IGNORED

Tidal MQA Classical Gems

5 hours ago, Daverz said:

Sorry, it's the Karajan Sibelius disc in the post above.

Thanks, I've found them now and yes, they seem identical other than catalogue # - both are 16/44.

Interesting to note though that the companion Karajan Columbia  recording of Sibelius 2 also has 2 Tidal catalogue #s, but in this case one (68733741) is MQA. 

• 1 month later...

Not sure you’ve got them all there, I can’t see Shostakovich 6,  Billy the Kid, Appalachian Spring or Tribute to Vaughan Williams.

You can also try searching under London Symphony  Orchestra (or see their entry in the MQA  master list  at Meridian Unplugged ).

The various DECCA analogue classics are really worthwhile in MQA too (e.g. Ashkenazy Rachmaninov, Kertesz Dvorak, Maazel Sibelius)

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

the Everest tapes on MQA to be head and shoulders above the much vaunted, but supremely disappointing (to me) Mercury Living Presence reissues on SACD

Funnily enough, I find the few  MLP I’ve tried in MQA to be uniformly disappointing with a very obvious “squashed” character  to the sound.  I much prefer the CD box sets.

But I can only dream of owning most of the MLP SACDs.  Apart  from a couple of titles, it looks like the opportunity to get them at a normal price passed long ago.  Some really expensive  examples on Amazon, although I can’t  work out who would actually buy them.  Of course, if you don’t want yours, happy to take them off your hands for  the cost of shipping.....

On 5/25/2018 at 8:42 PM, austinpop said:

I spent a very pleasant few hours sampling the treasure trove of Everest albums on Tidal in MQA. Thanks again to @RJeff for bringing these to our attention.

I "grazed" about a dozen albums, and I completely agree that recording quality varies from album to album. I still stand by my assertions that these recordings, while outstanding, cannot escape the technical limits of the time. For me, this is most evident on crescendos. Perhaps it's because I favor orchestral music, but it's on the crescendos (or should I say crushendos) that these old recordings show their limitations.

To be fair, I find the best of the Everest tapes on MQA to be head and shoulders above the much vaunted, but supremely disappointing (to me) Mercury Living Presence reissues on SACD.

Of the dozen albums I tried yesterday, here are a few standouts for SQ.

Outstanding

0848033016304_600.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on the Mahler9. Outstanding indeed

• 5 months later...