IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

Thanks Alex, I was planning on testing the NUC output directly to the DAC using USB versus the ER ethernet into the Bridge II. One member on PS Audio forum has stated he likes the ER B side output feeding his DAC Bridge II better than the Nucleus outputting USB through a IsoReg to the USB input on the DAC. I guess the difference would be I would want to test the ER flipped with a clean ethernet A side feed to the NUC outputting USB versus the A side feed direct to the Bridge II. That was why I wanted to know if the ER worked well in reverse.

@Superdad apologies if it’s been covered earlier (there will no doubt be a few rolling their eyes as they read this!), but do I need to ground the ER to a mains socket even if the LPS-1.2 powering it at 12V is fed with a ground-shunted SMPS?

Also, is it advisable to avoid using a multi-rail LPSU to power items either side of the Moat? I have a Sonictransporter (19V) and Netgear GS105 (12V) on the B side upstream and a modified Singxer SU-1 (5V) on the A side downstream. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, BlueDL said:

@Superdad apologies if it’s been covered earlier (there will no doubt be a few rolling their eyes as they read this!), but do I need to ground the ER to a mains socket even if the LPS-1.2 powering it at 12V is fed with a ground-shunted SMPS?

The output of an UltraCap LPS-1.2 supply is 100% "floated" so yes, if you have more than one RJ45 connection to the 'A' side of the EtherREGEN and are using an LPS-1.2 for power then use of the Ground screw is advised.

Please refer to page 8 of the User Guide.

2 minutes ago, BlueDL said:

Also, is it advisable to avoid using a multi-rail LPSU to power items either side of the Moat? I have a Sonictransporter (19V) and Netgear GS105 (12V) on the B side upstream and a modified Singxer SU-1 (5V) on the A side downstream. Thanks.

It depends upon the design of the multi-rail LPSU. This topic is covered at the top of page 9 of the User Guide.

Also, I think you have 'A'-side and 'B'-side reversed. :)

3 minutes ago, Superdad said:

The output of an UltraCap LPS-1.2 supply is 100% "floated" so yes, if you have more than one RJ45 connection to the 'A' side of the EtherREGEN and are using an LPS-1.2 for power then use of the Ground screw is advised.

Please refer to page 8 of the User Guide.

It depends upon the design of the multi-rail LPSU. This topic is covered at the top of page 9 of the User Guide.

Also, I think you have 'A'-side and 'B'-side reversed. :)

Thanks Alex.

The two are deliberately reversed as my renderer is an OpticalRendu. Use of ‘B side to OpticalModule to renderer’ would probably be no better than the approach I’ve taken. As I only use the SFP output on the A side, I suspect a ground isn’t required though.

OK, I’ll take a look at the User Guide.......sometimes I gotta admit defeat! 😂

48 minutes ago, André Gosselin said:

This would not work anyway as the ER B side is 100 Mbits only and the optical module is 1 GBit only.

Good point! I was using a Netgear switch and a TP-Link MC220L FMC before the ER arrived, so I’ve been brainwashed into wrongly thinking it was an option to use an OM. Cheers.

5 hours ago, emailists said:

Are there any audiophile libel lawyers in the group?  Can an online publisher be sued for calling a legitimate (and extremely ethical and transparent) company like UpTone a scam?  It was actually a member of the group that used the term scam (which seems to have a specific meaning of fraud) but then publisher responded by offering a reward for anyone that could hear a difference in an abx type test (which would imply that the publisher endorsed the libel).  I realize this is a bit off topic, but there’s a huge difference between (wrongly) stating a product doesn’t have a sound scientific basis, and promoting/fostering statements that a company is engaged in illegal or unethical activity, when clearly they are not.  

I was thinking the same thing. That other forum is full will “scam” and “conman” calls and statements. Now there is no way @Superdad can do anything about those teenage keyboard warriors, but it’s clear who the main instigator is, as owner of the site, and some manufacturers. A law suit should be considered 

Hi Alex,

your dealer in Sweden meta wave told me this week I might still have a chance to get an ER in December, which surprised me since this is the batch that sold out in 40 minutes 2 months ago on your website. I thought all the dealers units were long sold as well.

He put me on his preorder list but didn’t seem to know exactly how many units he’ll get. Hence my question: How many are you sending to Scandinavia ?

Also, any chance you might find a way to make the ER run cooler (50 degrees Celsius really? Or is that 40). Or do you know for sure it’s gonna stay the way it is and we shouldn’t worry about it.

best,

thomas 

congrats for this impressive launch.

11 minutes ago, Thmoas said:

Hi Alex,

your dealer in Sweden meta wave told me this week I might still have a chance to get an ER in December, which surprised me since this is the batch that sold out in 40 minutes 2 months ago on your website. I thought all the dealers units were long sold as well.

He put me on his preorder list but didn’t seem to know exactly how many units he’ll get. Hence my question: How many are you sending to Scandinavia ?

Our dealers committed to units from both November and December batches long ago.  Meta Wave’s December units (15 pieces) will be shipping from the USA this Tuesday.

Also, any chance you might find a way to make the ER run cooler (50 degrees Celsius really? Or is that 40). Or do you know for sure it’s gonna stay the way it is and we shouldn’t worry about it.

48~52C.  That will not change. We affix three heatsinks—covering about 8 major logic and power parts—using custom-mixed thermal gap filler compound. This draws heat from the board which in turn warms the case. We spent a lot this of time performing thermal tests. I even had 10 slots milled into the top but that did not change much.

There is nothing to worry about. Just allow average air to flow around it (in other words, don’t burry it in deep carpet behind your rack).

thomas 

congrats for this impressive launch.

Thank you Thomas!

Quick shipment, fantastic product. Well done you two, and your minions (or elves?) helping with assembly and shipping.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

Well, if you hire another son, I am sure you'll be able to choose his attributes.

You are called Superdad for a reason. You deserve a Superson.

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)

Meta Wave from Sweden told me they had an ER for me in the December batch, that’s a big surprise as I entered their pre-order list really late, a couple of weeks ago... 

Anyway I placed my order and might get it by the end of the week, although the current strike in France (yes another one :) ) might cause some delay.

looking forward to trying it!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2019 at 1:07 PM, Superdad said:

Thanks very much. But sadly, no minions or elves helping in the workshop.  Just myself, my assistant, and sometimes my 18-year old son. 

Hi Alex @Superdad, I'm anxiously awaiting shipment of ER.  When you have time, would you mind updating us on when the next batches (order number ranges) will ship?

Thanks much

2 hours ago, lpost said:

Hi Alex @Superdad, I'm anxiously awaiting shipment of ER.  When you have time, would you mind updating us on when the next batches (order number ranges) will ship?

Thanks much

Hi Thomas:

If you are in the January batch you should have received an e-mail update early in December indicating that all January batch orders would be shipped by January 16th (or in the days leading up to that).  I also posted the announcement of the same here:

Now if at the time of ordering the EtherREGEN web page--and the order acknowledgment e-mail--promised February delivery, we are not yet quoting firm ship-by date for those February orders. The circuit boards will be here by the end of January, but the date from our aluminum case vendor for the next 250 units is middle-February. We can process (flash, test, attach heatsinks, etc.) the boards before the cases arrive, but we will need some days to assemble cases, install the boards, package, and ship.

Of course everyone can count on UpTone to keep you informed and to always deliver as promised. It is simply how we operate. B|

Thanks to all for your enthusiasm and patience.  And HAPPY NEW YEARS! 

--Alex C.

Hi Alex,

i think you were responding to Ipost. I was lucky to get my ER late in December thanks to metawave. I still have to post my listening impressions in the other thread as I was giving it time to settle. I’m listening to it right now and the dynamics/bass impact/level of details I’m getting is just crazy. This is a really nice Christmas present I got this year thanks to you. You made computer audio swing! 

Happy new year,

thomas 

Hi Alex and happy new year. 

How far are we away from next Uptone product launch ?

You and John seems very busy, so maybe not before next year, and probably you won’t tell us before almost ready for sale anyway 😀

One important effect of the ER, is that downstream clocks benefit form it.

Can any off the technology used (invented) in the ER being used anywhere else in the digital chain like USB/SPDIF converters, endpoints, or even DAC’s ? (Remove clock jitter etc.)

When could we expect to see Johns white paper ?