IGNORED

Same SSD sounds better via USB vs internal SATA connection

When used as an internal SSD via SATA, you will normally get markedly improved results if you improve the PSU to it. This can also be done by regulating the internal +12V down to a cleaner, and more isolated, +5V for the SSD.

Are you also using a good quality SATA cable with it, that has 2 separate internal screened cables,(not 7 wires side by side) and is of a length no longer than needed ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

2 hours ago, auldiophile said:

SSD just slides into an internal connector.

I presume that you mean into a Motherboard slot ?

In that case the motherboard supply is likely to be way noisier than say a separate +5V feed

from a 4 pin molex plug.

Some of the recent very high speed SSDs that plug directly into the motherboard will be great for general computing, video editing etc. , but personally I would prefer a conventional SSD powered via a 4 pin molex plug for highest quality , low noise Audio.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

26 minutes ago, auldiophile said:

Well it appears that you can buy an enclosure where the drive plugs into a SATA slot and the enclosure takes a SMPS. These look like they are not being offered much any more. And you can get a docking station like david linked to that uses an SMPS also.

You can still find them at a higher price, but not so easy to find on ebay these days, where almost all of them will only take an HDD or SSD. They perform even better when powered by a Linear +12V 2A and +5V 2A PSU instead of the typical supplied SMPS where the +12V output is poorly regulated.

15 minutes ago, auldiophile said:

I don't need RAID or the 2 bays, but you never know, plus it takes SSD's and has USB 3.1 Gen 2 which is compatible with my NUC. I likely wouldn't benefit from USB 3.1 Gen 2 at this point but it probably wouldn't hurt any either. Plus it states "industrial housing" which hopefully means aluminum/metal and not plastic. And...it doesn't look like a mini toaster :^ /

Just like almost every other USB connected device, there are likely to be further benefits from using the shortest possible, high quality USB cable.

10 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

Similar to the Zéro Zone. 12v 5a, generic eBay thing with a voltage display. It’s worked great, though did show up stinking of rosin. Took a few days to burn off. 

Are you sure it used an R-core transformer ? I saw a 12V 6A from them that used a toroidal transformer.

They often fill the centre of a toroidal transformer with resin for mounting purposes..

47 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

This exact one. Sounds as good or similar to my HDPLEX when I briefly tried it on the microRendu, before moving it to server duty for good (first a microVortexbox from SGC, and now a NUC 7i5). 

Looks good and measures well  !