IGNORED

My honest review of Acourate

@sledwards

That could work. Important is a calibration file in WAV format and resolutions 44.1, 48 or 96 kHz.

36572754lj.png

I think Acourate has an option to load .cal and .txt calibration files (File->Import Amplitude). I can't remember what happens then though, I think you need to invert this measurement but I am not sure..would need to dig a bit as I have not used Acourate in a couple of months (after I created filters I was happy with).

I use ASIO4All on the measurement PC which is connected via USB to an exaSound e20 DAC. The UMIK-1 is connected to the PC via USB.

However, I plan to upgrade my DAC, so I keep an eye on solutions that have a MIC preamp built-in (e.g. Merging Anubis) in order to omit the clock issue but I think the way of having a dedicated mic preamp (e.g. on a RME babyface) connected to the DAC is probably more realistic as DACs that have a (good) Mic preamp are mostly lacking consumer functionality I would like to have.

• 2 months later...

@Facel Thanks for asking. No, I have not as I am still adding to the DSP software product portfolio I intend to cover in the next edition. Even though the DSP concepts and most of the procedures in the current book apply to virtually all digital loudspeaker and room correction products, I am getting into the implementation details of each DSP product. I am also adding a chapter on integrating subwoofer(s) as this is a problematic area, especially if one wants to time align subs with mains.

There has been new research into target frequency responses correlating to listener preferences, and a new industry standard on measuring loudspeakers and predicting in room responses that are being added to the book.

Right now, a new and interesting DSP software product is being added and there will be a review of it on AS shortly.

Sorry, I don't have an ETA on when the next edition with be available, but I am working on it.

Kind regards,

Mitch

• 1 month later...

Inspired by this report

I want to share my experiences.

I like the full correction over the entire frequency response best. Two fat peaks are immediately noticeable in the bass. It's still supposed to be fun, so I use a Lowshelf to raise the bass bandwith to 200Hz by 1.5dB. With PeakNDip I set another peak at 80Hz with + 2.3dB. A weakly accented BBC dip at approx.3.5kHz with -1dB should alleviate any sharpness. The difficult part was the HF Roll-Off. In theory, everything below the target curve is not corrected. Now the scale is pretty tight.

37410105ky.png

The bold line shows the correction and I like the sound very well. A 18 Hz subsonic filter prevents unnecessary pumping of the membranes. The HF roll-off drops off evenly towards the end of the frequency response. Another additional information: I have been measuring at 96 kHz since using the HQPlayer in order to be able to create the most accurate convolution filter possible. Hence the wide range above. The HQPlayer prefers convolution with 384kHz / 64Bit.

37410106vi.png

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, hvbias said:

Damn, that is a real shame. Has there been talks about archiving the Yahoo Group's posts? There is some tremendous information in those old posts.

I downloaded the 205 digests of messages from the Yahoo forum and will attempt to parse and investigate import to the new forum when I get some free time. :(

Uli's final post to the Acourate Yahoo group before transitioning to the new Acourate forum:

I have already downloaded all the posts, the files, the pictures and the attachments.

You can already get all of them by visiting: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1edmNEoJG71f1kP6VLZ4eO2emaAgTLA-P?usp=sharing

The messages are actually saved in 205 files. There is some problem with character coding but this is not a big topic at the end. The actual best way to read them is to download them and to open the html file by a browser.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

• 5 months later...