IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

....and if the first 250 is gone that Tuesday, the next batch is ordered and about another 4 week delivery time, and so it will be going on until a few is finally left is in stock. 😀

Edit. 

I think calculated wrong. I think I better leave it up to you Alex. 

11 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

....and if the first 250 is gone that Tuesday...

To paraphrase: "From your lips to [audio] god's ears."  9_9

But really, I avoid counting chickens while they are still in the eggs...x-D

We might make it look easy, but there are so many details to get right in launching a new product.  We only want happy customers loving the results. Hopefully that will be the case.

Humbly and happily yours,

--Alex C.

I think any discussion of any other switch should be on another thread.  I'm checking in for updates on the switch, not how to use/implement a Cisco router.  

Thanks!

Chris

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

19 minutes ago, PR13 said:

Might be a silly question but how big will this EtherREGEN actually be? And what will it look like, can I assume similar to other Uptone products? 🤔

i'm thinking it's going to have to be around the size of an 8 port switch.  a ubiquiti us-8-150w is 9 inches wide.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
20 minutes ago, PR13 said:

Might be a silly question but how big will this EtherREGEN actually be? And what will it look like, can I assume similar to other Uptone products? 🤔

The exact size as the Ultracaps 😀

(same box). 

Any drawings or picture available Alex ?

18 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

i'm thinking it's going to have to be around the size of an 8 port switch.  a ubiquiti us-8-150w is 9 inches wide.

18 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

With each RJ45 port is 15.24mm wide, and EtherRegen has 4 ports on A side, technically, it is quite possible to fit all 4 ports to a case as wide as Ultracap at 110mm.  My speculation would also be the size of Ultracap or something very similar to this size.

21 minutes ago, elan120 said:

With each RJ45 port is 15.24mm wide, and EtherRegen has 4 ports on A side, technically, it is quite possible to fit all 4 ports to a case as wide as Ultracap at 110mm.  My speculation would also be the size of Ultracap or something very similar to this size.

turns out, the board size was discussed several pages back -- 100 mm x 106 mm (3.94 in x 4.17 in) -- so looks like you are correct in assuming it's probably going to be lps-1.2 sized!

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

(same box).

Correct. Same case. As stated in the very first post of this thread (though I see now that some other details in that first post very much need to be updated...)

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

Any drawings or picture available Alex ?

Just got off a call with my friend (talented architect and industrial designer) as he has been working on the layout of the openings of the case--based on I/O part positions and dimensions we provided.  Once he does those first CAD drawings and renderings, we will figure out where to fit the silkscreen lettering for everything.  After we are done tweaking all that I'll probably post an image.  Not much to get excited about.  Not doing an expensive case--for a whole bunch of previously stated reasons.

Just now, Tintinabulum said:

For your friends across the water, a rough idea of shipping would be useful. For an Optical Module shipping is more than 50% of the unit cost, so I don’t want to get all excited and then bummed out because I’m getting gouged on shipping...

Sorry, not following how shipping of an opticalModule could be so much.  

As for the EtherREGEN, shipping rates will be exactly the same as for the UltraCap and ISO REGEN:

$9 for 2-day Priority Mail in the USA;

$25 for either fast FedEx or Priority Mail Intl. to Canada;

$34 for either fast FedEx or Priority Mail Intl. to all other countries.

The above are for one unit.

Shipping actually costs us slightly more than we charge.  :D

Alex, does it overly complicate matters if other orders are included in this ether regen batch (ie lps-2) or is it just easier to order separately ...?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

SuperDad... Assuming one uses an external clock, is there a LED on your device to indicate a successful lock? In other words, how can the user know the device gets the clock information from outside as opposed to the internal chip? 

If you could share, I'm curious in general about the existence of LEDs on your device. 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

On 6/21/2019 at 5:14 PM, LowMidHigh said:

SuperDad... Assuming one uses an external clock, is there a LED on your device to indicate a successful lock? In other words, how can the user know the device gets the clock information from outside as opposed to the internal chip?

There is no "Clock Lock" LED on the EtherREGEN.  If the Internal/External clock switch (next to the BNC jack; but it is only a trigger for other circuitry and clock programming--the clock does not go through the switch!) is set to External, then the unit will look for an external 10MHz reference clock.  It won't work (with the switch in that position) if it does not find and lock onto one.

On 6/21/2019 at 5:14 PM, LowMidHigh said:

If you could share, I'm curious in general about the existence of LEDs on your device. 

There is one Power LED indicating that the unit is receiving external DC voltage.  Other than that the only LEDs are the ones surrounding the RJ45 jacks--which indicate the usual: Network activity, speed, etc.

On 7/1/2019 at 4:17 PM, Superdad said:

As previouly indicated, the pre-production boards are due to arrive to us this week.  Would be tomorrow except that the wonderful (and pricey) LT3042/45 regulators are in short supply (we use 12 per board) and are just now arriving to our board house.

You can bet we will keep everyone posted.  Expect to see photos of the board even before we begin final testing.

Some pictures would be nice :)

As we are getting close to the launch (crossing fingers), I was wondering is Alex @Superdad can answer a couple of questions:

1 - Would the following SFP module work for etherRegen?

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/accessories/products/systemoptique-certified-fiber-sfp-module?variant=16612845781026

I am planning to use an opticalModule on the other end (upstream) into the etherRegen A side, where the SFP cage is.

2 - I understand it needs 12v DC power, but what amperage? 12/3?

3 - Is the DC input on etherRegen 5.5 / 2.1 mm? Or 5.5 / 2.5?

I am planning for everything, and have everything else ready to go!

Thanks!

I am waiting patiently for the product launch as I know how things can change during development and even sometimes in testing. I am expecting deliveries to be in August so you guys in USA can celebrate your hot August nights but here in Malaysia, EVERY night is a hot night, not just in August. LOL.

23 hours ago, thyname said:

As we are getting close to the launch (crossing fingers), I was wondering is Alex @Superdad can answer a couple of questions:

Sure, I'll try. 9_9

That one looks fine.

I am planning to use an opticalModule on the other end (upstream) into the etherRegen A side, where the SFP cage is.

That is fine but due to EtherREGEN's design it is really not necessary to front it with an opticalModule.  But if you have one already I suppose a modest benefit may be possible.

Still, I am not clear about which way you plan to turn the opticalModule to feed the EtherREGEN. Are you thinking of:

a) Running optical fiber from your house router into the oM and then copper from the oM to the EtherREGEN? or

b) Running copper to the oM, then fiber from the oM to the SFP of the EtherREGEN?

Direct from your router (with copper or fiber) into the EtherREGEN may be just as good.

2 - I understand it needs 12v DC power, but what amperage? 12/3?

EtherREGEN fed 12V should run fine from a 1 amp supply.  We have worked hard to make that a reality--and very soon will know if we succeeded in doing so. x-D

3 - Is the DC input on etherRegen 5.5 / 2.1 mm? Or 5.5 / 2.5?

5.5mm x 2.1mm

I am planning for everything, and have everything else ready to go!

Awesome!

7 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Still, I am not clear about which way you plan to turn the opticalModule to feed the EtherREGEN. Are you thinking of:

a) Running optical fiber from your house router into the oM and then copper from the oM to the EtherREGEN? or

b) Running copper to the oM, then fiber from the oM to the SFP of the EtherREGEN?

Option B) -- Running copper to the oM, then fiber from the oM to the SFP of the EtherREGEN

And thank you so much for your reply! I look forward to etherRegen!

21 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Clearly they sent the wrong part

Does your distributor have the required quantities of the right part?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's