Keith_W

My honest review of Acourate

Rate this topic

6 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

That could work. Important is a calibration file in WAV format and resolutions 44.1, 48 or 96 kHz.

The UMIK-1 cal files are text files. Maybe @dennis88 could chime in on this. What mic pre/soundcard are you using?

I think Acourate has an option to load .cal and .txt calibration files (File->Import Amplitude). I can't remember what happens then though, I think you need to invert this measurement but I am not sure..would need to dig a bit as I have not used Acourate in a couple of months (after I created filters I was happy with).

I use ASIO4All on the measurement PC which is connected via USB to an exaSound e20 DAC. The UMIK-1 is connected to the PC via USB.

However, I plan to upgrade my DAC, so I keep an eye on solutions that have a MIC preamp built-in (e.g. Merging Anubis) in order to omit the clock issue but I think the way of having a dedicated mic preamp (e.g. on a RME babyface) connected to the DAC is probably more realistic as DACs that have a (good) Mic preamp are mostly lacking consumer functionality I would like to have.

@mitchco

Have you released a new edition of your book "Accurate Sound Reproduction Using DSP" ?

thanks

@Facel Thanks for asking. No, I have not as I am still adding to the DSP software product portfolio I intend to cover in the next edition. Even though the DSP concepts and most of the procedures in the current book apply to virtually all digital loudspeaker and room correction products, I am getting into the implementation details of each DSP product. I am also adding a chapter on integrating subwoofer(s) as this is a problematic area, especially if one wants to time align subs with mains.

There has been new research into target frequency responses correlating to listener preferences, and a new industry standard on measuring loudspeakers and predicting in room responses that are being added to the book.

Right now, a new and interesting DSP software product is being added and there will be a review of it on AS shortly.

Sorry, I don't have an ETA on when the next edition with be available, but I am working on it.

Kind regards,

Mitch

Thank you very much Mitch for your detailled answer.

Could you disclosel which DSP software will be reviewed in AS and when wil you plublish it  ?