IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

14 hours ago, Superdad said:

Sure is! B|

Almost all the EtherREGEN circuit boards for the first run have arrived. In the morning we’ll begin spreading them out and adhering the heat sinks with the custom-mixed thermal compound, then flashing the microprocessors, testing, etc.  Busy weeks ahead. I’ll post pics as we go.

To prepare for the work ahead, I took a relaxing few days away with my dear wife. Some hiking, some meditating, some nice BBQ, and some fine wine and rye. The fall colors were lovely, as was the weather—until our departure this morning, when the temperature dropped, the wind came up, and it began to snow.

97954CAD-8EA5-449B-BAD6-FB9F2CADBDAB.thumb.jpeg.60152be5d1b537a4b28919898536ca4c.jpeg

Looks lovely – which national park is this?

Alex,

if it helps, a bunch of us could drop by and help with a EtherREGEN raising.  You know, work a few hours then hang at your home.  Just a week or so.  

OK, just kidding, and hope that nightmare isn't added to your current one.  

And Tina probably has 155 members of her fan club right now.  Take care.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

... how can you be sure you were among the first 23 buyers? 😛

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

1 hour ago, pl_svn said:

... how can you be sure you were among the first 23 buyers? 😛

because he must have ordered a 50 ohm unit (see alex's post above).

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Thinking of purchasing an EtherRegen, but wondering where to put it for best effect.  My system comprises a server on the second floor of my house, and an endpoint (i7 NUC) on the ground floor feeding my DAC.  Between the two is Wifi.  I have an Eero Pro mesh network with the gateway in the same room as the server and two extenders, one in my kitchen and one in my listening room.

As the Eero extenders have two Ethernet ports, I thought about feeding the EtherRegen from the Eero in the listening room and connecting the other side to the NUC.  I tried this with a Cisco 2960 switch but didn't hear any difference, but I'm interested in hearing everyone's thoughts.

Colin

5 minutes ago, frederick184 said:

Thinking of purchasing an EtherRegen, but wondering where to put it for best effect.  My system comprises a server on the second floor of my house, and an endpoint (i7 NUC) on the ground floor feeding my DAC. 

Hi Colin:

Connect the 'B' side of the EtherREGEN directly to your NUC.  Don't care how or where you feed the 'A' side from. B|

From the User Guide:

"If you are going to hear a difference with an Ethernet cable, it will more likely be with the ‘B’-side cable. This is also a good one to keep short."

@Superdad what is the definition of short in this regard? What would be the maximum length without a compromise to SQ?

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

Maybe someone can enlighten us all about cable lengths. My understanding is that 1.5M is the ideal short length of typically mass produced cables to avoid signal wave reflections (return) affects. Apparently 1M is problematic due to the timing of the wave return.  However, I’ll readily admit this was prevalent in the early days of Ethernet, when transmitting devices were far less mature and had trouble making sense of propagation signal origin. 

I’ve seen this also come up with HDMI in the video realm, though I’m uncertain how such things work with, say USB or other interface designs. 

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

I am one of the lucky ones scheduled to receive my EtherREGEN in November. I know there are still a couple of weeks left, but I wanted to make sure I am good to go then, so hopefully @Superdad and others can help:

1 - I have a LPS-1.2 already, that I plan to use with EtherREGEN. I remember reading something a long time ago here that I would need to use the 12v setting on LPS-1.2. Is this correct? I know it can also go down to 7v

2 - I am using an opticalModule upstream to "feed" the EtherREGEN via optical. I know it's probably not necessary, but I already have it. So I need to buy a SFP module for EtherREGEN. The Uptone site says "gigabit, either SX multi-mode, LX multi-mode, or LX single-mode", which makes it even more confusing. Any way you can post a link (or two) from Amazon on these modules that are compatible with EtherREGEN?

Thanks!

21 minutes ago, stevebythebay said:

Maybe someone can enlighten us all about cable lengths. My understanding is that 1.5M is the ideal short length of typically mass produced cables to avoid signal wave reflections (return) affects. Apparently 1M is problematic due to the timing of the wave return.  However, I’ll readily admit this was prevalent in the early days of Ethernet, when transmitting devices were far less mature and had trouble making sense of propagation signal origin. 

I’ve seen this also come up with HDMI in the video realm, though I’m uncertain how such things work with, say USB or other interface designs. 

Did you read John S's post right above yours? Net, net he said to not worry about it. 

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
27 minutes ago, stevebythebay said:

That theory--that I recalled vaguely was debunked--applied strictly to coax cables.

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

22 minutes ago, thyname said:

1 - I have a LPS-1.2 already, that I plan to use with EtherREGEN. I remember reading something a long time ago here that I would need to use the 12v setting on LPS-1.2. Is this correct? I know it can also go down to 7v.

Lowest current draw by the EtherREGEN will be with 12V input.  An LPS-1.2 can power an EtherREGEN when set to 9V or 12V (but not 7V as current draw gets too high), but please use 12V setting.

And because the UltraCap LPS-1.2 is a "floating" supply, you may want to use the Ground screw of the EtherREGEN if you have multiple other copper network attachments on the 'A' side. This is well-covered in the User Guide.

If the only 'A'-side connection you are making is via the optical SFP cage, then you do not need to use the Ground screw.

22 minutes ago, thyname said:

2 - I am using an opticalModule upstream to "feed" the EtherREGEN via optical. I know it's probably not necessary, but I already have it. So I need to buy a SFP module for EtherREGEN. The Uptone site says "gigabit, either SX multi-mode, LX multi-mode, or LX single-mode", which makes it even more confusing. Any way you can post a link (or two) from Amazon on these modules that are compatible with EtherREGEN?

Sure. Here are the cheap ones that I have been using--for experimentation between my Cisco Catalyst and the EtherREGEN, and now at our production Q.C. station to confirm SFP port function of each unit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U77VPX2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1   

Here is the TP-Link version which Sonore sells for $20, but which for some reason is $57 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/TL-SM311LM-Multi-mode-MiniGBIC-interface-distance/dp/B003CFATYM/

The above are for use with Multi-mode fiber.  If you have single mode fiber cable then here is the TP-Link for that:

https://www.amazon.com/TL-SM311LM-Multi-mode-MiniGBIC-interface-distance/dp/B003CFATYW/ (yes, I know that the URL text says Multi-mode, but the 'W' at the end brings up the Single-mode version).

The important thing is that the modules used at each end be the same type--but they do not have to be the same brand.

28 minutes ago, Superdad said:

And because the UltraCap LPS-1.2 is a "floating" supply, you may want to use the Ground screw of the EtherREGEN if you have multiple other copper network attachments on the 'A' side. This is well-covered in the User Guide.

If the only 'A'-side connection you are making is via the optical SFP cage, then you do not need to use the Ground screw.

Thank you so much @Superdad ! much appreciated.

I am only using the A-side with optical from opticalModule (the B-side will feed my audio), so I should be OK with no ground wire / screw. Thanks for clarifying.

I will go ahead and order an SFP optical transceiver module from Sonore. 

On 9/29/2019 at 3:31 AM, octaviars said:

If you are going to connect a external clock that "shoud outperform in theory" the internal clock you most certanly will have to use good quality cable with crimped (soldering is not a good way of doing BNC connections) BNC connectors so the cable and contact dont affect the 10MHz signal

I just ordered this cable for this purpose:

https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/e07.html

it's cheap enough for me to experiment and try clocking the EtherREGEN with my MSB Discrete DAC world clock output