IGNORED

Stereophile (TEN) Sold to AVTech Media Ltd (UK)

10 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

I'm with @LawrenceDavid here.

A. Celebrating people losing their livelihoods is in extremely questionable taste. 

B. Your celebrating a corporate takeover that doesn't for one second even pretend to put us first. It's a money thing, not a vindication of your vitriol towards MQA. 

C. Regardless of whether you are pro or anti MQA (I'm undecided BTW) the merger of publishing and reduction of sources for independent views (whether you agree with them or not) is a loss to the community. 

@Brinkman Ship I've read a lot of your posts and you are clearly a knowledgeable and intelligent guy. But this debunk MQA at all costs lowers any authority you might want to establish. History will tell dude. No need to be so zealous.

While you make some elegant, and politically correct points, you are free to wish all parties the best, and I am free to not do that. ML treated people with disrespect, keep that in mind.

And more importantly..Economic realities are just that...reality. Their owners divested because they were underperforming, and out of step.

I had and no one here had anything to with it. Yes, maybe my comments are not in the best taste, but neither was ML and Sphile's dishonest endorsement of MQA>

1 hour ago, LawrenceDavid said:

Hooray! Let’s all celebrate people losing their livelihoods because of another bullshit buyout. Let’s throw a party to celebrate the people that work incredibly hard creating the articles we analyze and fight over are now unemployed. Let’s get together and hope their families also get really ill and they all lose their health insurance!

What the actual fuck? Anyone happy about this should be ashamed.

You people are horrible. Disagree all you want with writers. These folks are still human beings. This isn’t a victory for anyone.  Shame on you. 

I wish the absolute best for ML, JD, and RB the best in their future endeavors- and anyone who wants to celebrate the news of their departure can go right ahead and fuck off. 

Happy Saturday.

Agree completely.

2 minutes ago, crenca said:

@LawrenceDavid, your moralistic finger wagging ain't going to work because A) ML is not a "nice guy" B) It's just a job - he can go get another one C) ML really was nasty to more than a few of the regulars around here D) He too often supported products/causes that are truly not in the interest of anyone excepting those who make a few bucks off them.  

I personally don't wish him ill, though I do hope for his reform.  Prison is not quite the place, but surely some sort of Audiophile purgatory is...maybe a job flippin burgers?

@BigAIMc

A)  He has not "lost his livelihood", it's a mere shift - you will see him soon enough...baybe at the next audio show you attend demoing some magic cable or  other or perhaps Synergistic Research black boxes

B)  Corporations are not the problem, Voodoo Corporations are

C) Just any "independent" review won't do - it really has to be independent.  ML's views were standard Audiophile drivel.  A multiplicity of drivel is not a good in of itself.

To quote Meatloaf...You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth...

16 minutes ago, crenca said:

@BigAIMc

A)  He has not "lost his livelihood", it's a mere shift - you will see him soon enough...maybe at the next audio show you attend demoing some magic cable or other or perhaps Synergistic Research black boxes

Fair enough. 

It's the toxic sentiment I object to. 

If we are to stop reading reviews for being overly enthusiastic then we're done I think. 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

8 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

It's the toxic sentiment I object to. 

I get it. 

On the other hand, so much and so many in this industry are frauds (not saying ML is - he believe what he says..probably...maybe...does it matter?).  Really, much of this stuff would be illegal if the market was big enough to draw attention from stretched-too-thin consumer protection agencies.  What else do we consumers have except each other, and since the gloves are already off when it comes to manufacturers and these trade publications, what are we to do?  "play nice" and "play by the rules"??

Still I get it, you don't want to wallow the with pigs such that you become just like them...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

16 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Take a deep breath and a chill pill. You hate MQA. We get it. Arguing ML and the likes deserve to lose their jobs is not an appropriate response and is beneath you. 

Actually, I think more than a few folks deserve exactly that - to lose their jobs.  I suspect some of them deserve to be investigated by a handful of Euro and NA governmental agencies, and for them to issue real civil penalties (prison is probably going too far).

Thank our lucky stars, most of us rarely get what we deserve!

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

2 hours ago, LawrenceDavid said:

Hooray! Let’s all celebrate people losing their livelihoods because of another bullshit buyout.

Other than JA, how many other writers depend on Stereophile for their livelihood?

I thought that most write so that they will be treated as VIP's at hi-fi shows and to get lots of expensive loaner equipment.

4 hours ago, Speedskater said:

Other than JA, how many other writers depend on Stereophile for their livelihood?

I thought that most write so that they will be treated as VIP's at hi-fi shows and to get lots of expensive loaner equipment.

I believe that Michael Fremer, Art Dudley, Jana D, and few others were the only full time employees. All other writers were contractors. If anyone has any info that is different, feel free to correct. I am unsure about Reichert.

What a way to end the weekend..check out a post on this thread, then Michael Fremer's response...WOW!

"Stereophile and AnalogPlanet are little more than trade "advertorial" vehicles. I would guess that Steve Guttenberg, through his videos and articles on CNet, drives much more traffic on his own than all of the writers combined on Stereophile and AP.

Fremer response:

In the old days, for calling my HONEST hard work in Stereophile (including a good share of negative reviews) and in my website AnalogPlanet little more than trade "advertorials" I'd respond by telling you to go **** yourself.

But I've since mellowed. So instead I'll say GO **** YOURSELF.

What's more, your "guess" about Steve's traffic compared to our combined traffic is nothing more than ASS JUICE you should wipe up.

Now after essentially calling me corrupt, it's your turn to act all offended and write that me telling you to GO **** YOURSELF is "proof" that you've hit a nerve and what you've charged must be true.

I'm used to dealing with irresponsible, so predictable ****bags like you who spout off but have never actually READ what I write because had you, you'd not have posted such puss."

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/stereophile-and-related-sites-sold-layoffs-have-begun.744070/

6 hours ago, Brinkman Ship said:

What a way to end the weekend..check out a post on this thread, then Michael Fremer's response...WOW!

"Stereophile and AnalogPlanet are little more than trade "advertorial" vehicles. I would guess that Steve Guttenberg, through his videos and articles on CNet, drives much more traffic on his own than all of the writers combined on Stereophile and AP.

Fremer response:

In the old days, for calling my HONEST hard work in Stereophile (including a good share of negative reviews) and in my website AnalogPlanet little more than trade "advertorials" I'd respond by telling you to go **** yourself.

But I've since mellowed. So instead I'll say GO **** YOURSELF.

What's more, your "guess" about Steve's traffic compared to our combined traffic is nothing more than ASS JUICE you should wipe up.

Now after essentially calling me corrupt, it's your turn to act all offended and write that me telling you to GO **** YOURSELF is "proof" that you've hit a nerve and what you've charged must be true.

I'm used to dealing with irresponsible, so predictable ****bags like you who spout off but have never actually READ what I write because had you, you'd not have posted such puss."

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/stereophile-and-related-sites-sold-layoffs-have-begun.744070/

So obviously that post was removed by a mod, but it boggles the mind how he could think that vitriolic response to an otherwise forgettable comment helps his or his employer's cause in any way.

I think the departure of certain staff from Audiostream was inevitable. The last year has seen the editor openly attacking his own readers and potential customers of the companies that advertise in the TEN journals. 

The business reality is that this had to stop. It reminded me of the bad attitudes and superiority from staff that was very evident if you visited HiFi stores 20 or 30 years ago. Add the MQA debacle into the mix, with the consequent lack of trust for the magazines seen across almost all the forums. It's no surprise the new owners acted fast.

I'm sure nobody wants to see people lose their jobs but I think those involved have played a part in bringing this on themselves. Sad but true..

5 hours ago, Miska said:

Yeah, "streamers" are computers, just single-purpose ones. And I don't think downloads are going anywhere either.

The fact that these old school magazines refuse to recognize computers, software and computer audio in general as growing part of HiFi scene is certainly one of their biggest losses. They try to behave like such thing doesn't exist and by behaving so hoping it'll go away. Stereophile to lesser extent than some others though. But probably they do it because "computer audio companies" don't advertise much on print press (*). And reviewing computer audio things is not as simple as reviewing a simple single box solution like an amplifier.

*) Advertising on print press is very expensive and reach if fairly limited, and for example I simply don't have money for such...

Yes, I found it mystifying that MF thinks that "computer audio" is a thing of the past and is confined to "downloads"..

I mean talk about out of touch....

If he returns I want to ask him if his "evaluation" and comments about MQA were "HONEST"....