IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

7 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

The GND screw is on the A side gnd, so checking continuity between the BNC shell and the GND screw will show no continuity.

This is not what I did I checked between BNC shell and the shell on the RJ45 on B-side they are supposed to have the same potential or did I get that wrong?

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
8 hours ago, jos said:

You can buy a half a meter here: https://www.futureshop.co.uk/supra-cat8-flame-retardant-ethernet-cable, or here: https://www.av-connection.com/?PNo=SUPCAT8-005 (quite cheap). I have this short cable from my Apple router to my ER and I just removed the golden shield at one end with a small kitchen knife quite easily.

Did you notice any audible differences after the removal?

6 hours ago, octaviars said:

This is not what I did I checked between BNC shell and the shell on the RJ45 on B-side they are supposed to have the same potential or did I get that wrong?

Aha, the RJ45 shell is not galvanically connected to the gnd plane, it is common to capacitively couple it to the plane. But high impedance leakage can still make it through.

John S.

9 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

The shell of the BNC jack is connected to the B side gnd, NOT the A side gnd. The GND screw is on the A side gnd, so checking continuity between the BNC shell and the GND screw will show no continuity.

There is very high isolation between the A and B side grounds.

John S.

If I plan to use an external reference clock into the BNC jack on the B side, I take it that it would then be best to connect the A side to the endpoint (assuming the switch will be used as a one input and one output device).

Will the power supply to the reference clock matter? I'm guessing it shouldn't anymore but would like to confirm this. 

Thanks, Kin

3 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

Aha, the RJ45 shell is not galvanically connected to the gnd plane, it is common to capacitively couple it to the plane. But high impedance leakage can still make it through.

John S.

Just so I got this right.

If you dont use any clock connection it does not matter if the LAN cable on the B-side have the shield connected at the eR side as the connection ends via a capacitor to the groundplane on the B-side?

But if you use a clock connection you might form a ground loop or even disable the whole isolation if the clock is powered from something that also connects to the A-side?

Main system
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC

Second system
2 hours ago, flkin said:

If I plan to use an external reference clock into the BNC jack on the B side, I take it that it would then be best to connect the A side to the endpoint (assuming the switch will be used as a one input and one output device).

Will the power supply to the reference clock matter? I'm guessing it shouldn't anymore but would like to confirm this. 

Thanks, Kin

If you are using an external clock and the endpoint has an RJ45, definitely hook the endpoint up to the B side.

I haven't done any A vs B power supply testing with external clocks, but my guess is they are quite important. Any leakage coming through the power supply will be directly modulating the clock output. Noise is also probably important. Interestingly what makes a good supply for a clock may very well be different than what makes a good supply for a switch or an endpoint.

8 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

.. Any leakage coming through the power supply will be directly modulating the clock output. ..

Would passing over the moat in the EtherRegen remove/reverse the effects of the modulated clock output in this case?

What I’m trying to ask is whether a B side external clock’s power supply matter on the A side?

I think I will to be safe just tie the shield at my endpoint even if I dont have any external clock and LPSU in the endpoint. Great post by the way. @JohnSwenson 👍

Main system

Second system
25 minutes ago, nonesup said:

Now is when I am already confused.  I thought I understood that if the cable tied at both ends was on side B, there was no problem.  After reading this post I am not so clear.  So if you have a cable tied at both ends that goes from the B side to a server that has a switched internal PSU and no external clock is used, are there problems or not?

John S has been consistent in saying that the shield should not be attached at both ends on the B side.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
27 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

John S has been consistent in saying that the shield should not be attached at both ends on the B side.

Very interesting.

How do you understand Alex's post 7578, which is attached?

“The ‘B’ side of the EtherREGEN is neither susceptible, nor can it become part of, ANY leakage loops. The ‘B’ side circuitry and port exist on their own entirely isolated power and ground domain. [Only the External clock BNC ground is common to the ‘B’-side ground-plane.] So if you have a fancy metal-shell shield-tied Ethernet cable, go ahead and use it on the ‘B’ side port for connection your DAC-attached streamer/renderer endpoint. This is the connection that matters most when using an EtherREGEN anyway: If you are going to hear a difference with an Ethernet cable, it will more likely be with the ‘B’-side cable. This is also a good one to keep short.”

Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Melco N1ZH60-2 / Audio Research Ref. 5 SE / Gryphon Essence Stereo / Rockport Atria I / Göbel XLR and RCA Cables / Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / Sablon Ethernet Cabe / MIT Magnum MA Sepeakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (3), Sigma NR V1(1) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Paul Hynes SR7T for Melco S-100 Pink Faun Upgraded / Farad Super3 for IPS Modem-Router / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

1 minute ago, nonesup said:

Very interesting.

Please do not take everything I say as gospel! x-D

And as John has explained, this stuff gets complicated and unless he stopped everything else to try and measure various leakage and sources of same with all kinds of configurations (NOT going to happen!) you guys are going to need to experiment and find what works best for you.  We are giving basic guidelines for use of the EtherREGEN.  It sounds terrific straight out of the box (I guess better with 100 hours as reported). Beyond that just have fun and don't break anything! :D

17 minutes ago, nonesup said:

Very interesting.

“The ‘B’ side of the EtherREGEN is neither susceptible, nor can it become part of, ANY leakage loops. The ‘B’ side circuitry and port exist on their own entirely isolated power and ground domain. [Only the External clock BNC ground is common to the ‘B’-side ground-plane.] So if you have a fancy metal-shell shield-tied Ethernet cable, go ahead and use it on the ‘B’ side port for connection your DAC-attached streamer/renderer endpoint. This is the connection that matters most when using an EtherREGEN anyway: If you are going to hear a difference with an Ethernet cable, it will more likely be with the ‘B’-side cable. This is also a good one to keep short.”

If you are NOT using an external clock then using an end to end tied shielded cable should be fine. It looks like the only difference to that is if you have an external clock. The end to end tied shielded cable MAY cause a problem with that.

John S.

32 minutes ago, nonesup said:

Very interesting.

25 minutes ago, Superdad said:

And as John has explained, this stuff gets complicated and unless he stopped everything else to try and measure various leakage and sources of same with all kinds of configurations (NOT going to happen!) you guys are going to need to experiment and find what works best for you.  We are giving basic guidelines for use of the EtherREGEN.  It sounds terrific straight out of the box (I guess better with 100 hours as reported). Beyond that just have fun and don't break anything! :D

It’s not a gospel for sure, but very black in the manual too.

26 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Oh that's fine, because my Göbel Ethernet cable cost me "a ball", that sounds great and it's not to be left in a corner.😁

Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Melco N1ZH60-2 / Audio Research Ref. 5 SE / Gryphon Essence Stereo / Rockport Atria I / Göbel XLR and RCA Cables / Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / Sablon Ethernet Cabe / MIT Magnum MA Sepeakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (3), Sigma NR V1(1) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Paul Hynes SR7T for Melco S-100 Pink Faun Upgraded / Farad Super3 for IPS Modem-Router / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

7 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

If you are NOT using an external clock then using an end to end tied shielded cable should be fine. It looks like the only difference to that is if you have an external clock. The end to end tied shielded cable MAY cause a problem with that.

John S.

I just tested all my fancy ethernet cables with a multimeter and they are ALL tied shielded at both ends! They include Audioquest Cinnamon, Supra Cat8 and various Chord Cables. I heard Cat7 & Cat8 standards require both ends to be shielded. So are you suggesting to use Cat5 or Cat6 only? Is this shielding suggestion relevant if ER is grounded?  

For what some people are spending on Ethernet cables, you can have an Optical Module and inexpensive optical Ethernet cable.

I personally have just plugged these into the system and everything sounds great:

https://smile.amazon.com/Monoprice-SlimRun-Cat6A-Ethernet-Patch/dp/B01BGV2TAA/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=monoprice+slimrun+ethernet&qid=1574812177&sr=8-3

They replaced Blue Jeans tested and certified 6a, and everything sounded great with those too. Only reason I replaced them is that they’re heavy and stiff, and I figured the new light and flexible ones would torque the Ethernet connections less.

Thanks to @lmitche for turning me on to the Slimrun cables.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, Ehsu said:

I just tested all my fancy ethernet cables with a multimeter and they are ALL tied shielded at both ends! They include Audioquest Cinnamon, Supra Cat8 and various Chord Cables. I heard Cat7 & Cat8 standards require both ends to be shielded. So are you suggesting to use Cat5 or Cat6 only? Is this shielding suggestion relevant if ER is grounded?  

Are you using an external clock? If NOT use whatever you wish. If you ARE using an external clock you MAY have an issue with those end to end tied cables.

I'm not TELLING you what to do. I'm stating where there MAY be an interaction that might cause a decrease in sound quality. It is entirely up to you to try different cables and listen for your self. If your expensive cables sound the best, stick with them. If something that is not shield tied from end to end sounds better, use that.

All the above is related to the B side, the ground screw etc is just for the A side.

John S.

6 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

Are you using an external clock? If NOT use whatever you wish. If you ARE using an external clock you MAY have an issue with those end to end tied cables.

I'm not TELLING you what to do. I'm stating where there MAY be an interaction that might cause a decrease in sound quality. It is entirely up to you to try different cables and listen for your self. If your expensive cables sound the best, stick with them. If something that is not shield tied from end to end sounds better, use that.

All the above is related to the B side, the ground screw etc is just for the A side.

John S.

Great!! I am not using an external clock. It can be confusing reading people's comments on the forum 😞 Thank you John!

Hehe...just connected the ER to my Keces P8 LPS with a cable for grounding. 
Idling at 0,8A/12V while my Sonictransporter i5 is idling at 0,6A/12V. Mini Computer speaking :) 

As I updated the FW, I could experience the overall PCB - quiet nice and a lot of chips are located on smallest room. @JohnSwenson had a hard job to Lay-out with good grounding in mind. Chapeau!