IGNORED

My CAPS 3 replacement--Engineered.ch NMR

I built my Caps 3 to replace my Caps 2. which replaced a early streamer and SBox.

I used Chris's design adding a PP usb card and an SSD storing my music files. The Caps MB was fed from a good quality 12v LPS with the PP USB card and SSD fed from separate 5v LPS. It has served me well.

I ventured into vinyl last year heavily modifying a Technics1200 and building a DCT phono pre. The return to analogue highlighted the shortfall in my digital system - a tiring sound with a lack of fine detail, highlighted in piano and violin pieces. My initial reaction was to try something else so I organised an Aires with LPS  and found this not as good as my CAPS 3. My next move was to try some tweaks to Windows so bought Fidelizer. This did yield an improvement and I have been running it for about a year. It tells me Windows is not perhaps the best software for my purpose. Im running headless and finding Windows upgrades a continual nusiance.

At the time I started venturing into Vinyl again a friend told me of a company in Switzerland ( www.engineered.ch  their MNR board) who make a variety of digital audio boards for other equipment manufacturers and sell one or two with evaluation boards for DIY - a bit like Hypex with their amps.

Two months ago he send me his own DIY engineered.ch carded unit to play with.

I was hooked at first listen, using 24/96 files from the LINN library I heard crystal clear piano and violins, I was a bit gobsmacked, this unit was producing the closest to analogue sound I had heard from any digital source Ive used on my system. I downloaded the tech info on the engineered site, located their NMR renderer and looked at what was required to get it up and running as a unit. Ordered their NMR card( 420 Swiss Francs, worked out at  about £ 350 into the UK with carriage and Duty paid ).

It needs a 3.3v  450-750 ma power supply, a coaxial connector  Cinch or Molex SMB to BNC, from board to case and a case itself.

Built the unit and put it to a full evaluation.

The whole family, young ears and older, prefered the NMR to any of my older streaming gear.

I decide on a full switch to NMR on both my systems.  Ordered a second board and built it into a 1u half rack to match my Benchmark DACs

All my CAPS and tweaked SB touch are now redundant.

Im running JRiver on my NAS which is WHS based, the two NMR renderers on my nework talk to JRiver via J Remote on an old i pad and i pod.

If anyone is considering a change to their digital streaming system and can do a little DIY  I would suggest they take a close look at this extremely well designed board. For a little over £500 one can get a renderer that will outperform units costing much much more on the open market.

Im not saying its beter than brand X or Y just to my ears its the closest Ive heard to analogue to date.

Ill try and post some photos.

Ianmac

Engineered.ch NMR renderer/ JRiver/Benchmark DAC2HGC/Hypex Ncore/ ATC scm40.

@lanmac
Thank you for sharing the information. The board looks quite  interesting,  just ... it is only DSD128, which might reduce the usage to a second system for some.
I am aware that DSD512 is difficult to archieve at this point due to the necessary computing power, just think it is a trigger for future usage.
Does @wisnon from Switzerland know a little bit more about this company and their products ?
Their NMR could be an enhancement to some JOB products, I could imagine ...
Cheers, Tom

@chauphuongThe NMR board comes complete with the MRMOD card installed on it. You need a 3.3v PSU.

I built my own PSU and case to match my Benchmark DAC.

@nbpf, as above I built my own 3.3v supply I could not find an off the shelf unit from any of the main UK electronic component suppliers ( RS and Farnell) that met my requirements.

If you download the data sheet on the NMR page 12 gives you a list of the Cinch connectors that fit the on board socket.

Cinch UK were not helpful so I used a molex equivalent from Farnell-  SMB right angle plug 75 ohm Molex 73100-0256.

My case output was a 75 Ohm BNC jack to jack insulated from chassis- Neutrik NBB75F1.

I bought   75 ohn BNC to BNC RG179 cable on ebay. Cut the length I need with one BNC  connected and fitted the Molex to the other. Molex plugged into the card and BNC on the inside case end of the BNC jack to jack.I use a 75 ohm BNC to 75 ohm RCA for connection between the MDR and my DAC. This provides a completely co axial path with no connection to chassis.

A case is very much a personal preference or two small cases one PSU one NMR. I used a Hammond 1455T220-1-104LF for my first NMR this is aluminium with a slide off top for access.

Ive tried to post photos from my imgur album but so far have failed, probably  Finger trouble on my part but cant find a sticky on the forum telling me the correct procedure.

Ianmac

Engineered.ch NMR renderer/ JRiver/Benchmark DAC2HGC/Hypex Ncore/ ATC scm40.

2 hours ago, chauphuong said:

Haha seems a fortune to me. Get back to Pi 3x+DigiOne nirvana... 

I have made a contact with engineered.ch. They said that the MRMOD module is included with NMR interface, so we only need to buy a NMR interface. Sorry for my mistake

• 2 weeks later...
On 24-4-2018 at 2:35 PM, Ianmac said:

@chauphuongThe NMR board comes complete with the MRMOD card installed on it. You need a 3.3v PSU.

I built my own PSU and case to match my Benchmark DAC.

@nbpf, as above I built my own 3.3v supply I could not find an off the shelf unit from any of the main UK electronic component suppliers ( RS and Farnell) that met my requirements.

If you download the data sheet on the NMR page 12 gives you a list of the Cinch connectors that fit the on board socket.

Cinch UK were not helpful so I used a molex equivalent from Farnell-  SMB right angle plug 75 ohm Molex 73100-0256.

My case output was a 75 Ohm BNC jack to jack insulated from chassis- Neutrik NBB75F1.

I bought   75 ohn BNC to BNC RG179 cable on ebay. Cut the length I need with one BNC  connected and fitted the Molex to the other. Molex plugged into the card and BNC on the inside case end of the BNC jack to jack.I use a 75 ohm BNC to 75 ohm RCA for connection between the MDR and my DAC. This provides a completely co axial path with no connection to chassis.

A case is very much a personal preference or two small cases one PSU one NMR. I used a Hammond 1455T220-1-104LF for my first NMR this is aluminium with a slide off top for access.

Ive tried to post photos from my imgur album but so far have failed, probably  Finger trouble on my part but cant find a sticky on the forum telling me the correct procedure.

Do you have some pictures, like to see them.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

@Ianmac,  I would recommend adding one small (around .1 µF) ceramic capacitor in one of the locations: C1, C2, C34, or C35, and making sure the stand off at that position is continuous with the chassis.  This grounds the NMR board at high frequencies.

Note also that the NMR will pass through DoP for those who have DACs which accept DoP on SPDIF (there are a few) and in set ups where you can tell the playback software to send DoP (like Minimserver).  So with some DACs you can get DSD playback to work.

Anyone who is handy at SMD soldering could also upgrade the onboard clocks for better performance.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Hello

I am a friend of Ian , and an admirer of his craft , and scientific approach of HIFI

I still own the RENDERER that Ian built

I have tried it against the Auralis Aries , Aurender N100 h , Melco N1A , Lumin U1

Well , I sold the Aries Femto

And the thing is that this card had one problem : Software was lacking in IOS

Now , with BubbleuPNP server , you can set the renderer tp OPENHOME , and thus use the Lumin app to control it

With the MelcoN1a , it plays in the same league as the Aurender N100 H ..

Not it's a question of budget

Soon ,I'll get rid of the Aurender too

Cheers

• 1 year later...