IGNORED

"Audio Without Numbers" by Herb Reichert

7 minutes ago, crenca said:

What you mean you have a problem with satire?

I thought that your earlier posts to another thread had already established that you don't understand the nature of satire. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

1 minute ago, Allan F said:

I thought that your earlier posts to another thread had already established that you don't understand the nature of satire. :)

I don't but with your continued help I'll get the hang of it ?

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

6 minutes ago, crenca said:

I don't but with your continued help I'll get the hang of it ?

I doubt it, but you are welcome to try. :)

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

On 4/4/2018 at 2:13 PM, GUTB said:

Eloquent and brutal analysis of non-audiophile objectivists’ belief system.

Agreed. Well written article.  

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

5 hours ago, sullis02 said:

So you admit that the 'guy who runs the forum' that you cited, is actually...a member of an administration *team*.  

Any other careless claims about HA that you care to correct?

Who burned your breakfast?   I don't know how you reached your conclusion, as to what you believe I might have admitted.  If you like HA so much, why don't you clear out of here with all it's subjective opinions?  Other than asking specific questions about foobar2000, that place is nearly worthless.

22 hours ago, sullis02 said:

I take it you've never read up on the interesting things that happen to preference ratings when wines are compared 'blind' (i.e, without the drinker knowing anything about the price or label). 

What if your opinions of sound 'quality' are in fact being informed by things other than the sound?

1. I only take advice on wine from experts who can pick a good one blind.

2. I buy audio that allows the music to engage me emotionally, I either get engaged or I dont.

13 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

Well, I did a little digging and found a few things, some familiar, some new to me. I do

Here's a review that provides a very good summary: https://virtualcritique.wordpress.com/2017/11/07/robert-watt-on-dennis-schultings-kants-radical-subjectivism/

A review that emphasizes "the struggle against subjectivism": https://commons.pacificu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https://www.google.com/&httpsredir=1&article=1137&context=eip

Aesthetics and subjectivity: from Kant to Nietzsche

Andrew Bowie

From the intro: 

"The new focus of philosophy on subjectivity established by Kant accompanies the c

These are all very interesting. Lots of food for thought. I have to confess I haven't read a book on Kant for a very long time, but any way up, the I'm fairly sure term "subjectivism" here is not being used in any sense which maps to the way it's used in audiophile discourse (and I'm not sure whether it is used in the same way in those books either). I think it is sometimes used to describe those whose starting point is something like the Cogito. Howerv that position can lead to all sorts of things including radical scepticism about the senses (something with which audio objectivism is often conflated). 

IIRC subjectivism has cropped up as a tag in lots of places. I seem to remember there's a chapter in Macintyre's After Virtue about something he terms subjectivism. I don't think these relate in any way to kant's transcendental deduction or audiophilia. Neither I think does Ayn Rand's usage. 

Obviously in some areas it is useful to have a tag to apply to particular positions. Here I'm not sure it helps. 

You are not a sound quality measurement device

16 hours ago, sullis02 said:

So you admit that the 'guy who runs the forum' that you cited, is actually...a member of an administration *team*.  

Any other careless claims about HA that you care to correct?

Cmon Steven,

Although TOS#8 can be seen as a, IMO "nice", feature of HA, it is clear the TOS's are not uniformly enforced.

It's obvious "the guy" is greynol, and he often breaks TOS#2 and 5, and allows you and AJ and other to, also. Then he hides behind 7 to essentially say that as a global moderator, he can do anything, and no one can question him.

3 hours ago, adamdea said:

I can't quite see the point you are making but I sense hostility.

Just calling a spade a spade.

4 hours ago, adamdea said:

These are all very interesting. Lots of food for thought. I have to confess I haven't read a book on Kant for a very long time, but any way up, the I'm fairly sure term "subjectivism" here is not being used in any sense which maps to the way it's used in audiophile discourse (and I'm not sure whether it is used in the same way in those books either). I think it is sometimes used to describe those whose starting point is something like the Cogito. Howerv that position can lead to all sorts of things including radical scepticism about the senses (something with which audio objectivism is often conflated). 

IIRC subjectivism has cropped up as a tag in lots of places. I seem to remember there's a chapter in Macintyre's After Virtue about something he terms subjectivism. I don't think these relate in any way to kant's transcendental deduction or audiophilia. Neither I think does Ayn Rand's usage. 

Obviously in some areas it is useful to have a tag to apply to particular positions. Here I'm not sure it helps. 

Perhaps @christopher3393can explain, but I too am at a loss to see how Kantian (or really any other German Idealism) really comes into play.  Just as you point out, Kant is at the end of the day a Cartesian (i.e. Cogito) metaphysician.  The person upstream who identified the categories Herb Reichert abused used in his hit piece with Kant is mistaken IMO - these go back much further to Aristotle.   I don't remember (it's been 20 years since I read After Virtue) but my guess is that Macintyre's complaint would have been with Cartesian metaphysics and the modern morality that is (often) derived from it (i.e. modern anti-virtue "ethics").

The subjective/objective divide in Audio is much more along the lines of methodological materialism and its "anti-metaphysics" (on the objectivist side - Francis Bacon, etc.) and a crude (and vague, and incoherent, etc.) modern psychologism (that does have some things in common with the Romantic side of German Idealism).  Perhaps @christopher3393can tie it all in better for us...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

22 hours ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

You are calling me a liar.  That's a personal attack if there ever was one.

Oh dear.  Wouldn't want that.  In that case, let me amend 'make up lies'  to 'post multiple poorly researched and inaccurate claims about'.  Better? 

12 hours ago, drbobb said:

Cmon Steven,

Although TOS#8 can be seen as a, IMO "nice", feature of HA, it is clear the TOS's are not uniformly enforced.

It's obvious "the guy" is greynol, and he often breaks TOS#2 and 5, and allows you and AJ and other to, also. Then he hides behind 7 to essentially say that as a global moderator, he can do anything, and no one can question him.

The primary animus I sense against HA is not for supposedly inconsistent TOS#2 (everyone play nice)  or  #5 (everyone stay on topic) enforcement, but against enforcement of its 'nice' TOS#8 -- its distinguishing 'objectivism' feature versus pretty much every other audio forum, CA included --  which , understandably, is anathema to 'subjectivists'. 

The rest of the complaints are just gravy by comparison.    

6 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

I could just suggest what I think may be a fruitful direction: Kant's subjectivization of aesthetics, which he couldn't have and wouldn't have argued before writing the Critique of Pure Reason. So, in terms of Kant, the third critique, The Critique of Judgement. Especially the effects it had. Before Kant, we don't have the subjectivization of taste. After Kant it gradually becomes a presupposition, one that many or most here would accept, I would guess.  And this is, I think,  a kind of radical subjectivization. If aesthetic experiences and judgments are finally understood to be strictly individual, irrational, idiosyncratic, relativistic, etc., then where are we?

We are nowhere with that,  as far as determining the probability that  a) a 'heard' difference between A and B has a basis in reality and b) whether a preference is due only to the heard difference.   

These are not questions of 'taste' (though 'b' is related to it), but they are central to the debates about audio . 

Since Kant's day we have developed methods to help us answer them.

On 4/5/2018 at 2:51 AM, Ron Scubadiver said:

Nothing has changed and that will get you banned, but some members are obviously getting away with a lot and the guy who runs the forum breaks his own rules whenever he feels like it.

On 4/9/2018 at 8:28 AM, sullis02 said:

Who is this 'guy' who 'runs' the forum?  There are multiple administrators , monitoring different sections of HA.  

You are not a  reliable source of information about HA.  Stop. 

19 hours ago, drbobb said:

Cmon Steven,

7 hours ago, sullis02 said:

The primary animus I sense against HA is not for supposedly inconsistent TOS#2 (everyone play nice)  or  #5 (everyone stay on topic) enforcement, but against enforcement of its 'nice' TOS#8 -- its distinguishing 'objectivism' feature versus pretty much every other audio forum, CA included --  which , understandably, is anathema to 'subjectivists'. 

The rest of the complaints are just gravy by comparison.    

I responded to your response to "the gravy"(see above). Your pretending to not know to whom Ron referred is disingenuous. I don't find the "primary" problem to be TOS#8 (prove it), but as @Ron Scubadiver mentions, attempts to enforce TOS#8 while blatantly ignoring TOS#2, #5. And not just by you and others, but by a "global moderator", who hides behind TOS#7(shut up-I'm God).  I'd guess that is what @Ron Scubadiver meant when he said the HA TOS are "not evenly enforced".

Although some disagree, I find Chris' enforcement at CA predictable, consistent and therefore fair. There is no equivalent to TOS#8, but if someone posts something I don't want to read, ... I don't.

HA is the objectivist equivalent of Herb Reichert's piece in the OP.

5 hours ago, drbobb said:

I responded to your response to "the gravy"(see above). Your pretending to not know to whom Ron referred is disingenuous. I don't find the "primary" problem to be TOS#8 (prove it), but as @Ron Scubadiver mentions, attempts to enforce TOS#8 while blatantly ignoring TOS#2, #5. And not just by you and others, but by a "global moderator", who hides behind TOS#7(shut up-I'm God).  I'd guess that is what @Ron Scubadiver meant when he said the HA TOS are "not evenly enforced".

Although some disagree, I find Chris' enforcement at CA predictable, consistent and therefore fair. There is no equivalent to TOS#8, but if someone posts something I don't want to read, ... I don't.

HA is the objectivist equivalent of Herb Reichert's piece in the OP.

I'm not sure why there is so much HA hate. It's a funny place, with a range of people, some of whom are a bit weird. But I think one can learn quite a lot there because there are undoubtedly a number of really smart and knowledgeable people who hang out there like JJ  (OTOH there's Arnie kreuger).

What I don't particularly like about it is that there is an air of besieged paranoia about the place. The regulars have a weariness with mainstream views and having to go over basics which has over time led to them more or less assuming that any newcomer is a troll out for a fight. Quite often they are right of course. This can mean that in order to find out information about a topic one has to go through a bit of ritual tummy ticking and/or a term of fagging just to prove that one really does mean to ask the question one appears to be asking. 

13 minutes ago, adamdea said:

people who hang out there like JJ  (OTOH there's Arnie kreuger).

Both deeply-rooted pillars (*) of the audio internet, and this since long before the www.

(* But not of the same type, I have to add.)

43 minutes ago, Fokus said:

Both deeply-rooted pillars (*) of the audio internet, and this since long before the www.

(* But not of the same type, I have to add.)

True. Arnie in some ways is the epitome of the internet warrior and of the feature of HA I mentioned (though I'm not sure whether he hangs out there still). I have wondered whether at some time he was well balanced, but certainly in recent years he seems unable not to have an argument or even to concede the slightest point..