IGNORED

Innuos ZENith "STATEMENT"

3ppb is a measure of how accurately a clock produces a designated frequency so is by definition not a measure of long term stability. A 3ppb accurate clock running at 10Mhz would therefore meet its designated frequency within 3 billionths of that frequency. Its long term stability would be the integration of that error rate and may be expressed as either a fixed error over a variable time period for example 1 second in 10,000 years  or as a variable error over a fixed time period, for example 0.000001 seconds per year. 

Whether a clock has good long term stability in a DAC is irrelevant, unless you’re using your DAC to wake you up every morning. The fact that you switch it off every day renders long term accuracy moot. What’s important it that when its switched on it defines the sampling rate accurately, which means how accurately does it produce its designated frequency. 

• 1 month later...

My original post addressed your assertion that the parts per billion spec for an OCXO clock is a long term stability spec, which it isn’t. Its a short term accuracy spec. 

Regarding oscillator clocks, jitter is a measure of variations in the time domain

Phase noise is the resulting product of jitter in the frequency domain. The more time variation, the more frequency variation, hence the spectrum of phase noise. 

If you look at all the major oscillator manufacturers and resellers, they all spec their clock’s accuracy in ppm or ppb.  The lower the number, the more accurate the clock (the closer it comes to always producing the desired frequency) the less jitter and resulting phase noise.

I have several devices with high end clocks. They all benefit from a warm-up but there’s no real SQ benefit that I can hear from leaving them on 24/7 

Generally speaking, in terms of sound quality, a 30 minute warm up with signal flow is far more effective than leaving a device idling 24/7, as the idling device still requires the 30 minutes with signal to sound its best.  The only exception I’ve found was with my Naim Active System, which seemed to need several days to reach optimum performance and did indeed benefit from remaining on 24/7. And that system had no oscillators; until I added a CDS. 

Here’s the website I use to check certain definitions

http://www.4timing.com/techoscillator.htm

As far I can see, the ppb spec defines maximum deviation, jitter is a statistical measure of time deviations and phase noise is basically a statistical measure of the results of jitter in the frequency domain. 

So, an oscillator with high ppm deviation will vary substantially from the nominal desired time or frequency, while an oscillator with low ppb deviation will exhibit very low deviation from the desired time or frequency. 

If I have this wrong, would you kind illustrate how and where. Thanks

• 7 months later...

Given the degree of refinement engineered into the Statement’s USB its unlikely that a tx-USBUltra is going to further refine the signal.  Vibration control, EMI mitigation, OCXO 3ppb clock and direct coupling to custom designed discreet linear power supplies is not going to leave a lot of noise or jitter for a reclocking device to clean up, even when its connected to an external reference clock

I tried a tx-USBUltra with sps-500 with my Zenith SE but ended up preferring a direct USB connection via a Synergistic Research Atmosphere X Reference. 

If I was looking to further gild the Statement Lilly I’d be looking at the upstream rather than downstream side. Downstream I’d just make sure that the Statement’s signal output integrity was protected with really good cables. 

I really don’t see why that would be the case. Typically reclocking will bring benefits when the total jitter caused by the reclocking device, its interfaces, clock and interface cabling and noise introduced by cabling, clock control circuitry, power supplies etc is less that the jitter in the signal it is reclocking, otherwise reclocking will simply add noise (if the timing variations are random) and/or atonal intermodulation artefacts (if the timing variations are periodic). 

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/does-your-studio-need-digital-master-clock

Devices like the SoTM ts-USBUltra with master clock, introduce 2 extra power supplies with their inherent ripple and noise, 2 extra DC cables, an extra clock cable, 2 USB cables plus all the circuitry and interfaces of the devices themselves. Innuos has gone to a LOT of trouble to place the regulators of their power supply right next to the interface and clock, removing any DC cabling from the circuit, they have provided a 3ppb OCXO stabilised oscillator with its own ultra low noise LPS,  split their PS to remove vibration and noise, mounted their interface in a low EMI environment and minimised vibration. Its hard to see how the introduction of multiple boxes, boards, cables and power supplies is going to improve anything. It would be like taking a pure mountain spring and passing its water through a treatment works. 

• 3 months later...

I just went came back to this thread looking for a particular post and just thought it worth mentioning that with 200 hours, a Statement is nowhere near run-in. With its array of Mundorf capacitors the unit will produce its very best after ca. 4 months. It’ll sound great from the get go but the level of perfection the Statement is capable of will only fully reveal itself after a substantial period under power. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, str-1 said:

Interesting to learn that it takes this long for the caps to reach their peak.  The obvious question then to occur to me is how long do these caps stay performing at their peak before they can be expected to start deteriorating?  I remember from my Naim days many years ago that the caps Naim used in, for example, their power amps needed replacing periodically to keep these units performing at their peak.

Typically above a certain temperature, the hotter the environment in which caps run, the shorter their useful lifetime. The Statement power supply runs at a couple of degrees above room temperature so I would guess that their lifetime is basically that defined by Mundorf

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, JFHSQT said:

I figure this is as good a place to post as any...

Has anyone ever run into the issue on their Innuos dashboard where the Music Library, Import, and Quarantine options disappeared?

I just moved some files into my Auto Import folder last night and realized all 3 menu options had disappeared from my dash. 

Interested if anyone else has ever experienced this and if so, how it was remedied. 

Thanks!

Best place for a question like this is Innuos Support. With a simple phone call they can help you immediately without waiting and if there is a network issue, they’ll take a look and help you resolve it.  

• 3 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, str-1 said:

A helpful post.  One thing you mentioned that I had previously asked Chord Company about is the umbilical cable they make.  I think I understand it is just the longer length cable that is shielded/screened in the way you describe. I assume from your mention of intending to separate the Statement boxes that you have the longer length cables.

Thanks!  Unfortunately I know nothing about the Chord Cable range regarding the umbilicals, other than what i’ve mentioned. I bought mine through Innuos.  Mine are indeed 50cm in order to (as you correctly surmised) separate the modules onto 2 shelves. I haven’t done this as yet because I’ve been travelling and waiting for the umbilical cables and DC cables to burn-in so I can clearly hear the effects of separation. 

What I did decide when I saw the price of the umbilicals was that they had to warrant their price on sound quality alone. It took about 300 hours of ‘switched-on time’ to get to the point I was absolutely sure they were well worth their money from a SQ standpoint. They add another layer of realism to the music which is almost always worth paying something significant for. 

3 hours ago, matthias said:

Hi @Blackmorec,

it would be really nice if you can try it and share your impressions.

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt, that's going to take a while I'm afraid as I'm breaking in a new DC cable from DC3 to AQVox and it all sounds slightly off at the moment.  Given that adding a better LPS to the AQVox made a large positive improvement its unlikely that a direct connection is going to sound better as that would infer that the AQVox is somehow dragging down the performance.....but you never know. That's exactly what happened when I added USB reclocking. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, howiebrou said:

What is the connector connecting the transport to the LPS?I presume it must be a standard  connector so you are not restricted just to using Chord cables?

Bear in mind that the umbilicals carry 8 DC rails between them. I don’t think Innuos or Chord manufacture plugs so they must have bought them somewhere but I’ve no idea from whom. 

Also bear in mind that with the Chord cables, each conductor is individually screened so again, no idea how those screens are connected. 

• 5 months later...
9 hours ago, Kimo said:

Nice upgrade on my lowly Zenith II.  I imagine the SE will really shine.

Improvements across the sonic board.

I would never call the sound from a Zenith II lowly....just a few short years ago it would have been considered SoTA. Take care to optimise the network feed (Router, cables, power supplies, vibration control) and you have a system that can perform at an exceptional level vs the investment required. Good to hear that 1.4.4 brings across the board improvements......I was really pleased with what 1.4.3 did for my system so if this is of the same order I’ll be very happy. 

• 5 months later...

Hi there,

As far as I know InnuOS buffers albums and tracks to the internal RAM then shuts down network functions before playing, so the Statement is not constantly streaming over the network while playing music.  My system has close to 500 Mbps, so the loading of tracks and albums takes a fraction of a second. 

If you want to improve SQ, take a look at the network itself and the power supplies it uses.  In my system, improving those power supplies and cables have brought the largest improvements. The other major improvement will come from isolating your Statement and its network from the rest of your household network traffic. 

• 1 year later...

Hi Kenny, Luca,

Interesting series of posts. Kenny, I was happy you mentioned ‘the energy they put into blowing could almost be felt”. This is exactly the phenomenon I have been posting about ever since I added DC3s then DC4s to my network. The music has so much energy that there’s now a physical side to listening. Not the trouser flapping, huge sub-woofer style, more a solidarity and vibrancy that you often feel at live music events where the sound seems to energise your very being, without itself being hugely loud or penetrating. It just feels like a direct connection from the performer’s instrument to your body.

In my system, key to hearing this effect were Sean Jacobs PSs on the network.

The Next Gen upgrade to the Statement is phenomenal. Mine is still running in but there’s already tons of that magic ingredient that make you feel like you’re in the venue with the musicians, 

Hi Matthias,

No I haven’t heard the Pulsar. I heard the middle of the range Pulse at the North West Audio show and it was one of literally a handful of rooms that was worth a listen, but prevailing show conditions were such that all I can say is that it sounded typically Innuos (very natural, musical, non-digital) and therefore ‘showed’ a lot of promise.