IGNORED

SOtM sNH-10G - SOtM’s first network switch

On 2/8/2019 at 12:44 AM, incus said:

I have done a lot of playing around with new SOtM products in the last month, including the addition of two new switches, fully loaded. They are tethered by optical across the room from my two-channel rig to my headphone rig. At the same time, I upgraded one of my sMS-200 Ultras to the SE version and was able to A/B with my other, non-SE version 200Ultra. I also have a SOtM server I am testing out - this one Ultra and SE too. I would rank the improvements in the following way: the switches brought the most profound increase to my system over all - an increase in ease (which I attribute to better timing) and detail (which I attribute to the filters) and over all tonal balance (which I attribute to the sCLK boards and the caps). The second greatest SQ bump has come from the server which is externally clocked by the SOtM Master Clock. A quietness to the background and a fleshiness to the midrange that I find intoxicating. Then the third level of increase would be the introduction of the Evox caps in the SE version of the sMS-200Ultra: that refined, airy, and detailed soundscape that SOtM is known for received a more balanced bottom end and punchier lower mids from the caps. None of these upgrades are cheap, of course, except the caps, but I thought it might be helpful to know that the switch was the most obvious upgrade among them. I would definitely opt for the one with the sCLK board and the Evox caps. Master Clock optional. In fact, interestingly, with the second switch at my desktop feeding the SE version of the sMS-200 Ultra, I no longer feel I need my Mutec Ref-10 to clock them. In fact, I am going to sell it because I prefer the sound of just the SE switch and SE sMS-200Ultra. Hope that helps.

Hi,

Which two new switches are you using?  I can see one is the sNH-10G but no idea what the other is. 

• 4 months later...

Anyone had any luck with trying the optical connection ? 

I have just connected the TP-MC220L Ethernet to optical converter, two TP-LINK TL-SM311LM SFP modules, LC/LC 62,5/125um OM1 optical cable and ... it doesnt work.

In the TP-MC220L Power and Link FX LEDs are on. Link TP and RX LEDs are off.

In the SOtM switch only power LED is on (when I connect the wired etherned cable then the two LEDs from that cable input do light up, so the switch definately works).

Any ideas?

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

On 7/9/2019 at 6:09 AM, Elberoth said:

Anyone had any luck with trying the optical connection ? 

I have just connected the TP-MC220L Ethernet to optical converter, two TP-LINK TL-SM311LM SFP modules, LC/LC 62,5/125um OM1 optical cable and ... it doesnt work.

In the TP-MC220L Power and Link FX LEDs are on. Link TP and RX LEDs are off.

In the SOtM switch only power LED is on (when I connect the wired etherned cable then the two LEDs from that cable input do light up, so the switch definately works).

Any ideas?

Long shot, but you may have to set the TP-Links to auto or force (the same on ea) setting.  It looks like the switch handles 100+1G speeds but seem to recall something with speeds or flow control have to be set correctly in other situations.  I ended up getting a Trendnet's MFC to mitigate a speed discrepancy between devices.

My rig

On 2/8/2019 at 12:44 AM, incus said:

I have done a lot of playing around with new SOtM products in the last month, including the addition of two new switches, fully loaded. They are tethered by optical across the room from my two-channel rig to my headphone rig. At the same time, I upgraded one of my sMS-200 Ultras to the SE version and was able to A/B with my other, non-SE version 200Ultra. I also have a SOtM server I am testing out - this one Ultra and SE too. I would rank the improvements in the following way: the switches brought the most profound increase to my system over all - an increase in ease (which I attribute to better timing) and detail (which I attribute to the filters) and over all tonal balance (which I attribute to the sCLK boards and the caps). The second greatest SQ bump has come from the server which is externally clocked by the SOtM Master Clock. A quietness to the background and a fleshiness to the midrange that I find intoxicating. Then the third level of increase would be the introduction of the Evox caps in the SE version of the sMS-200Ultra: that refined, airy, and detailed soundscape that SOtM is known for received a more balanced bottom end and punchier lower mids from the caps. None of these upgrades are cheap, of course, except the caps, but I thought it might be helpful to know that the switch was the most obvious upgrade among them. I would definitely opt for the one with the sCLK board and the Evox caps. Master Clock optional. In fact, interestingly, with the second switch at my desktop feeding the SE version of the sMS-200 Ultra, I no longer feel I need my Mutec Ref-10 to clock them. In fact, I am going to sell it because I prefer the sound of just the SE switch and SE sMS-200Ultra. Hope that helps.

It's nice to see you have taken great pains to isolate your network.

I have had much success now also, isolating and clocking my the fibre connections between this and the main router (wifi disabled) and my secondary router which solely provides provides wifi throughout.

There is a nice and for me, huge improvement to streaming isolating my non music network. This  is after going the same route which you have also taken with your switches and you may be more than pleasantly surprised.

On 7/13/2019 at 10:16 AM, justubes said:

It's nice to see you have taken great pains to isolate your network.

I have had much success now also, isolating and clocking my the fibre connections between this and the main router (wifi disabled) and my secondary router which solely provides provides wifi throughout.

There is a nice and for me, huge improvement to streaming isolating my non music network. This  is after going the same route which you have also taken with your switches and you may be more than pleasantly surprised.

Nice read, do you have a schematic of your network setup ?

Sorry no.

But i will try my best to describe in an easy for everyone  to understand.

My main router with wifi disabled ditributes 2 lan cables, one for streaming network through 2 sotm switches connected by fibre.

My other line for wifi goes like this...

Main router Asus router (sclk-ex with linear psu) ------Rj45 ----FMC (vcxo reclocked wirh linear psu)-------FMC -------hp switch (vcxo reclocked)------Netgear S8000 gaming switch ------- Netgear router for wifi and 1 lan line. Old 12v bricks were used for the rest.

To note that the reclocked fmc and switch including the Nighthawk S8000 clearly made a nice improvement and the 1st fmc was tested with the same stock model which makes an improvement but the reclocked one aound smoother.

I just placed the Nighthawk which was unsuccesfully ocxo clocked left from a year back replaced a atock linksys 5 port model. 

The Nighthawk in this position just sound better.

I know it is strange why should all this matter and because i had these switches and fmc left over from unused serial implementation and as spqres for  my main streaming line. 

It did make a worthy difference but until i replace the 1st clocked fmc and the Nighthhawk switch did i really appreciate that the difference it contibutes was clear and wanted to contribute my findings back to this forum which started me on a long network implementation for streaming tidal a few years back.

It has taken this long for me through this process with many failed attempts and a truly rewarding journey, sonically.

I have at least went through to ocxo clock about 20 switches which some were used in series and fmcs to date and a lot to expenditure with failures and especially fmc which just stopped working .... Countless hours and sweat included.

OK, I have reconnected everything and somehow it started to work.

So the following components:

- TP-MC220L Ethernet to optical converter

- TP-LINK TL-SM311LM SFP modules

- LC/LC 62,5/125um OM1 optical cable 

DO work with the SOtM sNH-10G switch, no problem.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, k27R said:

Heeft iemand instructies voor het wijzigen van de ingangsspanning van 9 V naar 12 V? If you have the standard sNH10G you can play without problems 9-12volts. Without an adjustment. I,m playing on 12v right now!   Wachtout! de more expensieve ones with clock insides needs an adjustment. I,ve got the schemes if you want to.

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone using this with the Sonore Optical Module?  The switch is very slow to recognize it after startup.  Here's what Andrew Gillis said:

"No it's not normal but I have seen that with a few different switches. I'm not sure what causes that. I have see it with about 5% of the switches we have tested my guess is they all use the same switch chip and it has a problem. I seems like the switch manufactures are working on a fix. I have a Netgear switch taht has the problem it is labeled ver 1.0 I then purchased the same switch again (ver 1.1) and it was fine."

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, ehoz said:

HI Folks,

whats the recommendation regarding the sound quality between having the EVOX capacitors vs not having it ?

Thanks.

E

The Sotm Evox version is absolutely more beautiful than the standard version;  I have compared them both.  The Evox version also had the clock and silver cable internally.  It is a big step.  But you could also take 2 standard switches for the same money.  even then you make a big step musically.

5 hours ago, ehoz said:

Whats the recommendation regarding the EVOX capacitors ... do they make a sonic difference ?

Most definitely, just upgraded my Trifecta and switch. Its a big big jump. Love it. Waiting on my Master clock now. Wonder how the current SQ can be bettered? It's going to be interesting as I am venturing into unchartered waters here.

I thought I'd share my experience here. I have been listening to the SoTM switch for the past 24 hours. I know they say 50 hour burn in but here are my impressions:

1. My upstream chain consists of ISP Modem -> CAT 5e Cable. -> Netgear Orbi Router -> Wireless -> Netgear Satellite -> SoTM CAT 7 cable -> SoTM Switch (powered by Sps-500) -> Direcstream DAC

2. I have played around with going direct from the Satellite -> DAC vs Satellite -> Switch ->DAC

Ive got to say that for me the biggest difference was the SoTM Cat & cable. I don't have a WHOA moment with the SoTM switch in my system. This could very well be the sps-500 or the fact that I don't have the EQVOX caps....not sure.

Either way - I am going back and forth with and without switch...and so far I think its a close call.

13 hours ago, ehoz said:

Ive got to say that for me the biggest difference was the SoTM Cat & cable. I don't have a WHOA moment with the SoTM switch in my system. This could very well be the sps-500 or the fact that I don't have the EQVOX caps....not sure.

Do you have the Sclk-ex installed?