IGNORED

"Audio Without Numbers" by Herb Reichert

22 minutes ago, semente said:

Subjective judgement is akin to tasting: it won't tell you that something is good (in this case accurate at reproducing the signal) but whether or not you like it.

Good = objective

Pleasing = subjective

As I said I judge audio systems subjectively cos as far as I know no one has come up with a way of objectively proving the analog signal captured during recording is identical to the one reproduced by the audio system. Or have they?

1 hour ago, adamdea said:

Well great, except -and this is surely obvious- making value judgment about stereos is more like making value judgments about wine glasses not wine : 

1. yes it really is that tragic

2. the decision might benefit from technical input; it may be possible that changes in the wine glass affect the taste of the wine; there are probably better uses of one’s time. 

Did I say making a value judgment about wine is like making a value judgment about stereos? I buy wine on the recommendation of trusted souces, and similarly I mainly audition audio gear suggested to me by trusted sources. I get less disappointments that way.

22 hours ago, sullis02 said:

I take it you've never read up on the interesting things that happen to preference ratings when wines are compared 'blind' (i.e, without the drinker knowing anything about the price or label). 

What if your opinions of sound 'quality' are in fact being informed by things other than the sound?

1. I only take advice on wine from experts who can pick a good one blind.

2. I buy audio that allows the music to engage me emotionally, I either get engaged or I dont.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/04/2018 at 6:09 AM, fas42 said:

I find there are at least two levels - a transistor radio leaves so much out that the sins are not obvious - the jist of the music is in place, and you get the overall message; when a system becomes ambitious you hear more of the fine detail of the recording, and the damage being done to that fine detail by the playback chain. It's the elimination of the latter that's absolutely critcial ... what happens is that a competent rig allows one to relax in the same way as listening casually to a transistor radio, even though the sound level is far, far greater, and what you are hearing is so much more detailed.

Normal high end, or hifi, very rarely gets this right - the difference is, yes, dramatic - and definitely makes the effort to achieve convincing playback competely worth it.

Agreed if referring to digital playback, analog playback much easier to get right.