IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

3 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

You mention things like digital cables etc depleting bass, this has nothing to do with bits being changed. It is all about some form of noise (usually either voltage noise or phase noise) hitching a ride along with the digital data (the bits) and getting into the DAC. This causes very small distortions in the analog signal which somehow cause the human perceptual system to hear "depleted bass". It really isn't depleted bass, if you measure the actual audio signal the frequency response doesn't change, but those specific small distortions cause your perceptual system to hear it that way. (there is way more to this than just bass). THAT is what the EtherREGEN is all about. Getting rid of those noise components before they reach your DAC.

Hi John;

Thanks for sharing your deep knowledge here. I am wondering if better shielded copper LAN cables upstream into A side makes EtherRegen's job easier?

The logic here is that EtherRegen would have an easier job to filter out all the noise if there is less noise RF etc.. got into A side cables. If the answer is yes to my logic above, then wouldn't it improve sound quality further at outputs?

Cheers

Eddie

11 hours ago, Ehsu said:

Hi John;

Thanks for sharing your deep knowledge here. I am wondering if better shielded copper LAN cables upstream into A side makes EtherRegen's job easier?

The logic here is that EtherRegen would have an easier job to filter out all the noise if there is less noise RF etc.. got into A side cables. If the answer is yes to my logic above, then wouldn't it improve sound quality further at outputs?

Cheers

Eddie

I *think* John answered that here :)

27 minutes ago, Dutch said:

The whole purpose of the EtherREGEN is to greatly reduce effects coming from the upstream system.

@Dutch Exactly why I asked the question because John Swenson said the purpose of the ER is to " greatly reduce effects from upstream system" so I was wondering wouldnt it be better off to have " less " noise upstream for EtherRegen to deal with? Say ER can reduce 90% of noise from upstream but imagine if your upstream system generate much less noise to begin with.... 

If better shielded cables are reasonably inexpensive, why not try it/them, on the theory that at least it couldn’t hurt?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

At the risk of drawing an unfair OT strike, I am sure @Ehsu has a point. I am so convinced from prior experience that - since, as a generic proposition, short and/or shielded ethernet cables yield better SQ than long and/or cheap - I have manually shielded a handful of AQ Cinnamons in preparation. It's not difficult to do. AQ have confirmed to me wrt their RJ/E ethernet cables "We do not tie the drains on the input #1 end. Only on the #2 end, destination end. This helps reduce overall system noise for better audio performance." I don't change the underlying integrity of the Cinnamons. I wrap them up and down with Aluminium cloth tape (Dewal 407 is best/ideal - if you can get it), then wrap with copper braid, then Aluminium tape again - before adding heat shrink over. It's easy to add a drain. I have three of these for PC > Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-S > EtherREGEN > RedNet D16 AES [>DAC via AES - and I don't play music streamed from the internet]. This does create a challenge for the EtherREGEN which I have seen mentioned once here at AS - it is a light box and heavy cables without good management will insist too brutally on their own way. It's a straightforward matter to mould the cables with a heat gun as heatshrink is applied - or afterwards provided a dressing braid has not yet been fixed. I've even engineered a new bespoke shelf for my EtherREGEN. Added to Christmas, and our UK General Election, the excitement is almost unbearable ;-).

2 hours ago, Ehsu said:

@Dutch Exactly why I asked the question because John Swenson said the purpose of the ER is to " greatly reduce effects from upstream system" so I was wondering wouldnt it be better off to have " less " noise upstream for EtherRegen to deal with? Say ER can reduce 90% of noise from upstream but imagine if your upstream system generate much less noise to begin with.... 

I understand, did not know if you read that post.

And yes, if something is not fully blocked (like EM noise when using fiber optics) the next best thing is attenuation. So, you’re right if it reduces noise by say 60dB it’s still not zero and the outcome is better when there’s less noise to begin with. Of course the question is,mhoe much or how little is audible.

I can’t wait for it to be in everyone’s hands, we’ll probably only then learn how effective it is in several different use cases and setups.

16 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

I wouldn't bother and just get some Blue Jeans Cat 6 or 6a. Blow away the Cinnamon and Melco cables in my system. 

My experience is exactly and unequivocally the reverse. I don't have BJ any longer as the result. What's more, shielding improved the AQs. Very much worth both the exchange and the effort.

3 hours ago, Ehsu said:

A very good question. I have 3 Jitterbugs in upstream devices (NAS, Router, iMac). I assume they will, more or less, do the same as the EtherREGEN. I guess the EtherREGEN will do the final cleaning in my situation. The EtherREGEN will be in the forefront, just before my ultraRendu, feeding my Qutest DAC. In some reviews I have been reading it could be to much of a ‘good thing’. In other words: the sound could be worsening, but that is hard to believe. For instance if you go from 2 to 3 Jitterbugs in your computer.

1 hour ago, Iving said:

My experience is exactly and unequivocally the reverse. I don't have BJ any longer as the result. What's more, shielding improved the AQs. Very much worth both the exchange and the effort.

Sounds good. I have a couple of short lengths of Cinnamon I'll be selling - always sounded thin in my set up, and the recent addition of BJC just right, but each person's need is different. Won't hijack the thread any further. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

39 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

Sounds good. I have a couple of short lengths of Cinnamon I'll be selling - always sounded thin in my set up, and the recent addition of BJC just right, but each person's need is different. Won't hijack the thread any further. 

I don't alter the manuf. product wrt the plugs.

"Thin" - my oh my that was the BJC problem - with "bright" and "banshee". Probably not all the BJC's fault ...

27 minutes ago, Iving said:

To be clear we are talking about Tubelover2 aka rb2013 - I think there is another "Tubelover" here.

Rob/Bob was a great audiophile pioneer/contributor and is greatly missed.

Thanks for the clarification, yes, there is a Tubelover here, different person and I thought he was the one referenced.  But I am also very familiar with Rob (rb2013) and his contributions.  In fact I have a quad of the '75 Reflektor SWGP "Holy Grail" tubes as a result of his reports.  Sorry to hear of this.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

56 minutes ago, Iving said:

To be clear we are talking about Tubelover2 aka rb2013 - I think there is another "Tubelover" here.

Rob/Bob was a great audiophile pioneer/contributor and is greatly missed.

You mean  Rob for usaudiomart forum?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

Since I am currently using a passive medical Ethernet isolator ($90) right before my direct stream dac, should I pull that out of the system once my ER arrives?   The ER will  be installed upstream with about 35 feet of Ethernet cable from the ER in my computer room to the dac, so I’m wondering if the passive isolator with help with any RF, etc that is picked up after the ER. 

I am really hoping that UpTone or any owners don’t send the ER to any of the fake “science”  crowd.   The ER is sure to spark debate and even though UpTone has engaged with them in the past, it’s clearly a waste of resources.  While I’m not drawing any kind of parallel, Holocaust deniers misuse “scientific” testing to support their agenda, as so many groups exhibit bias confirmation.  

Also I wonder if UpTone will ever license a simpler version of their circuitry to other audio companies to use in streamers, etc.  I could see that being much more lucrative than the ER.  

26 minutes ago, emailists said:

Since I am currently using a passive medical Ethernet isolator ($90) right before my direct stream dac, should I pull that out of the system once my ER arrives?   The ER will  be installed upstream with about 35 feet of Ethernet cable from the ER in my computer room to the dac, so I’m wondering if the passive isolator with help with any RF, etc that is picked up after the ER. 

You should try it both ways.  But really, why not put the EtherREGEN near you DAC?  Run that same 35 cable into the EtherREGEN, then a short cable out of it to your DAC.

Thyname.... I’m not naming any names.....

Alex, thanks for the suggestion.  I was hoping to keep the ER in another room with the computer gear (which all has its own AC isolation) but will try it in both locations.

while probably a long shot, it would be amazing to have the ER in the system next weekend.

BTW  I’m going to the NY audio show this weekend.