IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

Quick Start Guide and User Manual? ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

@Superdad does the B-side port blast full power to go a full 328ft och does it sense cable length and adjust power but perhaps that is only done on gigabit network? As I asume most people will try to keep the cable rather short on B-side.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
6 hours ago, wizardofoz said:

does the ER get its own IP address and if so is there any way to update its firmware or is this never going to need any updates or settings applied?

didn’t see any mention of anything in the QSG or UM thus far on the matter.

the er is not a managed switch, so won't get it's own ip address.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
7 hours ago, wizardofoz said:

does the ER get its own IP address and if so is there any way to update its firmware or is this never going to need any updates or settings applied?

As @octaviars said, unmanaged switches don’t generally get assigned their own IP address. But since the Ethernet switch chip we use is capable of being a fully managed/configurable switch (we just did not set it up to be web browser accessible), there can indeed be updates. 

From page 2 of the User Guide:

“If required, the start-up programming and extensive register settings of the EtherREGEN’s processor can be updated by the end-user via a microUSB port located on its circuit board. Downloading a small file from UpTone and copying it to the virtual drive that appears upon attachment of a microUSB cable will easily accomplish this.”

Begs the question: under normal circumstances, does the EtherREGEN get assigned an IP address when it boots up (assuming it’s connected to the local network which has its router running DHCP)?  And if so, can/should an IP address reservation be made for the EtherREGEN by the router?

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

So, under no circumstances will the EtherREGEN have an IP address assigned?  Reason I ask is I have a number of switches that, though they can be managed, I've reset to factory defaults, rendering them as unmanaged.  Yet they do get assigned an IP address when booting up, and connected to the local network,  However, if they are booted, but not connected to the network, they have the ability to assign an IP address to a Ethernet attached computer. 

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

8 minutes ago, stevebythebay said:

So, under no circumstances will the EtherREGEN have an IP address assigned?

Not that I am aware of.  I have never found an EtherREGEN on a network IP address map in my system.  And I have looked.

8 minutes ago, stevebythebay said:

Reason I ask is I have a number of switches that, though they can be managed, I've reset to factory defaults, rendering them as unmanaged.  Yet they do get assigned an IP address when booting up, and connected to the local network,  However, if they are booted, but not connected to the network, they have the ability to assign an IP address to a Ethernet attached computer. 

Are you sure of that?  If the switch is unmanaged and is not set up to be a DHCP router, perhaps the IP address you see your computer get is simply a "self-assigned" one--not from the switch.

1 hour ago, stevebythebay said:

So, under no circumstances will the EtherREGEN have an IP address assigned?  Reason I ask is I have a number of switches that, though they can be managed, I've reset to factory defaults, rendering them as unmanaged.  Yet they do get assigned an IP address when booting up, and connected to the local network,  However, if they are booted, but not connected to the network, they have the ability to assign an IP address to a Ethernet attached computer. 

Even if you have disabled functionality,  it would still be a managed switch and be assigned an ip address. 

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

In the case of my Cisco 2960 what I have seen is the two following scenarios:

a) if the switch is not connected to any network at all, and is powered up, it first seeks to get an IP address.  When that fails (I'm assuming a TCP timeout occurs) it then comes up with a default IP address, and offers DHCP function; so anything plugged into the switch and capable of sending a DHCP request (like a computer) will receive an IP address from the switch;

b) if the switch is wired to a network and is then powered up it will send a request for an IP address from a DHCP server (typically a router in the network) and receive one and take that IP address on.

That's why I was uncertain how the EtherREGEN will behave.  If it never has an IP address that's cool.  Simplifies any sort of network troubleshooting.

Steve Schaffer

Thanks John.  And I'm assuming that from a trouble shooting perspective that, apart from the power supply, the LEDs are the sole means for determining whether all is well with the EtherREGEN.  That is, given no other visibility via apps or other means, right?

Steve Schaffer

1 hour ago, stevebythebay said:

Thanks John.  And I'm assuming that from a trouble shooting perspective that, apart from the power supply, the LEDs are the sole means for determining whether all is well with the EtherREGEN.  That is, given no other visibility via apps or other means, right?

Yes, correct.  There is the one power LED and the LEDs on the RJ45 jack. The chip we are using does not have LEDs for the SFP cage so you can't tell if that is connected or not, other than sending data.

John S.

20 hours ago, Superdad said:

As @octaviars said, unmanaged switches don’t generally get assigned their own IP address.

It was @jcn3 that wrote that :)

I wrote another question that you might have missed @Superdad #1762

"Does the B-side port blast full power to go a full 328ft och does it sense cable length and adjust power but perhaps that is only done on gigabit network? As I asume most people will try to keep the cable rather short on B-side and dont need much power to drive long cables."

Perhaps @JohnSwenson is the person to answer this.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

@octaviars, it appears you may have read the thread below in which power saving features were mentioned by Miska as a good thing for SQ. I’d like to add here that most tuning/optimization guides I’ve read for DAW’s and music servers/streamers suggest to disable power saving features of the NIC. It could as well be a good thing if these features are not enabled in the etherREGEN.

For me it’s almost a ‘pity’ the etherREGEN is unmanaged when it has the feature to be managed (I love to tweak a bit :)) but of course I can understand Uptone Audio’s decision here.

Hi,

long time follower of this thread, first post. 

I’m planning to get an etherregen, but I’m also upgrading my streamer and dac at the same time. Would you say that once I have the etherregen it’s less important to invest in a high end streamer (Auralic, sotm etc)? I listened to a very good and pricey dac and I’m wondering if I can save on the streamer. 

Thanks for all the information you put here.

thomas

4 hours ago, Thmoas said:

Hi,

long time follower of this thread, first post. 

I’m planning to get an etherregen, but I’m also upgrading my streamer and dac at the same time. Would you say that once I have the etherregen it’s less important to invest in a high end streamer (Auralic, sotm etc)? I listened to a very good and pricey dac and I’m wondering if I can save on the streamer. 

Thanks for all the information you put here.

thomas

I would certainly wait until you have the EtherREGEN in your system before making any other changes.  That will tell you a lot about how well the EtherREGEN is doing compared to your existing router/switch.  Then audition anything you plan to install in your system before taking the plunge.  I'd include upstream and downstream devices of all kinds.  Meaning don't discount anything that might generate or pass noise into the EtherREGEN or introduce it after it leaves the A side (poor quality cables that pick up EMI/RFI or other nasties).  And do it all step-wise - one thing at a time.  Give yourself enough time to audition the changes too.  Many devices need to "settle" into place a bit.  Some more than others, though it's hard to predict.  Mostly it's your own ears that need to become accustomed  to the new sonic experience.

Best of luck in your adventures...

Steve Schaffer

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

The DAC-attached component on the downstream side--computer/streamer/renderer endpoint--connected to the 'B' side will matter MORE.   

Thank you Alex, it is very helpful. Even though it means I’ll have to find my way in the jungle of available streamers. And skip the Lampizator dac  I was looking at for now.

And thanks Steve. 

33 minutes ago, Thmoas said:

Thank you Alex, it is very helpful. Even though it means I’ll have to find my way in the jungle of available streamers. And skip the Lampizator dac  I was looking at for now.

And thanks Steve. 

Personally, I looked for (and bought) a DAC, that is also a Roon endpoint with an ethernet input.  In my case, that eliminated the streamer and allowed me to choose/price one piece of gear.  Perhaps that is an option that would work for you as well.  In any case, enjoy your search.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man