IGNORED

The State of Speaker DSP

47 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

One specific I seem to recall is that no or very few systems can do channels independently (e.g. if you have an asymetric room - like I do).

Au contraire!  Almost all systems do each and every channel independently.  What they lack is the ability to correlate the correction in one channel with others with which they interact in the room.  

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

5 hours ago, Daverz said:

Could you expand on this?  I'm not sure what you mean by correlate here.

There are times when two or more speakers are reproducing the same sound (based on recording/mix).  As a result, correcting speaker 1 to be independently optimal and speaker 2 also independently optimal does not assure that, when playing them simultaneously, they sum properly.  For example, if they were somewhat out of phase at a given frequency, they would slightly cancel each other.

There are a few systems that will test adjacent pairs together after initial per channel corrections.

Kal Rubinson

3 minutes ago, goskers said:

I should have elaborated a bit more. Is the scenario posed above where each loudspeaker is corrected individually using DSP unique to that scenario?

Wouldn't the same result be possible using a non-DSP based speaker?

It is common both to speakers with inbuilt DSP and to the external programs used with DSP and non-DSP speakers.

Kal Rubinson