IGNORED

SOtM sNH-10G - SOtM’s first network switch

On 6/30/2020 at 7:18 PM, Roasty said:

Not at rates up to 768pcm. 1.536 pcm my ER is the choke point. 

Otherwise no issues. Are u getting problems with the switch? 

I am.  HQPlayer 4 playback pauses then starts, pauses, starts.  I've swapped out the switch for another and the issue goes away.

21 hours ago, Johnseye said:

I am.  HQPlayer 4 playback pauses then starts, pauses, starts.  I've swapped out the switch for another and the issue goes away.

Hmm that's odd.. I assume you have tried everything ie rebooting everything, different ports, different hqplayer settings etc.. Hope u can get it sorted. Maybe contact sotm for ideas. Sorry man I'm of no help. 

• 5 months later...

Hi guys, question to those who daisy chain SoTM switch with an Ether regen.

which one connects to your router? 

Router -> SoTM 10g -> etherregen -> renderer 

router -> etherregen-> SoTM -> renderer?

I have a fiber sfp module and I’ll be connecting the 2 switches using fiber . I’ve heard that the fiber in SoTM is not that great. Which makes me think I should go with option 2. If  thats the case, where should I connect my renderer on the SoTM  (which ports)? Ports closest to the fiber or farthest ?

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Mr. Derrick,

I've been into audio for quite a few years. However, too much lack of technical knowledge.

Question: switch ppa quad with a ppa fc 5 streamer.

Equipment:

dac lks ma 004: use the built-in amanero combo dac usb dac to fc 5

bryston bp26, br mps and bryston amps pmc 7bsst2

speakers tannoy dmt 15 (dc 3833GG) in cabinets specially made to exact specifications at ear height with a weight of 129 kg each.

STREAMING SOLUTION

standard ziggo modem:

tp link s108 switch:
2 x gigabit media converter:

2x netgear sfp module:
cat 6 utp cables

Ask:

Does it make sense to add a paul pang quad switch in the chain.

modem ziggo ... ppa quad switch ... gigabit media conv .. gigabit media conv ... streamer fc 5 .. dac with usb dac to streamer fc 5.

I am not technical at all, hence my question to you as an experience expert.

Budget for switch USD 1500-USD 2000.

And is ppa quad a good switch.
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello.

I do have this switch for a good year using a MUTEC REF10 as an external clock. Yes. I am very happy with this switch and do not want to miss in my chain. Well, I have bought the standard wire and have overseen the option for wire upgrades. Before I move on to order new wires I would like to know what the purpose of this cables is. Why are there anyhow internal wires used?
Can anybody explain this to me? Thanks

piCorePlayer 6.1.0 (LMS 8.0.1 @ Squeezelite) on rPi 3B+ -> Allo DigiOne -> Mutec MC-3+ Smart Clock USB & Muetc REF10 -> RME ADI-2 DAC -> Unison Research Sinfonia-> Klipsch Forte III. (Source: Qobuz, Spotify and 1TB USB FLAC files)

15 hours ago, schiff1108 said:

Hello.

I do have this switch for a good year using a MUTEC REF10 as an external clock. Yes. I am very happy with this switch and do not want to miss in my chain. Well, I have bought the standard wire and have overseen the option for wire upgrades. Before I move on to order new wires I would like to know what the purpose of this cables is. Why are there anyhow internal wires used?
Can anybody explain this to me? Thanks

Hi, the internal wire is required for the sCLK-EX installations.

• 5 months later...

Hello, few questions concerning this switch that I’ve tested briefly when it has been released and not so much impressed.

• What are the criteria that should drive the selection of the voltage (9, 12V,…) ?
  • Did somebody tested the version with the 10MHz input and has any feedbacks ?

Thanks

Hi guys, I have a question about the standard and upgraded versions of this Switch.

Earlier this month, I borrowed the standard Switch + standard PSU from a local distributor to try, and after hearing a clear improvement, I ordered the fully upgraded versions (Switch + PSU), and based on the boxes the specs are as follows:
- PSU: Silver DC Cable / SE-S / CAP / eABC
- Switch: sCLK-EX / 12V / MC75 / SE-S / EVOX / eABS

I received them earlier last week and when I replaced them with the loaner (standard), I was surprised that this upgraded version sounds brighter / harsher and not as full-bodied as the standard version.

Q.thumb.jpg.ef4d95f4788f8e33b14d495cf8d740d9.jpg

I stacked them and compared both with the same AC + LAN cables and the difference was very clear.

Units with gold badges are loaner (standard version) and units with silver badges are mine (upgraded).

I truly have no idea what might have caused this and below are my observation:

- Is it because of the voltage? The standard version uses 9V but mine uses 12V. I understand that if the external clock is installed, 12V is required... is this correct? Would voltage affect how the unit sound? What will happen if I reduce my voltage setting behind the PSU from 12V to 9V?

- Now mine have around 70-75 hours on them (both PSU and Switch) but still sound brighter than the loaner (that has countless hours on... possible thousands). How long would it take for the Switch / PSU to fully burn in?

- Is it possible that all the silver upgrades/components inside the black unit cause it to be bright?

Any suggestions or tips / settings I might try to make it sound more full would be appreciated!

FYI, I made sure to recheck the voltage setting of the PSU and both units were setup correctly (standard version with 9V and upgraded with 12V).

Thanks!

Hello @PrTv i'm afraid i don't have clear feedbacks to share with you except that my first assumption was more on the burning time side : you need perhaps more than 70 hours. Silver is reputed to bring more bright sound but harsh not sure. Yoou don't have any opportunity to try another 12V PSU different than the upgraded one you ordered in order to evaluate if it could come from this PSU ? I understand you can not put the one you loaned as it is a 9V.

In fact, i'm very interested in your feedback as i was looking to the same full option switch you selected ( sCLK-EX / 12V / MC75 / SE-S / EVOX / eABS) with priority to sCLK-EX and MC input. Do you confirm that if i want the MC input, the 12V option is mandatory ? I also understood that SoTM is recommended the 50ohm and not the 75ohm : with which 10Mhz clock are you using the sNH-10G ?

7 minutes ago, Patatorz said:

Hello @PrTv i'm afraid i don't have clear feedbacks to share with you except that my first assumption was more on the burning time side : you need perhaps more than 70 hours. Silver is reputed to bring more bright sound but harsh not sure. Yoou don't have any opportunity to try another 12V PSU different than the upgraded one you ordered in order to evaluate if it could come from this PSU ? I understand you can not put the one you loaned as it is a 9V.

In fact, i'm very interested in your feedback as i was looking to the same full option switch you selected ( sCLK-EX / 12V / MC75 / SE-S / EVOX / eABS) with priority to sCLK-EX and MC input. Do you confirm that if i want the MC input, the 12V option is mandatory ? I also understood that SoTM is recommended the 50ohm and not the 75ohm : with which 10Mhz clock are you using the sNH-10G ?

The loaner PSU can also be adjusted to 12V and I tried to use it with my (black) unit. I don't think the brightness was reduced with the standard PSU (at 12V). To clarify, I do not use the MC port at all. It just comes pre-config with the unit I purchase (one that local distributor in my country had in stock).

My switch has internal clock upgrade and the 75ohm clock input will never be used as I don't have external clock device.

I understand that inside the switch the voltage can be changed, but I don't know if 12V is mandatory with the upgraded clock board.

• 2 weeks later...

Some observations of mine over the course of time spent with the SOtM switch and related paraphernalia:

. The 12V are required because of the power requirements of the added internal clock module.

. SOtM gear need a healthy dose of breakup, especially the ones with the silver wiring.

. SOtM switches are synergistically mated to their own (filtered) cables, so an SOtM switch with the SOtM ethernet cables to and fro sounds different to an SOtM switch with other (however good they might be) cables. The SOtM cables add serious body, weight and smoothness to the overall presentation.

. The power supply also plays a very important role: for example if you prefer a "smoother" sound you could try a Farad Super 3 and if you prefer a more "dynamic" one you can try a Plixir Elite.

. Proper isolation from vibration (by means of footers and added weight on top) is also very important.

. Preferably, the switch should receive very clean power from a different outlet than the rest of the system, if possible.

On 5/6/2022 at 9:03 AM, tedwoods said:

. SOtM gear need a healthy dose of breakup, especially the ones with the silver wiring.

Well. I am not an English native speaker. But trying to understand what is meant with "....breakup". You can explain?

piCorePlayer 6.1.0 (LMS 8.0.1 @ Squeezelite) on rPi 3B+ -> Allo DigiOne -> Mutec MC-3+ Smart Clock USB & Muetc REF10 -> RME ADI-2 DAC -> Unison Research Sinfonia-> Klipsch Forte III. (Source: Qobuz, Spotify and 1TB USB FLAC files)