IGNORED

Innuos ZENith "STATEMENT"

18 hours ago, baconbrain said:

Reached out to a dealer regarding the price for the 8TB upgrade but evidently Innuos has yet to decide what the pricing structure will look like. Will post when further details are available.

Brief update: Received a prompt response from Innuos and the price for the 8TB upgrade is basically "the difference between the 4TB and 8TB model + 120 Euros for service + shipping (this includes backing up and restoring the music to the new drive)."

Of course, one should contact the respective local dealer directly for an exact quote.

On 11/3/2020 at 12:13 PM, kennyb123 said:

Will there still be an experimental mode or something equivalent to this mode in innuOS 2.0?  Roon’s sound quality really benefits from not having playback performed by Roon itself.

How does that work?  using Roon and not having playback performed by Roon itself?  Are you referring to experimental mode?  I am using the Statement as an endpoint, I preferred Experimental Mode to Roon Core and Endpoint on the Statement.  But I also preferred moving the Core off the Statement and up-sampling to DSD 512 to the Experimental Mode.

I

14 hours ago, RikkiPoo said:

How does that work?  using Roon and not having playback performed by Roon itself?  Are you referring to experimental mode?  I am using the Statement as an endpoint, I preferred Experimental Mode to Roon Core and Endpoint on the Statement.  But I also preferred moving the Core off the Statement and up-sampling to DSD 512 to the Experimental Mode.

I

I’m referring to the integration shown below.  It sounds better than the “Use as Roon Core” option.  It’s also more stable as of an update earlier this year.  Thanks @nvitorino

7AAFBA01-0C14-4D00-9266-FBB24987182F.thumb.jpeg.ae1a63bf1a073d733a4dbdd24f53a9cf.jpeg

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

innuOS 1.4.6 is now available - I'm installing it now.

http://www.innuos.com/en/go/release-1-4-6

Tried but not seeing the new version on my system

My Innuos: Zenith 2020-12-02 19-04-04.jpg

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

ISOLATION: Stillpoints/Symposium/IsoAcoustics/Herbie's/PS Audio Powerbase

2 minutes ago, FrankMA said:

Tried but not seeing the new version on my system

I was actually re-configuring my music libraries when the message popped up indicating that it's available.  I had just finished deleting my NAS folder so I can start over as I've decided to abandon Roon.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

1 hour ago, kennyb123 said:

I was actually re-configuring my music libraries when the message popped up indicating that it's available.  I had just finished deleting my NAS folder so I can start over as I've decided to abandon Roon.

It just showed up for me Kenny. 

Wow. Abandoning Roon?  What for?  Did you have a lifetime?

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

28 minutes ago, FrankMA said:

It just showed up for me Kenny. 

Wow. Abandoning Roon?  What for?  Did you have a lifetime?

Yeah I have a lifetime Roon license, but just this week turned off Roon.  There's been a ton of discussion on the Taiko forum on WBF recently about the new TAS application that's in Alpha test for Extreme users.  The feedback hasn't been kind to Roon at all.  I wanted to revisit again the sound quality improvement from using iPeng against Innuos' Squeezebox implementation.  I had tried this months ago with my Zenith Mk2 but thought I should give it another try with my Mk3, as my chain has improved a lot since then.

I've been kind of blown away by how much better the sound quality is with Roon turned off.  I had been using Roon Experimental mode so I figured there wouldn't be that big of a gap, but unfortunately that's not the case.  Some on the Taiko forum have claimed that Roon's sound quality got worse a few updates ago.  I think they may be right.  

I do miss Roon Radio, but it's tough for me to go back as I can't un-hear what I've been hearing.  I hope that innuOS 2.0 enhances the user experience and also improves the sound quality further.   I've been amazed at the progress the Taiko team has made in only a very short time as I think they hired a developer only 3-6 months ago. Emile apparently made change on the OS side of things that reduced the impact of network optimizations and their music playing builds upon that.  It seems that most music servers are still only scratching the surface of what's possible to achieve.  

3 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

Some on the Taiko forum have claimed that Roon's sound quality got worse a few updates ago.  I think they may be right.  

Still Taiko them self wrote this.

Hello All,

We have conducted a thorough investigation in the past 3 weeks since the much discussed Roon update to build 537 launched. We have not been able to find any difference whatsoever relative to the prior build. The update we applied following initial reports of degraded sound quality should be considered as a “general sound quality improvement update” not related to Roon, in stead of a “fix for a sound quality degradation caused by the Roon update itself”. I hereby retract any statement made by, or on behalf of Taiko Audio that there does in fact exist a sound quality difference between Roon build 537 and prior releases.

I use Roon and dCS Mosaic (perhaps Mosaic is a bit better in sound quality) and I often tried to just use Mosaic but most of the times I go back to Roon.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
1 hour ago, octaviars said:

Still Taiko them self wrote this.

True, but I was going by what Extreme owners were saying.  A few of them have ears I trust more than my own.  My hope was that using Experimental mode would spare me from what they were hearing since Roon isn’t doing the playback.  Certainly Roon Experimental is better than Roon Core - but even better is having Roon turned off.  I am eager to see what @nvitorinounveils as I’m sure he’s well aware of how much better the internal player sound relative to the Roon modes presently.

@kennyb123 I got Roon from the begining mostly because the way it integrated my Tidal account and local files but since I moved over to Qobuz most of my listening is just Qobuz so the need for integration is not that big anymore.

I really do like how Roon works, the radio function for example find music I would never have found on my own but if for example the new Innuos OS2.0 and their new app would also do something similare that could be something to consider.

Quite a few members on a Swedish forum uses Innuos servers and now Phoenix USB re-clocker is making a buzz so my thoughts of removing my ROCK solution and dCS NWB and go with either a ZENith+Phoenix or even a Statement is something to consider.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
9 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

I do miss Roon Radio, but it's tough for me to go back as I can't un-hear what I've been hearing.  I hope that innuOS 2.0 enhances the user experience and also improves the sound quality further.   I've been amazed at the progress the Taiko team has made in only a very short time as I think they hired a developer only 3-6 months ago. Emile apparently made change on the OS side of things that reduced the impact of network optimizations and their music playing builds upon that.  It seems that most music servers are still only scratching the surface of what's possible to achieve.  

I had been reading the Taiko developments as well. I thought that upcoming software was for Extreme users only (and that server is outside of my budget). 

Agree totally on your thoughts on Roon vs Experimental vs iPeng. iPeng has always sounded best to me in my system but the usability is brutal (and there seems to be zero development). The Experimental player is better than Roon but buggy to the point of annoyance (at least on 1.4.5). I will be trying it today on 1.4.6 since it has the below updates:

New Features

• Updated Logitech Media Server to version 8.0.1
  • Updated AssetUPNP to version 7.0

iPeng may also be improved

I am also optimistic about 2.0. Agree that there is no way @nvitorino isn't hearing these same differences and incorporating improvements into the 2.0 update

The level of improvement I’m hearing with Roon turned off is the kind of improvement audiophiles would easily shell out money to achieve.  And yet all it cost me was losing Roon’s much better user experience.

I intend to use my Roon license to run Roon Core on a Mac.  I have a Chord Poly/Mojo combo for headphone listening.  The Poly is a Roon endpoint.

There is an issue with the new firmware in that I can’t update my Tidal credentials.  I haven’t reported it yet.

18 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

There is an issue with the new firmware in that I can’t update my Tidal credentials.  I haven’t reported it yet.

Per Nuno:
“There was an initial issue with the update that has been resolved now. However, we will need to reinstall the update, which we can do via remote session.”

He took care of that this morning so all is good here now.

• 1 month later...

about 30 minutes and a reboot