IGNORED

Stereophile (TEN) Sold to AVTech Media Ltd (UK)

33 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

That is not what is going to happen as long as I remain Stereophile's editor. I discussed this subject in my keynote speech at AXPONA yesterday.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

Lets hope that does continue, I read Stereophile via a very expensive UK supplier, and though I disagree with many of the more 'subjectivist' articles, I do appreciate the overall balance and would be sad to see it change for the worse, which I am sure would happen if JA left.

1 minute ago, ralphfcooke said:

Lets hope that does continue, I read Stereophile via a very expensive UK supplier, and though I disagree with many of the more 'subjectivist' articles, I do appreciate the overall balance and would be sad to see it change for the worse, which I am sure would happen if JA left.

I miss Audiostream.com already. I enjoyed it. 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

Let's put it this way. I like UK's HiFi-News (originally part of AVTech Media). And I've been subscriber of both for a long time. Paul Miller (editor of HFN) and John Atkinson (editor of Stereophile) seem to know each other pretty well. JA has been editor of HFN in the past. So I'm looking this from mostly positive perspective of these two nice publications hopefully becoming even better as a one bigger family.

At least I like to see this through positive glasses until proven otherwise.

Sure, there are short and midterm uncertainty on various details, but those will be sorted out / cleared over time. Maybe as whole there will be more, even if some earlier things are discontinued, maybe new things will appear too.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I agree entirely with kirk's "magical-thinking wing" comment, but let's be careful to not conflate that with expensive prices, per se.

I could see a $40,000 turntable as being fairly priced.  Or unfairly priced.

Products can be produced as technology showcases (Bugatti's Veyron) or as something offering very high performance but is aspirational for all but a few hundred people (McLaren F1 - whose designer strongly criticized the Veyron).

To me, the magical-thinking wing produces expensive products that do not perform well, hence the need for blind testing.

Even if an expensive product does perform well, that does not mean it is worth buying, even for those who could easily afford it.  For example, I know many people who could easily afford a $40,000 DAC but would never spend that kind of money on one because: they have a built-in "cheap skate" orientation (either genetic or acquired during development); they would get more warm fuzzy feeling from donating to charity; or they would put money into a component likely to produce higher SQ/$ such as speakers.  

1 hour ago, John_Atkinson said:

We announced at AXPONA yesterday that Jana Dagdagan is the new editor of Audiostream.com. She will also continue to produce videos for us.

John Atkinson

ditor, Streophile

Good to hear.

You also seem to have gotten a promotion from Editor...

6 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

We announced at AXPONA yesterday that Jana Dagdagan is the new editor of Audiostream.com. She will also continue to produce videos for us.

John Atkinson

ditor, Streophile

I don't remember Jana ever writing one single equipment review. So she is fast tracked to Editor of Audiostream?! 

7 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

John Atkinson

ditor, Streophile

Thanks John, 

That's welcome news. 

I thought I'd read that Audiostream was kaput with coverage of streamers & servers rolled up into Stereophile.

Cheers, 

Alan 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

JA, I do hope you they keep you on and the magazine doesn't change too much. With my criticism of certain aspects of it, the magazine is definitely needed. It covers many niche areas which don't get much coverage (e.g., multi-channel and DSP) in audiophile publications, and your measurement reports are a big breath of needed fresh air and objectivity in the audio review sphere. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)