IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

Hi All.

The ER sounds like a fantastic product for server/endpoint/NAS setups and/or for those who stream music.

If I understand correctly, the B side is attached to the PC closest to the DAC and isolates upstream noise.

I would get one as well but I don't stream and plan to use a single PC setup very soon as top notch power supplies can be expensive.

My PC/NUC would only be connected to ethernet to control playback.

Is there anyone out there using ER in a single computer setup (eg. Euphony Stylus) who only plays local files attached to the local computer (ie. not NAS)?

Thanks for any advice.

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

6 hours ago, fpalm69 said:

I found several 6 inch (0.5ft.) Ethernet cables on Amazon.  Went with the StarTech brand and YES, I noticed improved SQ over the 1M Supra it replaced.  This is between the EtherREGEN and the Roon Nucleus.

I like Supra cables and use them throughout my system - USB & power cables.  Good tip on modifying the Supra Cat8 to remove the shield.  I'll give that a try.

We're these 6" StarTech cables Cat6, Cat6A, or something else?

Thx!

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

5 hours ago, HeeBroG said:

Hi All.

The ER sounds like a fantastic product for server/endpoint/NAS setups and/or for those who stream music.

If I understand correctly, the B side is attached to the PC closest to the DAC and isolates upstream noise.

I would get one as well but I don't stream and plan to use a single PC setup very soon as top notch power supplies can be expensive.

My PC/NUC would only be connected to ethernet to control playback.

Is there anyone out there using ER in a single computer setup (eg. Euphony Stylus) who only plays local files attached to the local computer (ie. not NAS)?

Thanks for any advice.

you may want to review my system - see signature

local playback only

no internet streaming

single windows pc (controlled by remote desktop from listening position)

dante / focusrite

etherREGEN!

(i don't use apple products and have no experience with euphony stylus)

Hi 
I am also only using local files playback with Linux PC
Trying to do it as simple as possible. 

I have dedicated power line to my HIFI system and seperate ground rod. 

I have an Ansuz Mainz Power distributor , that connects all products in same distributor. 
All SMPS is out of the way and replaced with Linears. (Teddy Pardo , Auraliti and some LM317 types). 

Want to get rid of all SMPS noise, so do not want that in (or near) my system. 

1) I am not 100% about the recomended LAN cables to use.. (Shielded or not shielded or JSSG shielded or etc)
2) Also , I am not sure about if some of my products, should maybe NOT be in the common Distribution box ?

Really could use some suggestions about this (or other if you feel like it)

Of course I will also try and listen, but there are hundreds of combinations..

Thanks

Here is my setup:

System Overview 2019.jpg

Best Regards

Buch

"If there's no music up in heaven, then what's it for?" (Arcade Fire)

Ipad remote control > Etherregen > Auraliti PK90 > USB HDD > IsoRegen > Aavik U-300 > Raidho X-3 Ceramic Speakers

BTW - Almost forgot ..
The ER did some nice changes in my system.. I had some dropouts as well, so await for the new FW.
But has played for some days now without.

Lower noisefloor , better insight in the music, bass notes much more clear. Wider/deeper soundstage and etc..
Only small downside is on some recordings, I think there is a small amount of hizz / digital sharpness. 
That is why I changed to LSPU instead of the Uptone standard. But this did not help much. Also burn-in did not get rid of it all. 
I feel that this is something than can be better, so that is why my questions above :)
Thanks

Best Regards

Buch

Ipad remote control > Etherregen > Auraliti PK90 > USB HDD > IsoRegen > Aavik U-300 > Raidho X-3 Ceramic Speakers

There are already quite a few users who, together with the description of improvements in bass, spatiality, clarity, also report a certain roughness in trebels.  This besides worrying, because I hate it, I find it incomprehensible;  How does the digital hash increase if we are decreasing the phase noise?

Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Melco N1ZH60-2 / Audio Research Ref. 5 SE / Gryphon Essence Stereo / Rockport Atria I / Göbel XLR and RCA Cables / Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / Sablon Ethernet Cabe / MIT Magnum MA Sepeakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (3), Sigma NR V1(1) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Paul Hynes SR7T for Melco S-100 Pink Faun Upgraded / Farad Super3 for IPS Modem-Router / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

2 hours ago, nonesup said:

There are already quite a few users who, together with the description of improvements in bass, spatiality, clarity, also report a certain roughness in trebels.  This besides worrying, because I hate it, I find it incomprehensible;  How does the digital hash increase if we are decreasing the phase noise?

I empathise because my life's work seems to be accounted for banishing "digititis".

I offer four morsels:

1. The cable *after* the ER can affect "roughness" (UTP) and "hash" (STP tied both ends). I am OK with an AQ (STP tied destination only).

2. Most of my generic digital pain so far as I can tell is accounted for by electrical noise. I say this because I can mitigate it with isolation transformers, Isotek strips, shunts etc - and I can tweak these endlessly - although I do usually settle down with something optimal.

3. This is true even with the ER (which has powered components both before and after it).

4. The EtherREGEN does stuff other components don't. Its implementation can produce weird effects (let's just say altering the relative emphasis of upstream and downstream SQ factors) which may be compounded with the burn-in dimension - but which effects make sense in the end.

After 200 hours + my ER is sounding as sweet as anything right across the frequency range.

No nastiness at all.

Tonally profound too.

I had to work to get where I am tweaking and allowing cooking.

I can't fault it today.

It's an awesome device.

I know as a fact of my experience that the ER is the *solution* to my digititis problem.

In summary - your problem is probably not the ER.

I say this with some humility (which I can summon) since I don't know how the ER engages with your system vs. mine.

I am no technician - I can't provide "bottom up" accounting for my trial-and-error triumphs.

🙂

Italy (Milano) here and...

1383933615_Screenshot2019-11-24at19_13_48.thumb.png.d59bbba3c3996a28a5df6cabec1a66ca.png

might be something with your ISP. and maybe just temporary

try using Cloud Flare's DNSs: 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 instead of your provider's ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

1 hour ago, Iving said:

I empathise because my life's work seems to be accounted for banishing "digititis".

I offer four morsels:

1. The cable *after* the ER can affect "roughness" (UTP) and "hash" (STP tied both ends). I am OK with an AQ (STP tied destination only).

2. Most of my generic digital pain so far as I can tell is accounted for by electrical noise. I say this because I can mitigate it with isolation transformers, Isotek strips, shunts etc - and I can tweak these endlessly - although I do usually settle down with something optimal.

3. This is true even with the ER (which has powered components both before and after it).

4. The EtherREGEN does stuff other components don't. Its implementation can produce weird effects (let's just say altering the relative emphasis of upstream and downstream SQ factors) which may be compounded with the burn-in dimension - but which effects make sense in the end.

After 200 hours + my ER is sounding as sweet as anything right across the frequency range.

No nastiness at all.

Tonally profound too.

I had to work to get where I am tweaking and allowing cooking.

I can't fault it today.

It's an awesome device.

I know as a fact of my experience that the ER is the *solution* to my digititis problem.

In summary - your problem is probably not the ER.

I say this with some humility (which I can summon) since I don't know how the ER engages with your system vs. mine.

I am no technician - I can't provide "bottom up" accounting for my trial-and-error triumphs.

🙂

I don't know if I didn't express myself correctly since English is not my language, but "I don't have any problem with the digital hash and ER" simply because I'm in the second batch and I still don't have it.  
It simply catches my attention that there are several users who describe a certain tightening of trebels with ER and that is something I would never have expected.  For the rest, if you look at my system, you will see the effort I have made in reducing noise: from the ethernet cable that goes from the AqVOX Switch to the Melco Server, which is not even close to any AQ (I have several and one Diamond of  1.5 m to the sale), up to LPS for Router and Switch, Shunyata Denali and the best Entreq boxes and cables.  
I simply hope that in my system, ER does not harden the trebels, that would not support it.

Best

Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Melco N1ZH60-2 / Audio Research Ref. 5 SE / Gryphon Essence Stereo / Rockport Atria I / Göbel XLR and RCA Cables / Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / Sablon Ethernet Cabe / MIT Magnum MA Sepeakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (3), Sigma NR V1(1) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Paul Hynes SR7T for Melco S-100 Pink Faun Upgraded / Farad Super3 for IPS Modem-Router / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

1 minute ago, nonesup said:

I don't know if I didn't express myself correctly since English is not my language, but "I don't have any problem with the digital hash and ER" simply because I'm in the second batch and I still don't have it.  
It simply catches my attention that there are several users who describe a certain tightening of trebels with ER and that is something I would never have expected.  For the rest, if you look at my system, you will see the effort I have made in reducing noise: from the ethernet cable that goes from the AqVOX Switch to the Melco Server, which is not even close to any AQ (I have several and one Diamond of  1.5 m to the sale), up to LPS for Router and Switch, Shunyata Denali and the best Entreq boxes and cables.  
I simply hope that in my system, ER does not harden the trebels, that would not support it.

Best

lol yes you seemed to be talking from experience

look forward to your listening impressions eventually!

26 minutes ago, nonesup said:

I imagine the system owners would disagree, but I got the impression that some who posted to this effect had speakers I would consider bright sounding. I think the ER helps bring out the sound of the rest of the system.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 hours ago, Iving said:

You might consider that a STP cable with shields tied at both ends will on the eR B-side act as a cable with the shield just tied on the destination (the RJ45 outershell on the eR B-side have no connection to anything else besides the ground on the bnc connector).

@Superdad I know you wrote that the shell on the RJ45 on B-side only have connection with bnc ground but when I checked it with my multimeter there was no connection.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
5 hours ago, buch73 said:

Only small downside is on some recordings, I think there is a small amount of hizz / digital sharpness. 

You said the eR is broken in.  Just curious:  How many hours playing music?

As a few others have said, some systems may require a long break in.  I'm approaching 200 hours and the last 30 hours has resulted in a very large improvement in the treble.  I'm waiting for it to fully settle before I make a final judgement, but right now, listening to "Our Place:  Duets for Cello and Guitar," I am thanking the musicians for coming over to my place to play for me.  Simply outstanding in every way (Jud, you were right about the cello!).    

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

8 hours ago, PYP said:

You said the eR is broken in.  Just curious:  How many hours playing music?

As a few others have said, some systems may require a long break in.  I'm approaching 200 hours and the last 30 hours has resulted in a very large improvement in the treble.  I'm waiting for it to fully settle before I make a final judgement, but right now, listening to "Our Place:  Duets for Cello and Guitar," I am thanking the musicians for coming over to my place to play for me.  Simply outstanding in every way (Jud, you were right about the cello!).    

I reached the 100 hours mark some time ago and saw many mentioned that was good enough and then I have not played that much on it since. 20-30 hours maybe. 
I see now that more people say improvements up to 200 hours now. 
I will let it play and reach that mark within 3-4 days and see. 

If I use seperate LPSU for each product, but then put the LPSU AC cords in common power strip - can this make that I do not get full credit for the MOAT ? 

Best Regards

Buch

On 11/23/2019 at 9:35 PM, DelsFan said:

That's good info; too bad I just purchased two more CAT8 Supra Ethernet cables.  Would it suffice if I (get my friend to) only "modify" one of the cables?  And if so, which one, and on either end??

The first Ethernet cable is probably fine as it is, it connects the modem to the router.

The second goes from my router to my switch/EtherREGEN.

The third goes from my switch/B-Side of EtherREGEN to my streamer.

Somewhere I read that "short" Ethernet cables should be no shorter than one meter in length.  It has been reasonably easy for me to follow this "rule"; but did I dream it?  I don't actually recall seeing 1/2 meter lengths for sale anywhere... 

You can buy a half a meter here: https://www.futureshop.co.uk/supra-cat8-flame-retardant-ethernet-cable, or here: https://www.av-connection.com/?PNo=SUPCAT8-005 (quite cheap). I have this short cable from my Apple router to my ER and I just removed the golden shield at one end with a small kitchen knife quite easily.

11 hours ago, buch73 said:

If I use seperate LPSU for each product, but then put the LPSU AC cords in common power strip - can this make that I do not get full credit for the MOAT ? 

There are others more capable than I am of answering this, but it seems to me the MOAT filters out noise that is introduced via the ethernet cable, and as long as you use the eR as suggested, you get the benefit.  And that the AC side of things is a different issue.  

My DAC and eR, using the stock power supply and power cord, are plugged into a common power conditioner (fed by a dedicated outlet) and that arrangement works well.  Power conditioners/strips that are able to isolate the outlets from each other, help with any cross contamination of power supplies.  Hope that helps answer your question.

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

23 hours ago, octaviars said:

You might consider that a STP cable with shields tied at both ends will on the eR B-side act as a cable with the shield just tied on the destination (the RJ45 outershell on the eR B-side have no connection to anything else besides the ground on the bnc connector).

@Superdad I know you wrote that the shell on the RJ45 on B-side only have connection with bnc ground but when I checked it with my multimeter there was no connection.

The shell of the BNC jack is connected to the B side gnd, NOT the A side gnd. The GND screw is on the A side gnd, so checking continuity between the BNC shell and the GND screw will show no continuity.

There is very high isolation between the A and B side grounds.

John S.