IGNORED

Innuos ZENith "STATEMENT"

On 10/13/2019 at 6:26 PM, Blackmorec said:

Hi Matt, that's going to take a while I'm afraid as I'm breaking in a new DC cable from DC3 to AQVox and it all sounds slightly off at the moment.  Given that adding a better LPS to the AQVox made a large positive improvement its unlikely that a direct connection is going to sound better as that would infer that the AQVox is somehow dragging down the performance.....but you never know. That's exactly what happened when I added USB reclocking. 

In regards to reclocking, you are referring to the tx-usbultra used with your SE, correct?

• 1 year later...
16 minutes ago, nvitorino said:

Starting with the "Innuos control app", what we are doing is revamping the entire OS and not just adding a control app on top of the existing system. The app will be part of innuOS 2.0, which has been in the works for two years now. It is a major difference on the user experience you have now. It's now getting close to Beta release so we will soon start publishing information how it looks and new features, stay tuned.

Regarding the differences between "different control apps": The question is not the control app itself but the underlying technology used to playback the music. if your are using innuOS and say iPeng (iOS) and compare it to OrangeSqueeze (Android), they should sound exactly the same. They simply send network commands to the server, it's the server that plays all the music. If you use the Web player on the :9000 port, again it does exactly the same thing - send the play, next, volume, etc commands over the network in order to play the music. If differences are heard, check if things like volume are at 100%. Unless there is something we are not seeing, there should be no differences in sound quality between the different apps connecting to the LMS on our servers. 

innuOS 2.0 is a different OS altogether. It's not the fact there's a new app to control it that makes any difference in playback. These are things much more at the music player application and the base OS itself. I think there is simply confusion about the definition of "app". We tend to think "app" as the control application and nothing more. Some think of the "app" as the entire OS.

When other methods are used like Roon or UPnP, they use other methods of playback which is processed in completely different ways. This may lead to differences in sound, better or worse - you decide.

P.S. Regarding Roon in experimental mode, squeezelite is called with a different set of parameters compared to when used with iPeng/OrangeSqueeze, etc. This can lead to differences in sound quality. Some may prefer one or the other - this is audio - there is no single universal best...

Thanks for the update, really appreciated.

In addition, I sent you a PM on a different topic recently and am looking forward to your response. :)

I am playing around with the idea of expanding the local storage on my Statement to take my current NAS based music library out of the signal chain. The challenge I have is how to locally accommodate my library size of approx. 12 TB?

Have any of you faced something similiar? If so, what type of a solution did you come up with? 

43 minutes ago, Blackmorec said:

Hi there,

As far as I know InnuOS buffers albums and tracks to the internal RAM then shuts down network functions before playing, so the Statement is not constantly streaming over the network while playing music.  My system has close to 500 Mbps, so the loading of tracks and albums takes a fraction of a second. 

If you want to improve SQ, take a look at the network itself and the power supplies it uses.  In my system, improving those power supplies and cables have brought the largest improvements. The other major improvement will come from isolating your Statement and its network from the rest of your household network traffic. 

Thx Blackmorec.

My motivation for storing the library locally is more performance driven. In particular, I have noticed that the start-up time for Roon is significantly faster when the files are not located on a network share. I realize that this could be caused by underlying issues in my Network Setup, but the combination of the performance issue and my personal (purely subjective) SQ preference of local vs. network storage rises my curiosity in exploring what options exist.  I also feel that the current product's off the shelf max. 4TB internal storage is a bit limited, given the wide range of high-res music formats available today.     

18 hours ago, baconbrain said:

Reached out to a dealer regarding the price for the 8TB upgrade but evidently Innuos has yet to decide what the pricing structure will look like. Will post when further details are available.

Brief update: Received a prompt response from Innuos and the price for the 8TB upgrade is basically "the difference between the 4TB and 8TB model + 120 Euros for service + shipping (this includes backing up and restoring the music to the new drive)."

Of course, one should contact the respective local dealer directly for an exact quote.