IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

1 hour ago, jcn3 said:

it's been asked quite a few times already -- the limitation is a function of the hardware used to accomplish the design goal. i think they would have done it the first time if it was possible.

Hi,

Thank you and I appreciate your answer. I thought that the decision was made because it was thought that 10/100 sounded better.

• 5 months later...

Hi, (apologies if this has been covered already), I’ve read lots of comments about the temperature of the etherregen but I’ve struggled to find any explicit advice on whether it’s ok/best to leave it switched on permanently (apart from when I’m away of course) or is it best to turn it off when not in use?

And a second question - I’m using a Paul Hynes SR4T to power it, are there any recommendations on the best voltage to use (I can select 5, 7, 9 or 12). Currently I have it set at 9v and it sounds very nice....just wondering if there’s a voltage that the etherregen is generally felt to sound best at?

Many thanks, Mike.

2 hours ago, Mnemaks said:

Hi, (apologies if this has been covered already), I’ve read lots of comments about the temperature of the etherregen but I’ve struggled to find any explicit advice on whether it’s ok/best to leave it switched on permanently (apart from when I’m away of course) or is it best to turn it off when not in use?

And a second question - I’m using a Paul Hynes SR4T to power it, are there any recommendations on the best voltage to use (I can select 5, 7, 9 or 12). Currently I have it set at 9v and it sounds very nice....just wondering if there’s a voltage that the etherregen is generally felt to sound best at?

Many thanks, Mike.

Use 12 V, and leave on permanently. 

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57586-etherregen-installation-usage-difficulty-questions-thread/?do=findComment&comment=1017096

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57586-etherregen-installation-usage-difficulty-questions-thread/?do=findComment&comment=1073715

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57586-etherregen-installation-usage-difficulty-questions-thread/?do=findComment&comment=1064292

https://audiophilestyle.com/search/?&q=EtherRegen 12V&author=Superdad&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

14 hours ago, Mnemaks said:

Many thanks, Mike.

I settled on 9V from SR4. Just sounded more relaxed with accurate timbres in my system. Obviously YMMV. And I also leave mine on 24/7.

Regards

GG

1 hour ago, ASRMichael said:

I'm using 7v with Sean Jacobs DC3. Works great. 

Of cause it will. The UpTone website states the following:

DC power input range — 7V/1.4A, 9V/1.0A, 12V/0.8A

What may is a bit odd is that 9V seems to have lowest consumption. (W=U x I)

4 hours ago, R1200CL said:

What may is a bit odd is that 9V seems to have lowest consumption. (W=U x I)

No, wattage draw is about the same at all voltages in the range. My amperage quotations are approximations. Was not going to get silly going past one decimal place. 9_9 Actual draw will vary slightly (a few 10s of mA)  based on connections anyway.

9 minutes ago, k27R said:

What’s the actual range of current draw at  of those voltages? And does the use of the SFP port change the draw?

As mentioned, variation in draw will be just +/- a few tens of mA (ten mA being 0.010A). Just use a PS capable of at least 10 watts and you will be fine.  While yes, use of an SFP transceiver adds a little load, that is still just a few tens of mA (depending upon the transceiver).

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

As mentioned, variation in draw will be just +/- a few tens of mA (ten mA being 0.010A). Just use a PS capable of at least 10 watts and you will be fine.  While yes, use of an SFP transceiver adds a little load, that is still just a few tens of mA (depending upon the transceiver).

I was referring to your approximations for each voltage.  It ranges from 9.0W to 9.8W.  I’m just curious of what the actual measured current draw range is.

On 8/21/2020 at 10:32 AM, MikePid said:

I’m powering my ER with an SR4T at 12V. It sounds so good!  I’ll try 9V to compare. 
And I leave mine on 24/7.

Mike

I just switched my SR4T from 9V to 7V this week, and I think I prefer it at 7V (although I haven't done detailed comparisons--more passive listening since the change). 

I connected the iFi iPower 9v, version X, to the ETherREGEN, because I sold my UltraRendu powered by this power supply (updating the UR was always a hassle) and it sounds quite good to me, coming from the ER’s own power brick. Of course: I grounded the EtherREGEN to be sure.

The Melco S100 Switch was/is favourable reviewed in the latest edition of HiFi News, although they still think a common switch with an LPS can do the trick somehow too. So, it’s in an certain way a two way-story with a cheap and expensive solution. They mentioned other switches on the market too, but sadly not the EtherREGEN, we all love 💕 so much.,

My 3 guesses:

i) A single box combining an etherRegen and a LPS

ii) A new IsoRegen

iii) A clock for the EtherRegen and or the new IsoRegen. 
I am almost certain on the first two. Some doubts on the 3rd one looking at the difficulties already shared by John.

I am already saving some money... 🙂

cheers Jorge

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

I rather think (or hope) an etherRegen with the 100 MHz upgrade to 1 GB. Maybe even optical on both sides. (More flexible and will work better with opticalrendu). 

I hope not with a LPS. Present housing keeps cost down.

Maybe some LT3045 boxes similar to those Alexey make, but I don’t expect so. 
A new ISOregen is possible, but can it be better ?

Maybe a DAC ?

I like to see an Ethernet to AES/EBU converter. (With NAA and RAAT). I’m quite sure something will happen here, but it probably take some time. This will turn every old DAC into a streaming DAC. (Not to be compared with Sonores endpoint).

If not, at least an USB to SPDIF converter. But we should move away from USB. 

A new USPCP. Probably with possible 5V power input.

I hope no external clocks. Better spend money on clocks done correctly internally.

And maybe something none have taught of 😀

I think UpTone like to have products below 1K. 

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

like to see an Ethernet to AES/EBU converter. (With NAA and RAAT). I’m quite sure something will happen here, but it probably take some time.

This is the Sonore ‘end point’ isn’t it? If yes it’s already available.

And you’re right the upgrade to 1G is also a strong possibility as Alex ( if I am not wrong)  confirmed that the chips are already available. Looking forward to the end of the year. 🙂

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

- I personally would very much like the next gen EtheRegen to continue to have a connector for an external clock. There is just no way an internal clock can reach the level of accuracy/noise control afforded by a top of the range external clocks. No issue to have a better internal one of course.

- I think that better thermal control thanks to a larger unit would be most welcome for sure.

- Due to a specific issue faced by my Devialet, I would prefer to stick to 100 Mbps.

- More visual confirmation about the clock mode being engaged (internal/external) thanks to a led would be welcome.

Cheers,

Bernard

Room: Gik Acoustics room conditioning | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Shunyata Everest + Shunyata Sigma NR v2 power cables | Source: Mac mini with LPS running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore OpticalModule + Melco S10 + Shunyata Omega Ethernet | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro Core Infinity | Speakers: Chord Company Sarum T speaker cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1