IGNORED

Sprout 100 ? NAD D 3020 ? Vidar ? Stellar S300

On 4/19/2018 at 11:36 AM, RMMN said:

Hello,

I would like to become an audiophile as a new hobby. I don’t know that much about amplifiers and speakers at the audiophile level. May humbly ask the more experienced  members of the forum for their opinion and recommendations?

SETUP:

I will be running with the Elac Uni-fi UF5 speakers. As a start, I’ll be your playing from my iPhone from Apple Music to Airport Express:output 3.5 mm Jack or mini tosslink.

AMP:

I need help choosing an amp:

Sprout 100 ?

New Version to come out in May.  I won’t be using vinyl.

NAD D 3020 ?

Vidar ?

Looking at the specs/price this is impressive.

Stellar S300?

PS audio claims this is very good. Class A —> Class D.

Any experience/recommendations you can share with me will help.

Thank you.

Aloha and Welcome,

Just to reiterate, the PS Audio Stellar S300 is a power amp and will need a pre-amp to function.  You cannot connect anything to the S300 without a preamp, or a more likely, a preamp/ DAC combo.

I own the S300 and its a great amp for the money, and the M700 monoblocks just received Stereophile's Class A rating, the same as the BHK.  Don't let class D throw you off.  The Stellar Gain Cell DAC/ Preamp is a perfect mate for the S300 and will solve your preamp issue.   I was quite satisfied with that combo since last summer, but recently upgraded to the PS Audio DirectStream Junior.

PS Audio is great to deal with.  They will take anything for trade and give you full original retail price as credit, doesn't have to be PS Audio gear.  They pay for shipping both ways on their gear and give you 30 day hassle free in home trial.  Highly recommend them!

2 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Your source is inadequate. Use a computer and buy an inexpensive DAC, say a Schiit Modi connect them via USB. Believe me it will be better than an iPhone seven ways to sundown! Now the Amp.

Of the amps you mention, I'd go with the Schiit Freya/Vidar combo. But don't overlook a mail-order company called Emotiva. They have an integrated amp (with a built-in FM tuner, a built-in DAC and phono preamp and control amp, 50 Watt/channel power amp) called theTA-100 that sells for only US$399! It's entry level "high-end" gear and sounds pretty good. It's a good place to start and with your computer and a USB cable to the unit,  you have everything you need. Just add speakers!

https://emotiva.com/collections/pre-amps/products/ta-100

Emotiva gear is also available from Amazon. 

It’s worth noting that Paul McGowan, co owner/ founder of PS Audio, has an elaborate all Emotiva home theatre system. 

Emotiva makes good stuff!

11 hours ago, GUTB said:

They make crap. To a home theatre enthusiast that just needs power, sharp highs and thudding lows Emotiva is pretty good without spending big $$$ on luxury brand names like say, Anthem. To an audiophile though they make junk. I wouldn’t even consider Emotiva entry-level.

When I was visiting the Emotiva room at AXPONA I overheard the rep giving someone a spiel about how Emotiva is being taken seriously as a high end manufacturer without the price tag or something to that effect. The reason why they aren’t taken seriously by audiophiles is because when I tried thier BasX class A/B amp (forget the model) it was the WORST amp I’ve ever heard, second only to the old ICEPower Teac integrated (which is truly unlistenable). My thought process when buying it was "how bad can a big modern linear class a/b really be?" Everyone knows "you get what you pay for" but I suppose hope springs eternal...

I think Emotiva’s model is take the lowest end parts available in the Chinese supply chain and stamp them together.

I love ❤️ you too ?

The OP has a budget. Just trying to encourage him in the new hobby. I have a very Audiophile buddy who is very particular and he owns giant emotiva monoblocks which he loves. They are part of a $20K+ system. 

We don’t want to grouch the OP away, now do we ??

45 minutes ago, GUTB said:

Pushing junk isn’t the way either.

In my humble opinion, and you are certainly entitled to your own, Emotiva is not junk.  It may not be top of the line, but junk is way to strong. 

If its junk to you, so be it!