IGNORED

"Audio Without Numbers" by Herb Reichert

I didn't go past the first little bit of reading it.  Classic straw man argument. 

I stopped at the point where he said objectivist trolls haven't heard the hurricane of Soundlab speakers.  Guess what speakers I listen on?  Soundlabs.  

I could go further and provide additional reasonable commentary like his different categories of experience and what it means.  No need, its is one big straw man moan. 

I will add one more thing.  The hurricane survivor has cogency of a sort.  On the other hand if we wish to build a levee or take other steps to prevent people clinging to the roof tops, it is not those people who can help us accomplish that.  With or without cats. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

no, quantification is crucial in science

and... counting is hardly a cultural fabrication - many animals can count, including some birds

Are you referring to the Counting Crows?  They have some pretty good albums out too. 

See they can count at least to one. 

:)

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I'm curious - what are the two largest photo forums on the net ??

Just a guess.  dpreview and Snapchat.  :confused:

44 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Jackdaws, crows, and parrots can count to about 6

note also the specialty neurons paper (no, PNAS is not peer reviewed - it is a selective club tho...)

Pepperberg, I.M. (1999) The Alex studies: Cognitive and communicative abilities of Grey Parrots.  Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.

Helen M. D. & Andreas N. (2015) Neurons selective to the number of visual items in the corvid songbird endbrain. PNAS  DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1504245112

I was pulling your leg.  I've read the neuron paper though not my field of expertise.  

Now the Pepperberg paper........when I saw The Alex Studies I thought for a split second it had something to do with SandyK. :)

Crows aren't just counters they are smart too.  

1 hour ago, Rt66indierock said:

Herb gave some great advice in an article he wrote for Sound Practices in the nineties "The Search for Audio Tranquility." It is hard to believe the same man wrote both articles. 

Yes you are right.  It is like two different guys almost. 

Of course people change over time for many different reasons.  I believed more like he does now in the 90's.  But now is 90's articles seem more sensible to me now.