IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

Gentlemen:

While we appreciate your enthusiasm, please stop speculating or requesting regarding what we are developing. It is causing problems as I am now getting calls and e-mails from people asking if we are going to be replacing the EtherREGEN and asking about future models. >:( 

The current EtherREGEN is not going anywhere!  We intend to sell another million $ worth...9_9

While we have sketched on paper a much more elaborate version, it would require significantly altered topology, a large case, and to be priced in the $3K range.  This is NOT one of the new products we are currently working on.  The new products do not involve Ethernet--and they also are nothing like anything that anyone above speculated about.

Thanks and regards,

--Alex C.

Dear Alex,

While I understand your point of view and will respect your guidelines, this issue would not have  been raised if you would not have  announced new products by the end of this year. 🙂 Almost every people that follows the thread are quite enthusiastic about your company and grateful for the extraordinary products that you have launched over the years at an affordable price. So it was expectable to receive  some  comments on this issue. 
Kind regards,

Jorge

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

59 minutes ago, soares said:

Dear Alex,

While I understand your point of view and will respect your guidelines, this issue would not have  been raised if you would not have  announced new products by the end of this year. 🙂 Almost every people that follows the thread are quite enthusiastic about your company and grateful for the extraordinary products that you have launched over the years at an affordable price. So it was expectable to receive  some  comments on this issue. 
Kind regards,

Jorge

The price of success.  Of course, no one wants more email.  On the other hand, I've been thinking about the theory that Shakespeare wasn't one person, but a group.  Got me wondering:  How can "Alex" post on all these threads, run his business with all that entails, work on new developments, etc?  Know what I mean? (No, not that he can throw off the occasional sonnet or play).  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

On 8/25/2020 at 10:40 PM, soares said:

This is the Sonore ‘end point’ isn’t it? If yes it’s already available.

And you’re right the upgrade to 1G is also a strong possibility as Alex ( if I am not wrong)  confirmed that the chips are already available. Looking forward to the end of the year. 🙂

No, the current Sonore range is ethernet to USB.  They do also offer a USB to S/PDIF converter, but that is another box with USB still in the chain.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

24 minutes ago, Confused said:

No, the current Sonore range is ethernet to USB.  They do also offer a USB to S/PDIF converter, but that is another box with USB still in the chain.

You’re wrong. Please look at sonore website. And their tread here. And we shouldn’t discuss Sonore products here. Especially rebranded ones. (Meaning not John Swenson design). 

15 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

You’re wrong. Please look at sonore website. And their tread here. And we shouldn’t discuss Sonore products here. Especially rebranded ones. (Meaning not John Swenson design). 

I stand corrected and vow never to use the S word in an UpTone area again.

I have to admit that the thing I cannot mention was completely off my radar, so thanks for the pointer.  Although, it’s not quite what I had in mind in my slightly erroneous post.....

My apologies for the distraction.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

I was not discussing Sonore here. That’s fair. The other product that can’t be mentioned was announced at the Sonore forum. Not sure who designed it. I just mentioned because as far as I now the 2 companies are working with John. And in my view, there have been trying to launch products for different markets:  UpTone with usb reclockers, LPS designed by John and now the etherregen; Sonore mainly with endpoints). Hope I made myself clear!!!

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

I’ve installed the Etherregen and connected it to the Kef LS50W active speaker system. After burning in the switch for 48 hours, wired Ethernet streaming with the Etherregen now sounds better than WiFi and the Etherregen is a worthy upgrade. Better focus, imaging and timing allowing me to better hear the beginning and ending of notes. Also learned it is best to use unshielded Ethernet for better sound quality. Just for sh*ts & giggles, I purchased this RF cable ground loop isolator from Amazon for $20 and placed it before my cable modem and it actually lowered the noise floor in my system, rendering cleaner audio. Definitely worth trying out:

TII 220 Ground Loop Isolator for Cable TV applications https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0070Q6URO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_V-guFbT04KRVM

• 5 months later...

I have EtherRegen with fiber MMF  to run between Streamer (MSB Discrete DAC with Network renderer) and Music Server (Custom PC). MSB's Network module is quite resilient to upstream connection noise with a certain level of isolation in its design. Regardless, I found EtherRegen makes subtle improvement for MSB Dac, maybe thank to extra isolation to stop further leakage current over copper ethernet 

How is your view in a need to add a high-end music server? Would fiber isolation = cancelation of good and meaningful work on tuning and designed goals of those expensive servers (LPS, Tuned frequencies, precise clocks, etc.)? 

Example of high-end music servers that have hard-to-find negative feedback such as Antipodes K40, 432 EVO Master music server, etc.  I have read technical paper about "Jitter carried through digital data/Clock phase-noise overlay" of John. Assuming those are true or to be proved more with future products, how much performance a high-end music server vs transport/streamers in contributing to end results ? 10/90, 20/80, 50/50 ?

Appreciate your sharing,

• 4 weeks later...

@Superdad

Either @AfterDark. has revealed a new upcoming version of EtherRegen, or he has totally mixed up SFP vs SFP+

https://www.adark.co/products/copy-of-afterdark-project-clayx-constellation-sfp-finisar-active-optical-cable-aoc?utm_campaign=emailmarketing_113156653174&utm_medium=email&utm_source=shopify_email

Adrian you’re also confusing people with adding cat 8 and RJ45 into this product.

Unless you’re trying to sell an RJ45 interface into a SFP. Maybe again listen to much to @ambre ideas ?

Such an item is worsening the sound. No doubt. 

Adrian

What ever this is, if it’s an SFP+ item, you can’t sell it as a device to be used with EtherRegen. 
Please do your homework 😀

(I shall now search for this probably long time EOL (2007) and check what it is). 

Yepp

Can’t work. At lest not with the present version. Unless a new EtherRegen has arrived. 
https://eu.mouser.com/datasheet/2/610/finisar_fcbg110sd1cxx_sfpwire_10gbs_sfp_active_opt-934358.pdf

BTW: They selling at $21 at eBay. 

19 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

@Superdad

Either @AfterDark. has revealed a new upcoming version of EtherRegen,

Nope. No new version of EtherREGEN there...

Nope. If used used with another 1Gbps-only SFP port, SFP+ transceivers can work in EtherREGEN and SFP cage of other switch or fiber media converter.

Adrian you’re also confusing people with adding cat 8 and RJ45 into this product.

Unless you’re trying to sell an RJ45 interface into a SFP. Maybe again listen to much to @ambre ideas ?

Such an item is worsening the sound. No doubt.

No, look closer. It seems he is just offering to bundle in their copper RJ45 Ethernet cable to go from EtherREGEN's 'B' port to DAC-attached endpoint. No lousy RJ45 SFP to be seen on their pages thank goodness. 9_9

Adrian

What ever this is, if it’s an SFP+ item, you can’t sell it as a device to be used with EtherRegen. 
Please do your homework .

I'm sure he has. :D

(I shall now search for this probably long time EOL (2007) and check what it is). 

The Finisar "SFPwire" AOC (active optical cable) is a current product, though they have been around for a few years. (About $65 at DigiKey.com) 

Just a pair of their SFP+ transceivers integrated with a short fiber optic cable. The data sheet (https://app.boxcn.net/shared/static/md9yarsk8wu67s8ceiughtwog9uzof34.pdf) does not list optical characteristics the way their transceiver datasheets do, so I can not tell if it is single-mode or multi-mode fiber. Likely multimode given the short distance and price. But if single-mode I would think that Finisar programs the transceiver for reduced transmit power.

28 minutes ago, Superdad said:

SFP+ transceivers can work in EtherREGEN and SFP cage of other switch or fiber media converter.

I’m 100% sure that product of Adrian won’t work with the EtherRegen.

@JohnSwenson Does the EtherRegen really accept 10GB SFP+

Plugging an SFP+ module into an SFP port delivers no results at all, as the 10G transceiver can never auto-negotiate to 1Gbps “

“there is no such thing as a SFP+ that does 1G towards the fiber and afterward does 10G towards the unit. Despite the fact that we can utilize SFP in SFP+ ports in most cases, that doesn't mean a SFP+ connected to the SFP+ port can support 1G.”

Some more homework to be done here about fiber 😀

20 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Plugging an SFP+ module into an SFP port delivers no results at all, as the 10G transceiver can never auto-negotiate to 1Gbps “

“there is no such thing as a SFP+ that does 1G towards the fiber and afterward does 10G towards the unit. Despite the fact that we can utilize SFP in SFP+ ports in most cases, that doesn't mean a SFP+ connected to the SFP+ port can support 1G.”

Who are you quoting? John wrote this just last week:

On 3/8/2021 at 6:12 PM, JohnSwenson said:

The SFP+ interface was designed to be compatible with regular SFP so you should be able to use SFP+ modules in an ER. Just make sure you use the same modules on both ends.

And I wrote above: "If used used with another 1Gbps-only SFP port, SFP+ transceivers can work in EtherREGEN and SFP cage of other switch or fiber media converter."

36 minutes ago, Superdad said:

And I wrote above: "If used used with another 1Gbps-only SFP port, SFP+ transceivers can work in EtherREGEN and SFP cage of other switch or fiber media converter."

Well, we just have to disagree 😄

I’m saying a pure 10 GHz module can never work in a 1 GHz SFP port. And that’s what he’s selling. 
Anyway no big deal. Let’s se how this turns out. I noticed he just started a new tread. 

A 1 GHz SFP+ will of cause work very well both SFP and SFP+

There are dual rate SFP+ transceivers like the Finisar FTLX8574D3BCV but the product description states:

"This product is for applications specifically designed for 10G SFP+ ports and 1G/10GSFP+ ports and not native 1G SFP ports."

The ports in my 10Gbps Mikrotik switch are 1G/10GSFP+ capability where I have been able to use both 10G SFP+ transceivers as well as 1G SFP transceivers.

3 minutes ago, thyname said:

Wow! All this chatter on SFP and fiber. My advice: you are here, which means you bought (or about to buy) an EtherRegen, call it a day, stay with EtherRegen, no need to do anything else. I should know: I bought the EtherRegen at launch, first batch

Long time no see you! 🤗

Just to flag that at least for me fiber has improved the already extraordinary eR SQ! 
And by the way, try the Chinese Master Clock. It also makes a difference.

Kind regards,

Jorge

2 minutes ago, soares said:

Long time no see you! 🤗

Just to flag that at least for me fiber has improved the already extraordinary eR SQ! 
And by the way, try the Chinese Master Clock. It also makes a difference.

Kind regards,

Jorge

Hello my friend Jorge! Hope all is well with you. Still in US?

I tried all there is:

1) Double opticalModules I had prior to EtherRegen 

2) Mutec Ref10 SE 120

My impressions (granted, all subjective, my own): EtherRegen is as good as it gets without any of these. One thing that I did experience a subtle improvement: a nice linear power supply like Keces.

‘’Cheers!

24 minutes ago, ericuco said:

There are dual rate SFP+ transceivers like the Finisar FTLX8574D3BCV but the product description states:

"This product is for applications specifically designed for 10G SFP+ ports and 1G/10GSFP+ ports and not native 1G SFP ports."

The ports in my 10Gbps Mikrotik switch are 1G/10GSFP+ capability where I have been able to use both 10G SFP+ transceivers as well as 1G SFP transceivers.

We’re not discussing that, but yes, that’s what you need. My statement stays. That specific module won’t work. 
Also I stay away from multi mode and 850nm VCSEL laser. But it’s cheaper.