IGNORED

Why!? Please Tell Me Why!

Why?

We all know that many audiophiles are crazy and they even imagine things ...

But I do not, you can be sure!

I'm going to tell you my latest discovery. Looking for a dead sound ... but do not get confused, for dead I mean without color ...  I found some human ceramic skulls (In Touch of Modern, of course). I put one on top of each loudspeaker, et voilá I do not need more endless search for cables, etc.

I think that the sale of them is finished in Touch of Modern, so those interested will have to look elsewhere.

Skull.thumb.jpeg.9ce0ccc6b3261612e0a84924a8ef53a5.jpeg

Roch

On 19/04/2018 at 3:48 AM, gmgraves said:

Similar cables are far older than that. I remember once going to a Martin -Logan dog-and-pony show at a local dealer some 15 years ago. They were showing off their then top-of-the-line speakers powering them with a pair of Classe mono block amplifiers each the size of one of those small office refrigerators. They were connected to the speakers with cables very much like those in the picture. I thought it was ridiculous then and I think it's ridiculous now.

Electronics technology is a big part of all of our lives, and I understand that most people don't know squat about it, and don't need to know anything about the technology to use the products. But I know of no other field other than audio where manufacturers take such blatant advantage of customer's ignorance to sell them useless products at inflated prices (Oh the car after market used to be a little like that. Remember 'Fire Injector' spark plugs?). I mean nobody sells TV cables as big as a baby's arm from the cable port in the wall to bring-in better signal. Nobody sells cable elevators for one's computer system or spikes to adhere to the bottom of one's desktop. So what is it about audio that stamps a big sign across our foreheads that says "Sucker!"? 

Why are you equating tv and computers to hi end audio? Have you heard accessories like spike supports make a significant improvement in SQ in a hi end audio system? If your hearing cant pick up these improvements, what gives you the right to criticize those like @Albrecht who can hear improvements and are prepared to pay for them.

33 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

We've been through this before. The things you say you hear from your system are so far out in the twilight zone as to be not possible - as in outside the realm of known physics. If you indeed are hearing these things that you say you hear, Frank, then indeed your hearing is different ad in delusional!

This is a switch in YOUR brain. The rest of us have to buy new, better, speakers or a new DAC or a new amp to click that switch. It doesn't click by dressing cables or soldering interconnects from component to component, or putting cable lifts under speaker cables. It just doesn't. I have a fine system, but on it lousy recordings sound lousy, and if I put my ear up close to one of my speakers, that's all I hear, is the speaker I'm standing in front of. Since I have Martin-Logan ESLs, I will say that they have better horizontal dispersion than many speakers and do throw a wide stereo image, but not THAT wide!

Yes, we have. The 'magic' is supplied by the brain, by having enough, clean data to unravel what's going on in the projected sound field - it goes hand in hand with what most people would recognise high quality playback to be like; you get the best of both worlds!

I've listened to many of the 'finest' speakers out there, and they all fail the test - not because anything is wrong with them, but they're being fed with a signal that's below par - the low level detail in the sound is too compromised, and the brain can't sort it.

The dispersion is not the problem; it's the quality of the direct sound that has to be of a certain standard - get that right, and one's brain does the rest.

As I have said many times, there are always going to be people who won't hear this illusion - but I haven't come across anyone yet who doesn't pick that there something special about the sound. The audio friend down the road has yet to achieve fully disappearing speakers, but he gets mighty close - it's just a matter of getting the last piece of the setup right. His wife has no trouble picking when it's in the zone; last visit, she popped in and commented how it was sending out the right signals, from outside - this means that it was loud, but very comfortable to listen to.

4 minutes ago, Rexp said:

Why are you equating tv and computers to hi end audio? Have you heard accessories like spike supports make a significant improvement in SQ in a hi end audio system? If your hearing cant pick up these improvements, what gives you the right to criticize those like @Albrecht who can hear improvements and are prepared to pay for them.

If one has a DIY bent then one can trial these sort of things with bits and pieces around the house - or from the local hardware store. I have never used anything "expensive" to date, because it's completely unnecessary - it's all about getting the little details right, the things that are overlooked in the excitement of having pricey objects to play with.

2 hours ago, fas42 said:

A simple example: a piano is being played, some nice Beethoven sonata say; it's midway between the speakers, about five feet back from the plane of the speakers. I can "see" the piano there, I can point to precisely where it's located - its physical presence is, to use a spectacular term :), palpable.

Now, I can go to anywhere in the room, in front of the line of the speakers, and every aspect of the sense of that piano never varies, it just stays there, as a "pointable to" object ... just like the real thing, in fact ... :D.

Any stereo system will do that if the speakers are arrayed properly!

George

31 minutes ago, Rexp said:

I wish some of you guys would think about what you read before you jump to respond. I know, I'm guilty too. I sometimes do that and realize later that I misunderstood the point the poster was trying to make because I hadn't been following the thread all that closely!

I am not equating cars, computers, and video to high-end audio. What I am equating is the fact that all of these are consumer-based interests or hobbies, and that out of these, only high-end audio seems to have been singled-out for snake-oil salesmen and other charlatans to fill the market with expensive junk: Green pens, vinyl record de-magnetizers, speaker cable elevators, and "treated digital clocks". In other words there seems to be no parallels in other hobbies (that I'm aware of) for useless and usually expensive "accessories" like there are for high-end audio, and I was just musing on what it is about this hobby that allows purveyors of such junk to flourish rather than rot in prison for out and out fraud. And I wasn't criticizing Albrecht or any one else. It was just a hypothetical question to which I did not expect an answer.    

George

44 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Yes, we have. The 'magic' is supplied by the brain, by having enough, clean data to unravel what's going on in the projected sound field - it goes hand in hand with what most people would recognise high quality playback to be like; you get the best of both worlds!

There is no "Magic", Frank. That's where you are delusional. Either the equipment performs or it doesn't. It either sounds good or it doesn't. Tweak till your heart's content and sure there are things about a system that can be improved by dressing cables and insuring gas-tight connections and the like, but nothing like what you assert constantly in every thread!

47 minutes ago, fas42 said:

I've listened to many of the 'finest' speakers out there, and they all fail the test - not because anything is wrong with them, but they're being fed with a signal that's below par - the low level detail in the sound is too compromised, and the brain can't sort it.

Absolute nonsense!

48 minutes ago, fas42 said:

The dispersion is not the problem; it's the quality of the direct sound that has to be of a certain standard - get that right, and one's brain does the rest.

Do you hear voices in your brain as well?

48 minutes ago, fas42 said:

As I have said many times, there are always going to be people who won't hear this illusion - but I haven't come across anyone yet who doesn't pick that there something special about the sound. The audio friend down the road has yet to achieve fully disappearing speakers, but he gets mighty close - it's just a matter of getting the last piece of the setup right. His wife has no trouble picking when it's in the zone; last visit, she popped in and commented how it was sending out the right signals, from outside - this means that it was loud, but very comfortable to listen to.

You are right, there are going to be people who won't hear this delusion.  Most people won't hear it because it doesn't exist outside of your imagination!

George

44 minutes ago, fas42 said:

If one has a DIY bent then one can trial these sort of things with bits and pieces around the house - or from the local hardware store. I have never used anything "expensive" to date, because it's completely unnecessary - it's all about getting the little details right, the things that are overlooked in the excitement of having pricey objects to play with.

That has nothing to do with Rexp's post to me or my response to him.  A complete Non Sequitur, Frank!

George

42 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Ofcourse there is plenty of pricey gear out there that doesnt offer improvement in SQ, we agree that its the little details that make the difference DIY or not.

21 minutes ago, fas42 said:

So, you can listen from a position that's left of the left hand speaker, and still see that piano?

If the piano was properly miked, yes. Mario Martinez' PlayClassics piano recordings are an excellent example of that. They are true stereo recordings. My couch is to the left of my left speaker. I can sit on that couch and get a fairly decent stereo image, but I'm not right up against that left speaker either. If I were, I'd hear only or at least mostly that speaker, because that's how almost all speakers work. Maybe MBL's Reference 101E Radialstrahler would still give a decent stereo image when the listener is inches from one speaker or the other because they are truly omnidirectional. But most speakers are one directional or, if they are di-polar's, then they might be two directional. 

George

18 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

I wish some of you guys would think about what you read before you jump to respond. I know, I'm guilty too. I sometimes do that and realize later that I misunderstood the point the poster was trying to make because I hadn't been following the thread all that closely!

I am not equating cars, computers, and video to high-end audio. What I am equating is the fact that all of these are consumer-based interests or hobbies, and that out of these, only high-end audio seems to have been singled-out for snake-oil salesmen and other charlatans to fill the market with expensive junk: Green pens, vinyl record de-magnetizers, speaker cable elevators, and "treated digital clocks". In other words there seems to be no parallels in other hobbies (that I'm aware of) for useless and usually expensive "accessories" like there are for high-end audio, and I was just musing on what it is about this hobby that allows purveyors of such junk to flourish rather than rot in prison for out and out fraud. And I wasn't criticizing Albrecht or any one else. It was just a hypothetical question to which I did not expect an answer.    

On 19/04/2018 at 4:05 AM, Albrecht said:

Of course what you are saying is completely untrue. Can you give some specific examples of cables that are "useless?" In most all cases, - speakers are not wireless, and even if there are wireless speaker systems, - there is still a cable that's needed from the wireless receiver. So those cables do have a "use."

Can you also give some specific examples of "inflated prices?" I would assume that you'd need to know the precise cost of the wire, and shielding, then of course the packaging that it's in, and accounting for the 40% dealer mark-up, deduce the percentage of mark-up based on the retail price vs the cost to build.

""They were connected to the speakers with cables very much like those in the picture. I thought it was ridiculous then and I think it's ridiculous now.""

I would hazard that very few people who are interested in higher performing audio equipment could GAF about what your idiosyncratic opinions are about what is "ridiculous."

Read more  

I don't wish to get into an argument here, but do you have any idea what you are talking about? Can you even read a sentence without applying your own peculiar bias to that sentences meaning? It certainly doesn't seem so. What the F  could a speaker cable that big do that an equal run of 12 gauge, 259 stand, oxygen-free, linear crystal copper can't? I hope you're not going to try to say that it has less resistance? Or that something impossible like "skin-effect" is occurring at audio frequencies? There is simply no reason (other than ostentation) for a speaker cable to be the size of an anaconda! That's what's ridiculous. That sized cable serves no useful purpose. NOBODY, Least of all me, is saying that cable, in and of itself is useless. We were discussing a particular cable (did you not see the photo? It's been posted in this thread enough!) and ITS size is what is useless! 

Learn to read and follow a discussion. You won't end up with egg all over your face so much!  

I've reposted one of your responses to @Albrecht who has only sought to defend genuine Audiophiles against Anti Audiophiles. How would you describe your response, critical, insulting or?

2 hours ago, Allan F said:

No worries, George. Like that man who lives in a big White House in Washington, D.C., some people have their own separate reality. :)

I wouldn't go so far as to equate Frank with the lunatic that lives in the big White House in Washington D.C.! Frank is just delusional about sound reproduction, the guy in D.C. is crazy. :)

George

34 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

If the piano was properly miked, yes. Mario Martinez' PlayClassics piano recordings are an excellent example of that. They are true stereo recordings. My couch is to the left of my left speaker. I can sit on that couch and get a fairly decent stereo image, but I'm not right up against that left speaker either. If I were, I'd hear only or at least mostly that speaker, because that's how almost all speakers work. Maybe MBL's Reference 101E Radialstrahler would still give a decent stereo image when the listener is inches from one speaker or the other because they are truly omnidirectional. But most speakers are one directional or, if they are di-polar's, then they might be two directional. 

And yet again you show that you do understand what can happen - you need to realise that what I'm talking about is a natural extension of what your brain has done, for that "special" recording. And you also mention a "special" speaker, the MBLs. Both of these factors have enhanced the quality of the playback, so that your brain has been able to grok it.

How the speakers work is only a small part of the overall requirements to enable this illusion - the level of competence of the whole is the most critical factor .. you see, I went and heard the most expensive MBL system possible, about 15 years ago, and thought, Well done! That's presenting a soundstage as good as the bottom of the line bookshelf B&Ws delivered to me, 15 years earlier - they are learning!

If you keep trying to insinuate that I talking about something bizarre, it might make some of the people here happy - but you're missing a chance of getting a better handle on things ... the industry is not being ruined  by scammers and robbers, but by consumers being obsessed about being thrilled with shiny, expensive and impressive bits of kit - the show off factor.

34 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

[...] I am not equating cars, computers, and video to high-end audio. What I am equating is the fact that all of these are consumer-based interests or hobbies, and that out of these, only high-end audio seems to have been singled-out for snake-oil salesmen and other charlatans to fill the market with expensive junk: [...] In other words there seems to be no parallels in other hobbies (that I'm aware of) for useless and usually expensive "accessories" like there are for high-end audio, and I was just musing on what it is about this hobby that allows purveyors of such junk to flourish rather than rot in prison for out and out fraud. [...]

Hmm... Streets around here are filled with jaw droppingly expensive cars. Nissan GT-R are everywhere. A few weeks back, I was parked next a Lamborghini Aventador that's like almost $1/2M. Then two days ago, I was side by side with a Lamborghini Huracán at a traffic light. I think it's the "cheap" two wheel drive V8 version. But still, top of the driver's head is like at my eye level. That's surreal :D And two days before that, there was a McLaren coming onto a nearby main avenue from a neighborhood that I normally avoid because potholes are all over the place in there. Must be even rougher for something like McLaren. If these cars are consumer based to you, you're living in a very different world than mine. But hey, it's a big world. No matter where one stands, there will almost always be somebody way above that.

As for throwing those responsible in jail, sure! Performance for these cars are so far above what's needed for mass transportation that these cars would have no other purpose than to pull dangerous stunts on public roads. People who make, push and buy this stuff should rot in prison for out and out illegal sh$^%#$!t. And not just cars. Wine and art have been pointed out here at CA not long ago. And obviously camera stuff too. These elitist counter-revolutionaries must be nipped in the bud now! x-D