IGNORED

"Audio Without Numbers" by Herb Reichert

I am very confused about existence and consciousness.   Many of the quantum physics "abstracts" *  I read claim we don't have any....existence and/or consciousness that is. 

We exist in a simulation lab?

Ok, where does music come from then?

*or what is reported about the abstract.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

45 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Yes, but the fact remains that we don't have complete information. So one for example might derive some conclusions from "subjective evaluations" that one can corroborate or refute over time and subsequent subjective evaluations.

For example, I have a pretty good idea what the sound signature of my AvantGarde speakers is since I have now used them in many places (three apartments at this point). I think this gives me an "objective" understanding of their sound (and in my experience other AG speakers's sound) without having measured them.

I have also learned that although my Ongaku amp measures horribly, paired with appropriate speakers it is actually a very low noise and sweet sounding device. Again no real measurement but what I would call experimental discovery.

Finally, I will mention the topic of MQA (yes!). People can have all sorts of opinions on it's DRM features or restrictions on decoding mechanisms without ever experiencing MQA sound. That is totally fine - it is objective. I have listened to a lot of MQA and have developed my opinions on its sound (I've been clear elsewhere). This I think is pretty objective as well in the sense it is reproducible.

My point is objective is in my opinion measurable - but there's also experimentally objective which I don't have anything like numbers behind but are the result of long comparisons and forming an opinion. I don't regard that as entirely subjective.

Sure.  I think perhaps putting it another another way, to be considered useful, whether based on an objective or a subjective evaluation, I think results should be both valid and reliable.

http://psc.dss.ucdavis.edu/sommerb/sommerdemo/intro/validity.htm

25 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Quantum physics and consciousness -- there's a hot new topic to debate right after we finish with MQA ;)

This indicates that we will "finish" the debate about MQA!!!

Just like we finished the cable debate.,,,:P

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

3 hours ago, firedog said:

MQA is seen by many here as a closed format attempt to control the production and distribution of music, ultimately at the expemse of the consumer. The initial response of the professional audio press was to glorify the possibly dubious technical and SQ claims of MQA as a revolutionary panacea for SQ and the world of hi-end audio. Pretty much no actual analysis or evaluation of the claims.

Audiostream: the editor, Michael Lavorgna, got into some heated exchanges here. Not all of the heat came from him. But it ended when he used the site private messaging service to launch profanities at one of the members. So Chris banned him.

He seems to many members here to represent an elitist audio press whose members (some here think) believe they should be the tastemakers in the audio world and that all of us `’regular people`’ should accept what they say fairly uncritically - because they are professionals - and we aren’t. 

ML has since gone out of his way to use his platform to disparage audio forums in general, posters at forums, and this forum - and it’s editor - in particular.

Ok, now I understand what all the buzz is about as soon as audio stream is mentioned and thanks for the explanation concerning MQA.

21 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Here is a quote from a famous 19th Century scientist that I used to have on my office door:

"When you measure, you know... something."

- Billy Thompson

Right.  There is a real wisdom in that humble"...something".  He recognizes that measurement is only part of the picture, so to speak.  

What is the difference between knowledge (wisdom) and information (fact)?  Perhaps it is in connecting of all the dots (of information), the collection of experiences that help you perceive when a measurement is relevant or not, and the recognition of when things of the perception (such as measurement) stop being relevant and things of the soul (e.g. subjective "likes" and "dislikes"), like music take over.  It is the correct and right balancing of one domain of knowledge and human endeavour (such as physics) with another (art, poetry, love)

What Herb Reichert gets wrong is this balance, this wisdom.  He wrongly projects one domain of knowledge (his artistic, poetic sense of the world) into other domains of knowledge (electronics, engineering, measurement, digital software and math).  This strikes a person with balance as eccentric at best and certainly not real - life is not like that.  He even comes across a bit manipulative, in that he is trying to convince people that engineering and math is somehow fundamentally opposed to their experience of poetry and music.  Thus, @Nortoncan ask me if objectivism is somehow a denial of his love of music.  On the contrary, without the objective things of this world and human knowledge like numbers, math, measurement, etc. Music and poetry would not even be possible!

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

20 minutes ago, Albrecht said:

Except when you measure the wrong and/or irrelevant thing...

It's more like the Hawking quote

" The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. "

Lord Kelvin did make a mistake, at least once.

Get back to us when you achieve 1% of what he did.

12 minutes ago, Albrecht said:

The definition of the scientific method, and Kant's classification & definition of knowledge are so widely accepted....

in that there is a small minority of vocal trolls that not only are opposed to scientific investigation, but deny that a key component of it is not even knowledge.....

Whatever your smoking has you playing the philosopher O.o

Why don't you say a bit more about the above two statements.  How are they linked?  Bonus question:  tell us specifically in what way is Herb Reichert is a Kantian?

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

2 minutes ago, crenca said:

Whatever your smoking has you playing the philosopher O.o

Why don't you say a bit more about the above two statements.  How are they linked?  Bonus question:  tell us specifically in what way is Herb Reichert is a Kantian?

""Whatever your smoking has you playing the philosopher""

You waste valuable time and energy with the above sentence, trying to diminish arguments with personal statements/attacks that aren't about me: stop the cult of personality crap.

Reichert wrote out the definition of the scientific method & referred it back to the types of knowledge, (defined by Kant), & how many of these unreasonable positions held by objectivists are bad science. It has NOTHING to do with whether or not Reichert is a Kantian; that's a mis-interpretation.