Superdad

EtherREGEN: The long development and active launch discussion thread.

Rate this topic

Hi Alex, I am confused with ground arrangement after seeing all these questions and answers. Signal ground is a subject I am not very familiar with. I have a dual output Keces PS so it has floating ground according to your previous comment a while ago. I am planning to power both home network switch and ER by that PS and both go into the A side. Shall I use the ground pin on the ER? And where should I connect that ground cable at the other end? To the pre-amp or the wall socket? Usually with turntable, you connect the ground to preamp, right? Same case with ER? However, I use Naim gears and their signal ground all goes to the source which is their streamer in my case. And in my case, I intend to feed Naim streamer from the B side of ER. But somehow I think this is not what you wanted?

Sorry if I asked a stupid question here :-)

59 minutes ago, Ehsu said:

Hi Alex, I am confused with ground arrangement after seeing all these questions and answers.

Sorry for the confusion.  I'll try (and fail I'm sure) to make it simpler. O.o

Signal ground is a subject I am not very familiar with. I have a dual output Keces PS so it has floating ground according to your previous comment a while ago.

There is the clue in bold.  If the output "grounds" (in quotes because they are not earth grounds if "floated' right; that's why I always prefer to state -VE/zero-volt--i.e. the wire of the PS that is not the +DC) are in fact "floated"--and if your multi-rail LPS has separate transformer secondaries and diode bridges and claims such then they are--then it may be desirable to use the Ground screw of the EtherREGEN.

I am planning to power both home network switch and ER by that PS and both go into the A side.

Okay, now you are confusing me but no matter. :P You can power both your regular network switch and the EtherREGEN with the rails of your Keces, no problem. And you should feed an 'A-side EtherREGEN port with the network connection from your switch (like all switches, EtherREGEN has to have some path back to a router handing out IP addresses; otherwise other devices connected won't be on your network!).  But you say "both go into the A side."  Huh?  EtherREGEN can not feed itself. Oh, maybe you are not talking about network connection but about the fact that powering the EtherREGEN is powering the 'A' side (well it powers the 'B' side to but that is fully isolated). 

Shall I use the ground pin on the ER? And where should I connect that ground cable at the other end? To the pre-amp or the wall socket?

Any good and safe earth ground. For a lot of components their chassis are properly earthed--via a wire direct from the ground pin of the IEC inlet to the chassis. So either is okay.  If in doubt, you can check with a continuity meter.

Usually with turntable, you connect the ground to preamp, right? Same case with ER? However, I use Naim gears and their signal ground all goes to the source which is their streamer in my case.

Sorry, I have no idea how Naim gear works in this regard. But I do know that Naim has had a LOT of odd and very non-standard ideas over the years! x-D

And in my case, I intend to feed Naim streamer from the B side of ER. But somehow I think this is not what you wanted?

On the contrary: If your Naim streamer is the box connected to your DAC, then the 'B' side port--on the other side of our ADIM™ moat--is the ideal place to connect it. :)

With very few exceptions, we will always advise that the DAC-attached streamer/renderer endpoint (even if it is just a regular computer) be connected by itself to the 'B'-side port.

Hi Alex; Thanks for your quick reply. And sorry for my typo. Yes, my dual output linear PS powers both the ER and the home network switch that goes into the A side. 

30 minutes ago, Superdad said:

On the contrary: If your Naim streamer is the box connected to your DAC, then the 'B' side port--on the other side of our ADIM™ moat--is the ideal place to connect it. :)

The point of the question is ground. In a Naim system, all Naim components share one ground at " source " ie, my streamer. So if I connect the ER ground screw to Naim preamp then it means that I will bridge the A side to the B side through Naim preamp? Doesnt it defeat the purpose of all the isolation work you have done?

Cheers

Ehsu, by all means play around with the connections as advised by Superdad. For simplicity, power the network switch with the original supply, and just leave ER powered by the Keces. No performance issues, and  you won’t have to play around with grounding.

@k-man thanks for the advise but the whole reason for getting a multi output linear ps is because I ran out of wall socket and do not want noisy switch mode near my system. I ran 3 dedicated power spurs into my music room so there is no noisy electronics in the chain. 

If you require more network devices connected in your music room than the etherREGEN allows, then I hope you find out your best compromise (E.g. additional ground box etc). If it’s just only your audio server, linear PS, etherREGEN and Naim in your dedicated music room, then better that network switch is plugged another place, and ADIM will handle the rest.

Sorry I can’t say more, since others will prefer to read more ER related news/updates.. :/

12 hours ago, Ehsu said:

Hi Alex; Thanks for your quick reply. And sorry for my typo. Yes, my dual output linear PS powers both the ER and the home network switch that goes into the A side. 

The point of the question is ground. In a Naim system, all Naim components share one ground at " source " ie, my streamer. So if I connect the ER ground screw to Naim preamp then it means that I will bridge the A side to the B side through Naim preamp? Doesnt it defeat the purpose of all the isolation work you have done?

Cheers

You might want to check over on the Naim forum about this. I know this applied to their cd players of yore, but not sure about their streamers. You can start here:

https://community.naimaudio.com/t/uniti-atom-grounding-switch/1491

SERVER CLOSET:NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK and OWC external 2.5" HD (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule>fiber (HDPLEX 100). Supra MD-06 power strip. {Office Circuit}

LIVING ROOM:Sonore opticalModule (LPS-1.2) {TV circuit} >Ghent Audio JSSG Cat 6a cable>Sonore microRendu 1.4> (Sonore UltraRendu>Ghent Neotech 7N solid JSSG DC cable) {20amp dedicated circuit) Uptone USPCB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 110 {both dedicated 20amp circuit}>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics.

OFFICE:TP Link MC110 optical bridge (iFi's - different office circuits)>Naim Unitiqute V1>NACA5>KEF Ls50’ (near field post mounted - sound amazing - one of the few  joys of working from the home basement). Cables: AQ Cinnamon RJ45, Meico RJ45, basic cat6, Naim stock AC cables with Wattgate or HifiKing Plugs.