IGNORED

Sprout 100 ? NAD D 3020 ? Vidar ? Stellar S300

Hi RMMN,

I hope you are not getting too confused by all the advice you are receiving some of which has been good, some not so.

I cam across an article by Steve Guttenberg of C/Net, where in he states:

"The UF5 has a lower than average nominal impedance of 4 ohms, and it dips down to as low as 3.4 ohms. Not only that, the specifications claim lower than average sensitivity of 85dB. Translation? These speakers will sound their best with high quality, powerful amplifiers and receivers." He also goes on to say they are great speakers for the money. 

You can obviously find everything you will need in one box and I would support the above recommendations of Hegel, Parasound Halo, Job, Cambridge and Creek - I would add the Nuprime IDA-8, which puts out a 100 watts, to that list.

However, if flexibility is important to you can I suggest that you consider the DAC/PREAMP in one box together with a separate power amp and that you search for these on the second hand sites listed above as you will basically double your purchasing power, i.e you will buy at half price.

There are many excellent DAC / PREAMP combinations that will give you audiophile quality foundation for your system. I would search for the Benchmark Media DAC2 (or DAC 3) and the Mytek Brooklyn DAC, to name just two. These are a couple of years old but are excellent pieces of equipment that will last you a very long time and which most audiophiles (except GUTB) would be happy to have in their system. You can pick one of these up for around $1000 - $1200 used.

Similarly go searching for a power amp with a minimum output of say 100watts into 8 ohms. The manufactures of the integrated amps listed above all make excellent power amps, however, there are many more manufacturers to choose from. As a rule of thumb you could buy something a little older (up to 10 years) as there has not been the same level of development in power amps as with DACs and you should find something second hand for around $1,000. The exception is in D class amps and here you would be better placed to purchase something no more than 2 years old. Have a look at Nord amps or any manufacture who uses Hypex modules. Google is your friend here.

In summary I believe the combination of a used PRE/DAC and power amp will meet your budget and desire for flexibility while providing you with excellent sound and real grunt to drive your Elac UF5 speakers properly.

Good luck,

Ajax

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers