IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

10 minutes ago, Bernstein said:

Some KII folks looking for the last % :):) :) 

If Baconbrain gets one and says it improves SQ into the Kii Control, I'll be impressed. The USB input of the Control has, for me at least, sounded pretty much the same with various USB sources. Differences for me are very small if there are any at all. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

4 minutes ago, firedog said:

If Baconbrain gets one and says it improves SQ into the Kii Control, I'll be impressed. The USB input of the Control has, for me at least, sounded pretty much the same with various USB sources. Differences for me are very small if there are any at all. 

With EtherRegen we are talking Ethernet to e.g. a DAC or Streamer. There will be no direct connection to the KIIs.
I have a Roon endpoint (Allo DigiOne Signature) and looking forward to test it. 

20 hours ago, firedog said:

From @baconbrain's profile I see that he has spent quite a lot of money on Ethernet and server side components, including a SOtM sNH-10G switch, Innuos Statement, Innuos Zenith SE Mk II, Melco N1ZH60, and Mutec Ref-10.  If those things are making a difference to the SQ with his Kii Control and Kii speakers, then our advanced switch certainly will. B|

I will run this with a LPS. I have em, why not. Just to confirm - 12v will work with the etheRegen? That’s what I gleaned from John Swenson’s earlier post.

Im not an electrical person so forgive my naïveté.

FRONT END: Analog: Radikal Linn LP12 > Linn Urika 2 phono stage. Sound: Linn Klimax Organik DSM > Linn Duo amp >Maggie 3.7i  Wires + Power: Transparent: Reference Speaker, XL Power Conditioner + XL Power Cords. Furutech NFC Rhodium outlet on 10 gauge dedicated circuit with isolated ground Isolation: HRS SXR stand, M3X2 Bases. 

Connected to back end by: Transparent Ethernet 

BACK END: Digital: Internet > OpticalModule > EtherREGEN < AD Queen Squarewave Clock < Roon Nucleus + (internal 7TB SSD music library) Isolation: Salamander Archetype rack, HRS M3X2 base the under Nucleus, ER,Stillpoints under all others Power: Paul Hynes SR7T > Clock, Nucleus. SR7T > ER & OpticalModule, SR4 > Switch. Furutech NFC Rhodium outlet on 10 gauge dedicated circuit with isolated ground 

4 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Yes, 7~12 volts.  Capable of about 10 watts (So 7V/1.4A, 9V/1A, 12V/0.8A).

As always, thanks Superdad. Looking forward to your new product.

FRONT END: Analog: Radikal Linn LP12 > Linn Urika 2 phono stage. Sound: Linn Klimax Organik DSM > Linn Duo amp >Maggie 3.7i  Wires + Power: Transparent: Reference Speaker, XL Power Conditioner + XL Power Cords. Furutech NFC Rhodium outlet on 10 gauge dedicated circuit with isolated ground Isolation: HRS SXR stand, M3X2 Bases. 

Connected to back end by: Transparent Ethernet 

BACK END: Digital: Internet > OpticalModule > EtherREGEN < AD Queen Squarewave Clock < Roon Nucleus + (internal 7TB SSD music library) Isolation: Salamander Archetype rack, HRS M3X2 base the under Nucleus, ER,Stillpoints under all others Power: Paul Hynes SR7T > Clock, Nucleus. SR7T > ER & OpticalModule, SR4 > Switch. Furutech NFC Rhodium outlet on 10 gauge dedicated circuit with isolated ground 

20 hours ago, Superdad said:

From @baconbrain's profile I see that he has spent quite a lot of money on Ethernet and server side components, including a SOtM sNH-10G switch, Innuos Statement, Innuos Zenith SE Mk II, Melco N1ZH60, and Mutec Ref-10.  If those things are making a difference to the SQ with his Kii Control and Kii speakers, then our advanced switch certainly will. B|

Ba-Da-Boom!!

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

18 hours ago, Superdad said:

Yes, 7~12 volts.  Capable of about 10 watts (So 7V/1.4A, 9V/1A, 12V/0.8A).

Good to hear, because I still have an ifi ipower 12v/1,8A on my present Netgear switch I can use (and sell the old stuff). I still wonder if I need to maintain my AudioQuest Jitterbugs (NAS, Router, Computer). Perhaps Superdad knows, otherwise I will sell them to finance the etherREGEN too?

51 minutes ago, jos said:

Good to hear, because I still have an ifi ipower 12v/1,8A on my present Netgear switch I can use (and sell the old stuff).

The iFi-Audio iPower SMPS is an ungrounded supply (with a more than usual amount of AC leakage).  While the parts they add to it to make its DC output low-noise may be effective, it is unlikely to have any effect on the SQ of the EtherREGEN versus the large brick we include.  And being ungrounded, you may want to use the ground screw on the EtherREGEN to minimize 'A'-side port to port leakage (won't matter for 'B'-side as almost nothing can cross that moat).

51 minutes ago, jos said:

I still wonder if I need to maintain my AudioQuest Jitterbugs (NAS, Router, Computer). Perhaps Superdad knows, otherwise I will sell them to finance the etherREGEN too?

No comment.  But would't you need to get full price on 12 Jitterbugs to finance an EtherREGEN? x-D

14 minutes ago, Superdad said:

The iFi-Audio iPower SMPS is an ungrounded supply (with a more than usual amount of AC leakage).  While the parts they add to it to make its DC output low-noise may be effective, it is unlikely to have any effect on the SQ of the EtherREGEN versus the large brick we include.  And being ungrounded, you may want to use the ground screw on the EtherREGEN to minimize 'A'-side port to port leakage (won't matter for 'B'-side as almost nothing can cross that moat).

No comment.  But would't you need to get full price on 12 Jitterbugs to finance an EtherREGEN? x-D

Clear, I will sell the ifi ipower too, plus my Jitterbugs plus my Netgear switch. 🤑.

is your ‘brick’ grounded, or is this necessary?

11 minutes ago, Bernstein said:

@Superdad Do you know if the Keces P8 output is grounded or floating? Thinking about using it...

I do not know for sure.  You would need to check with a meter. But if you have the dual-output version, and since they claim independent grounds, then it would have to be a "floated" output in order for that to be true.

52 minutes ago, Superdad said:

I do not know for sure.  You would need to check with a meter. But if you have the dual-output version, and since they claim independent grounds, then it would have to be a "floated" output in order for that to be true.

yes they claim separate ground for each output rail. So the ground screw needs to be connected to main ground? Via little ordinary wire or do I need to use something special? 

49 minutes ago, Bernstein said:

So the ground screw needs to be connected to main ground?

Yes, wire from EtherREGEN ground screw to some AC mains ground if you are using a floating supply.

Again, this is only for possible benefit to the 'A'-side copper ports, though since we are using 12-core per port (!) magnetics, the port-to-port leakage blocking is already quite good.  A belt-and-suspenders approach here.  

And as I have said before, NOTHING makes it across the moat to the 'B'-side regardless of grounding or not.  The moat, with its active differential isolation and differential reclocking, is where all the sonic "magic" happens.

49 minutes ago, Bernstein said:

Via little ordinary wire or do I need to use something special? 

No special wire needed.

17 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Yes, wire from EtherREGEN ground screw to some AC mains ground if you are using a floating supply.

Again, this is only for possible benefit to the 'A'-side copper ports, though since we are using 12-core per port (!) magnetics, the port-to-port leakage blocking is already quite good.  A belt-and-suspenders approach here.  

And as I have said before, NOTHING makes it across the moat to the 'B'-side regardless of grounding or not.  The moat, with its active differential isolation and differential reclocking, is where all the sonic "magic" happens.

No special wire needed.

So if we are only connecting one port on the a side and one port on the b side then there is no reason to have the ground terminal grounded regardless of PSU used? 

30 minutes ago, EVOLVIST said:

Forgive me if this has already been addressed. Will the LPS-1 power the etherREGEN? 

Sorry, the original LPS-1 can not power the switch because at its top 7 volt setting the EtherREGEN draws almost 1.4A, a bit over the UltraCap 1.1A continuous limit.

The newer UltraCap LPS-1.2 can power EtherREGEN from its 9V or 12V settings as our switch draws about 0.92A at 9V and 0.72A at 12V.

28 minutes ago, Superdad said:

The newer UltraCap LPS-1.2 can power EtherREGEN from its 9V or 12V settings as our switch draws about 0.92A at 9V and 0.72A at 12V.

Will the amps at 12V change much regarding how many ports you use or will it be around 0.7A regardless of ports used? 

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree