IGNORED

Why!? Please Tell Me Why!

41 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Where do you guys get the notion that I'm an anti-audiophile? I simply don't understand that. I've been an audio enthusiast longer than many of you have been on this earth and have spent many hundreds of thousands of dollars on audio gear over the years! I am so much of an audiophile that I make my own recordings using professional-grade (and cost) gear because most commercial recordings don't sound good enough for me! How much more of an audiophile can one be? Just because my Master's degree in Electronic's Engineering won't let me buy into some of the nonsense that the audio snake-oil salesman are hawking and I know about expectational bias doesn't make me any less of an audio enthusiast than any of you! My criteria for sound quality is simple: When it sounds, through my home system, like the microphone feed sounded through my monitor headphones at the recording site, then I have accurate sound. That is far more important to me than the "great sound" that many of you are chasing in a vacuum, totally devoid of references. On the other hand,  I go to at least two live classical concerts a month - and will walk out of any I see using sound reinforcement! IOW, I re-calibrate my ears OFTEN. How many of you so called "true audiophiles" do that! I get the impression that most of you just sit around listening to 30-40 year old rock music and think that's high-fidelity and are pretty ignorant of what is possible in audio and what isn't. To me you guys are the anti-audiophiles because I have stayed true to the meaning of the phrase "Stereophonic High-Fidelity." while most of you have gone off on some tangent of bright, sparkling highs and booming bass, not realizing (or caring) that real music doesn't sound like that. But then most of you don't ever listen to real music so what do you know!

Ignore the haters George.

Anyone have a brand name?

On the subject of what's possible in audio, from where I stand all the good stuff, musically, has already been put down on tape, so to speak - you're stuck with the quality that's embedded in those recordings. So it makes a hell of a lot of sense to get the best out of what's on those albums ... and most so-called high end systems do a terrible, terrible job of extracting that info and reproducing it cleanly. Simply put, if playback sounds lousy, it's always the rig, not the recording - believing that money paid, bling, and impressive technical specs will deliver the truth is a fool's paradise.

1 hour ago, Nordkapp said:

They're terrifying. I am afraid of snakes. Seriously creeping me out. 

You do not have to be so afraid, just respect ... as long as you do not step on them, they will not bite you.

I have seen many during my entire life in the Rainforest, I have never had problems with them and in reality very few people are bitten by snakes here, but yes by politicians or Dengue mosquitoes.

I think the bad reputation comes from the time of Adam and Eve :D

But I do not know with the snake cables, or if there is an antidote ...

Roch

31 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

That statement is just complete nonsense. 

I've spent 30 years steadily developing that attitude - I have heard too much atrocious playback from ambitious systems to pay any attention to what others claim their systems are telling them ... and using that belief is a very powerful tool to pushing one forward to get ever better playback. It may please one's ego to think that one's system is "better" than a whole lot of recordings, but believing such shortcircuits a whole world of possibilities in terms of listening pleasure.

2 hours ago, MNG said:

My apologies. I don’t wish to interrupt the debate, but I’ve been through 10 pages and I’m still non the wiser as to whether those cables are genuine or a spoof - does anybody have any actual information about them?

Thanks.

If you're talking about the Boa Constrictor speaker cables, yes, they are real. I don't know who makes them but I have seen them or something similar to them before.

George

21 minutes ago, elcorso said:

You do not have to be so afraid, just respect ... as long as you do not step on them, they will not bite you.

I have seen many during my entire life in the Rainforest, I have never had problems with them and in reality very few people are bitten by snakes here, but yes by politicians or Dengue mosquitoes.

I think the bad reputation comes from the time of Adam and Eve :D

But I do not know with the snake cables, or if there is an antidote ...

Roch

When I was 15, I went for a hike on the power company's high-tension transmission line right-of-way as it ran from the power plant out to the highway some miles away. As I stepped off a rotted log onto the ground at one point, I felt a stinging pain in my left leg such as I had never experienced before or since. I looked around to see what had done it and I heard a rattle. There was a good sized rattle snake coiled-up next to that log, ready to strike again. I ignored the pain and moved-off quickly. The problem was that I was miles from any road and alone. I immediately got off the right-of-way and headed through the woods to where I knew the power plant access road was. I was feeling worse and worse. and threw up several times. By the time I reached the power plant road. I was in a bad way. Along came a power company vehicle, a pickup truck, and I waved it down. I knew the guy driving it (my dad worked at the plant) and I just pointed at my leg and said rattle snake bite. He threw me in the passenger side of the truck and took off like a mad man to the local medical clinic. I kept passing out and when I finally woke up, I was on gurney in the medical center and I heard people talking in the next room. My parents were there, and I heard what turned out to be the doctor say that another few minutes and it would have been too late for the anti-venom. Believe me I have a good, healthy, respect for snakes! 

George

8 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

When I was 15, I went for a hike on the power company's high-tension transmission line right-of-way as it ran from the power plant out to the highway some miles away. As I stepped off a rotted log onto the ground at one point, I felt a stinging pain in my left leg such as I had never experienced before or since. I looked around to see what had done it and I heard a rattle. There was a good sized rattle snake coiled-up next to that log, ready to strike again. I ignored the pain and moved-off quickly. The problem was that I was miles from any road and alone. I immediately got off the right-of-way and headed through the woods to where I knew the power plant access road was. I was feeling worse and worse. and threw up several times. By the time I reached the power plant road. I was in a bad way. Along came a power company vehicle, a pickup truck, and I waved it down. I knew the guy driving it (my dad worked at the plant) and I just pointed at my leg and said rattle snake bite. He threw me in the passenger side of the truck and took off like a mad man to the local medical clinic. I kept passing out and when I finally woke up, I was on gurney in the medical center and I heard people talking in the next room. My parents were there, and I heard what turned out to be the doctor say that another few minutes and it would have been too late for the anti-venom. Believe me I have a good, healthy, respect for snakes! 

George, by all means avoid those damn cables too!

3 hours ago, Nordkapp said:

Ignore the haters George.

What bothers me is the "Us vs Them" mentality that this kind of thing engenders. It's simply not healthy. It's one thing to debate differences of opinion and I think that's a good thing, but to actually spread hate on a web site dedicated to a hobby, of all things, is about as creepy as one can get, in my humble opinion. For instance, I disagree with Frank (fas42) all the time, but I think he's a nice guy and I think that if he went away, CA would be the poorer for it. Debate, yes, argue vehemently and resort to ad hominem attacks, not cool. But even I do it sometime and I know better! 

George

Just now, gmgraves said:

What bothers me is the "Us vs Them" mentality that this kind of thing engenders. It's simply not healthy. It's one thing to debate differences of opinion and I think that's a good thing, but to actually spread hate on a web site dedicated to a hobby, of all things, is about as creepy as one can get, in my humble opinion. For instance, I disagree with Frank (fas42) all the time, but I think he's a nice guy and I think that if he went away, CA would be the poorer for it. Debate, yes, argue vehemently and resort to ad hominem attacks, not cool. But even I do it sometime and I know better! 

Yeah, i think we're all guilty of getting ugly on the internet at times. And then we think about it and feel bad. Well, I know I do at least. 

19 minutes ago, Nordkapp said:

George, by all means avoid those damn cables too!

Don't worry. I have Sewell Direct's "Silver Back" cables 12 ga, 259 strand, OFC copper terminated with really high quality bananas. 

https://sewelldirect.com/hometheater/speakerwire

That cable and my Martin-Logans get along so well, that I have retired my four 15 ft lengths of Monster M1. Simply not necessary. 

Monster M1 (1 of 2).jpg

George

27 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Probably related, and appears to be made by DCCA audio. Can't beat a power cable that's big enough to swallow a power amp!

f8ba12c53d267fbcce4c52092a2576a0.jpg 

image.png

Just goes to show what's possible when certain people have more money than sense. Talk about overkill! Like bringing a 50 Caliber machine gun to kill a fly! But I'm not sure that DCCA makes the speaker cables we've been discussing. I tried top go to DCCA's speaker cable web page and it wouldn't load. But another site mentioned that DCCA's speaker cables start at $145, and I don't think It's the same thing. E-Bay was selling a pair of DCCA speaker cables 12 ft long for $550 (auction now closed) but I couldn't lift the picture. Anyway, they aren't as big as the ones in the photo we've been looking at by a long shot!

George

What this is most likely about is that people find that dressing the cables makes a difference - and hence resort to various techniques to stabilise this behaviour. If it looks silly, so what, if it does the job - I know I have had unbelievably messy looking setting up of cables at times, to sort out issues. You see, the attitude is, if it works then use it - it may save having to dive inside a component box and sort out the poor implementation in some area; a far harder exercise.

The last visit to the local audio friend saw us doing something to, adjusting, a power cable, which most here would think was ridiculous - but it was a crucial fine tuning: it meant the difference between slightly irky, unsatisfactory playback, and, solidly comfortable sound. Unfortunately, one has to move on from just doing Big Things with equipment, if the best sound is one's goal.

1 hour ago, gmgraves said:

At least Rattle Snake warns you with the sound when you are going to be attacked. Here the most common and poisonous is the Terciopelo (Velvet ) Snake (Fer-de-lance) and has no rattle to warn you.

Many years ago the father of a friend who collected snakes to take them to a large institute here, who prepares antiophidic serum and exports to the whole world, parked his car, where locked with a key he carried a large sack full of living snakes for the institute. Some thief opened his car and took the sack. Just imagine the thief when he opened it ...!

I am very careful when I walk in our thick bush and jungle !

Roch