Word Clock in cable since this does not work properly anyway, although this can be done with a thin 75R cable.

There is an issue with the Lynx software/hardware between single and 2 wire operation. I posted this on the forum and got a useless response from Lynx. This is evidenced from the different sound when you pull one plug out on single wire operation and maybe due to crosstalk on the HD26 socket/plug and the maze of tracks on the pcb?

fmak

On the CASH list you cite a bespoke XLR breakout cable for the Lynx AES16.

Any chance of an update as to when such may be available commercially?

FWIW - Went the Redco route...less than compelling result.

Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Indra; Preamp: Spectral Audio DMC-30SS; Amps: Spectral Audio DMA 360v2 Monoblocks; Analog Cables: MIT Oracle; Power Cables: MIT Oracle; Digital: Bespoke Server [AO WinS16, HDPlex 400 LPS, Pachanko Loom, JCAT FEMTO NET & USB Card / Regen Isolator --> Vivaldi DAC and Clock [ChordMusic Clock Cables; Vertere HB Pulse USB]; Racks: Finite Elemente Pagode Edition HD4 and HD9 Amp Supports. Power: Shunyata Triton v3; DPC-6 v3

fmak, I will have to explore various cables a bit more. Right now I am waiting for some cables from Redco as my local guys have no idea what goes where in HD26. Myself, I don't touch anything beside on/off button on most applicances :)

I did some comparison today on single vs dual wire on stock Lynx cable and definitely prefer dual wire. A bit hard to describe but it is more mellow, smoother than single wire.

This should not happen and I was peeved off by the unhelpful remarks on the Lynx Forum. there is something wrong.

Very simple to identify the pins on the HD26; just look up the manual. There are four wires to solder plus grounds.

Dressing the cable is the key to a good job.

fmak

I installed my AES16e and fired up my pre-owned Mac Pro last night. It took me a while to figure out the Lynx setup, but I think I have it nailed.

I purchased the Lynx AES1604 cable. I'm using external clock mode, feeding both the Lynx and my D-05 with my G-03X. I'm also using the dual AES input into the D-05. My first impression is WOW! but that's without any serious listening.

The G-03X has a 100KHZ universal clock output, but Audio Midi reads it as 102. . .KHZ and I can't get a lock. The Lynx software shows 100KHZ coming in, but Audio Midi doesn't show this frequency as an option.

Assuming this isn't a "defect", what's the best clock frequency to use? Should I change it with each change in native resolution or can I pick just one and leave it there?

Thanks,

Bob

BPT 3.5 Ultra/Reference 3A Reflectors/MSB Technology S201 Amplifier/MSB Technology Analog DAC/MSB Technology Network Renderer/Audirvana +

Bob, I believe that the clock frequency has to match to frequency of the output track. At least on my

SCR version, the output is automatically matched to the clock in frequency regardless of what output

frequency I select. So I think the clock in to lynx has to match the output frequency of Lynx. That's why

I think the SCR version is useful as I have it output at 176kHz regardless of the original file, be it 44.1, 88 or 176

so I don't have to keep changing the clock manually. In comparison to have clock in at 44.1 while playing 16/44.1 tracks, output with no upsampling, I found the upsampling version to 176 has slightly smoother sound overall, less

of the hard edge so I prefer the upsampling mode.

Esoteric supports this 100kHz standardized clock but it is not something that is adapted universally yet and I am

not sure that it ever will.

With dual wire, sometimes my D05 will lock on easily but sometimes it will not and I have to select synchrolock (on the menu in Lynx mixer, setting>advance>synchrolock.

Chris prefers to use no synchrolock.

You can also use single XLR and get upto 176 kHz with D-05. In single wire mode, I had not problem syncing with no synchrolock although I prefer the sound in dual wire mode with or without synchrolock.

Did you have a chance to compare using clock output from D-05 without G-03X vs using G-03X?

Suteetat

Thanks.

I have no problem with lock (yet) in dual wire mode. I can also set my clock frequency at something other than the native frequency of the recording without any issues. Of course, I'd prefer to use the universal frequency but that may not be possible. . .I probably need to contact Lynx support regarding the Midi reading of 102400 instead of 100000.

What I'm not sure of is the sonic implications of using a clock frequency of say 192 on 44.1 recordings. And on top of that, I prefer to upsample with the D-05 to DSD. It's a royal pain to change clock frequency based on the recording!

BPT 3.5 Ultra/Reference 3A Reflectors/MSB Technology S201 Amplifier/MSB Technology Analog DAC/MSB Technology Network Renderer/Audirvana +

I think that that if you can lock on with higher clock frequency than your playback file, there should be no serious problem. You just have to listen and see if you can tell any difference and see what you prefer. However, I would try to keep the clock in as multiple of the playback file though so for CD, 44.1, 88.2 or 176.4. 96 and 192 is for 48 which is for DVD PCM, I believe.