IGNORED

Stereophile (TEN) Sold to AVTech Media Ltd (UK)

I agree entirely with kirk's "magical-thinking wing" comment, but let's be careful to not conflate that with expensive prices, per se.

I could see a $40,000 turntable as being fairly priced.  Or unfairly priced.

Products can be produced as technology showcases (Bugatti's Veyron) or as something offering very high performance but is aspirational for all but a few hundred people (McLaren F1 - whose designer strongly criticized the Veyron).

To me, the magical-thinking wing produces expensive products that do not perform well, hence the need for blind testing.

Even if an expensive product does perform well, that does not mean it is worth buying, even for those who could easily afford it.  For example, I know many people who could easily afford a $40,000 DAC but would never spend that kind of money on one because: they have a built-in "cheap skate" orientation (either genetic or acquired during development); they would get more warm fuzzy feeling from donating to charity; or they would put money into a component likely to produce higher SQ/$ such as speakers.  

1 hour ago, John_Atkinson said:

We announced at AXPONA yesterday that Jana Dagdagan is the new editor of Audiostream.com. She will also continue to produce videos for us.

John Atkinson

ditor, Streophile

Good to hear.

You also seem to have gotten a promotion from Editor...