IGNORED

"Audio Without Numbers" by Herb Reichert

2 minutes ago, crenca said:

That is all he has left as he has banned anyone who does not already agree with them.  It is probably not an accident that Herb has published this piece at audio stream instead of stereophile because JA to his credit would allow an opposing viewpoint.

audio fascism ??

That article is an amazing condensation of ignorance.  Leaving the strawman argument aside, he cannot get very far without making errors, for example,  meteorologists are not scientists at all - they have an undergraduate degree (sometimes less) and then get certified by the American Meteorological Society then get a job (often on TV) where they give weather forecasts (on TV, it is just based on NWS forecasts with some fun graphics).  He may be "cornfusing" that with Climatologists (who are scientists, with PhDs + a post-doc usually who study mechanisms causing climate, past records, effects, etc.

Then there is the mis-description of science... he obviously does not know what an experiment is, and then makes a claim of equivalence that no scientist would make.

The FDA "demand(s) illusionist parlor tricks like blind "testing"" of drugs and medical devices.  I wonder how many drugs he is on?

35 minutes ago, Nordkapp said:

Actually I did not know he bans people...haha. Not surprised. Oh well. We all have our views. It's cool. Whatever. It's frikin stereo equipment.....

no, for ML it is a livelihood (of sorts)

he makes money by having companies place ads on his pontification site 

Jackdaws, crows, and parrots can count to about 6

note also the specialty neurons paper (no, PNAS is not peer reviewed - it is a selective club tho...)

Pepperberg, I.M. (1999) The Alex studies: Cognitive and communicative abilities of Grey Parrots.  Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.

Helen M. D. & Andreas N. (2015) Neurons selective to the number of visual items in the corvid songbird endbrain. PNAS  DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1504245112

1 hour ago, esldude said:

I was pulling your leg.  I've read the neuron paper though not my field of expertise.  

Now the Pepperberg paper........when I saw The Alex Studies I thought for a split second it had something to do with SandyK. :)

Crows aren't just counters they are smart too.  

Irene Pepperberg has been heavily criticized for poor methodology.  I'm not really in that particular segment of a field so don't know if itis valid.  The GTOs (Girls Together Outrageously) aka female mafia of bird science seem to think it was just a case of old men hatin' on a rising woman star scientist.  Take half of each viewpoint...

BTW, birds have very different brain organization than mammals... in mammals the neostriatum is a thin protective membrane, but in birds it is very elaborate, perhaps like a cortex...

Corvids (crows, jays, etc.) and parrots are the geniuses of the avian world.

20 minutes ago, Albrecht said:

Except when you measure the wrong and/or irrelevant thing...

It's more like the Hawking quote

" The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. "

Lord Kelvin did make a mistake, at least once.

Get back to us when you achieve 1% of what he did.

What if I let 20 people listen to music on 2 different types of equipment (blind, A/B/X) and guess which X is A or B?

That is subjective, right?

Suppose I then apply statistical analysis to determine the chance they guessed right by chance?  

That is objective, right?

Let's get some things straight: 

- space and time are NOT forms of human sensibility

- the mind certainly alters the structure of human experience, but we have other ways to figure out what's happening, has happened, and what will happen

I'd ask a couple of my friends with PhDs in philosophy for more of the cant, but they are too busy doing secretarial work...