IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

8 minutes ago, LowMidHigh said:

Infamous? Are you sure?

Infamous = known for bad quality....Did you you mean 'renown' or or 'well-known'?

I mean infamous for "to wait for the shipment forever".  Probably well-known is a better wording but this word sounds too positive to me.

4 hours ago, R1200CL said:

And the only way to cross that moat is still to use the only one 100mhz RJ45 port ?

Then if one are an opticalRendu user, use that 5th RJ45 as input and the SFP as output.

Should have exactly same effect as going the other way (fiber in), or use one of the 4 other RJ45 as input.

All three of your statements are correct! :D (Though 100Mbps not 100MHz)

The Game of Thrones will arrive sooner!

I will wait... Courage

:-)

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

57 minutes ago, motberg said:

4K pound sterling, I need at least 2

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

"the M12 SWITCH GOLD conveys the full density of sound and a subtle feeling of the air. Its high-frequency range is transparent, and the mid and bass areas are clear with high S/N." 

Makes perfect sense. You always want to convey the full density of sound. The thicker the snake oil, the more delicious. Now, that's infamous! 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

Just for fun, here is a purposely fuzzy reduction of the EtherREGEN block diagram I was updating today (working on revised list of the 10 required LT3042/45 voltage regulators).  Thought I would tease you guys.  x-D

When we are closer to ready and have time I'll publish a readable version so you can see the data flow and clocking domains, etc.  This one has all the part numbers so I need to make it fuzzy.  Plus it is not made pretty or fancy, it's just for our internal discussions and mark-up.

The only hint I'll give is that the pale horizontal line near the middle of the diagram that cuts across everything is the "moat."  Anything that sits on it are data, clock, or power isolators.

1798014586_EtherREGENblockdiagram3.jpg.8d99325b0f02e139071cc3e383e8330a.jpg

Alex, Ayre has implemented optical isolation to their QB-9 DSD USB input, I suppose it could be implemented in an external device as well ("OpticalRegen")?

"The QB-9DSD also utilizes opto-couplers to provide
total electrical isolation for the connections between
your computer and music system. This minimizes
the introduction of unwanted radio-frequency
interference (RFI), generated by all computers."

manual page 3

https://www.ayre.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Ayre_QB9DSD_Manual.pdf

ayre_qb9_dsd_5.jpg.26fac42e4c22d0cd08e3a36ffea299dd.jpg

http://www.avmentor.net/reviews/2014/ayre_qb9_dsd_1.shtml

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

45 minutes ago, Matias said:

Alex, Ayre has implemented optical isolation to their QB-9 DSD USB input, I suppose it could be implemented in an external device as well ("OpticalRegen")?

Hi:

As explained many times in the past, DACs (or DDCs) with digital isolators (be they optical, RF, capacitive, GMR, etc.) must ALWAYS position them AFTER the USB input stage--on the I2S lines into the rest of the DAC.  [Please reread "a)" in my above post to understand why.]

The sole exceptions are the couple of DAC makers who are using the (now discontinued) Silanna ICE08USB chip right at the USB input--before the XMOS or other USB processor (those are the $6K Auralic Vega G2, and the @PeterSt's NOS1a G3).

The ISO REGEN already provides galvanic isolation--though we admit that whole Silanna>USB3.1 hub scheme is not always flawless in use (iFi with their similar iGalvanic suffers with the same connectivity support issues that we do; that's why we both have isolation defeat swtiches on our devices).  By nature the ground-dependent USB signal does not lend itself to these tricks.  

But we have ideas for the future.

While I know that conceptually "optical" isolation has an appeal--I mean what's more galvanically isolated than light?  But realize that there must be transceivers on both sides, the data goes in only once direction through each bit of isolation channel, and that clocking also has to move across the isolation moat.  Plus opto-isolators are not the lowest jitter for their function, so as with using any digital isolator, using a really low jitter, high-speed flip-flop afterward is mandatory for good performance.

Okay, no more USB isolation talk in the EtherREGEN thread! :D

14 minutes ago, Superdad said:

digital isolators (be they optical, RF, capacitive, GMR, etc.) must ALWAYS position them AFTER the USB input stage--on the I2S lines into the rest of the DAC.

14 minutes ago, Superdad said:

The sole exceptions are the couple of DAC makers who are using the (now discontinued) Silanna ICE08USB chip right at the USB input--before the XMOS or other USB processor (those are the $6K Auralic Vega G2, and the @PeterSt's NOS1a G3).

The latter does both. :P

Which reminds me of something ... :rolleyes:

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

4 hours ago, Matias said:

The QB-9DSD also utilizes opto-couplers to provide
total electrical isolation for the connections between
your computer and music system.

Funny, even the original Uptone Audio REGEN made a significant improvement to the sound of my QB-9 DSD.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

I thought I read somewhere in this thread that the etherREGEN would be launched in the first quarter of this year. No signs of this yet. Alex (@Superdad), can you give some insights, planning wise?

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

• 2 weeks later...

Getting serious now! Way to go guys, can I be first on the pre-pre-order list???

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys