IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

Industry multipliers are around 6 with traditional retail channels as far as I know. 3 going direct. But 2 really is impressive!

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

20 hours ago, Superdad said:

I know. I must be a fool. x-D

Of course the above does not include the special-ordered Crystek CCHD-575 XO, the case, the 3 heatsinks, the custom-mixed thermal interface silicone, the included SMPS, $1 stainless steel grounding thumb-screw, flash/test/assembly labor, John's per unit royalty, and the average $25 per PayPal/credit card fees we absorb and don't charge our customers. Not counting the labor portion, all that other stuff brings total cost up to about $380 per EtherREGEN. 

So if we stay somewhat small, with not too many employees, I can make a decent living (and put something aside for a "someday" retirement). But not going to become a megalith organization with a whole Sales & Marketing staff. Personal choice.

Make no mistake though:

John and I have some VERY ambitious projects/products planned out for the next several years. (Don't ask; I won't tell.) Each of these will draw heavily on the cash capital that builds up from the prior successes. Thus what people may not realize is that their EtherREGEN purchases this year will fuel the R&D and production of more very cool and innovative UpTone products for the coming years. B|

"NO ME-TOO ENGINEERING" is our motto!

For consideration: an Uptone Audio bespoke digital word clock with say, two 75 ohm outputs, so we can use it for our EtherREGENs and network bridges? 😜

Digital: Mac Mini/Roon Core/Optical Module->long run of fiber->EtherREGEN->SOtM UltraNeo->Schiit Gumby DAC. Shunyata Sigma Ethernet/Alpha USB Amplification: First Sound Presence Deluxe 4.0 preamp, LP70S amp Speakers: Harbeth 30.2/Power/Cables: Shunyata Everest 8000, Shunyata Sigma XC and NR, Alpha XC and NR, & Venom 14 Digital PCs, Alpha V2 ICs and SPs.  

25 minutes ago, stevebythebay said:

I don't know about others on this forum, but sometimes I feel that with Uptone I'm part of a "Kickstarter" movement 😀 without any downsides (I've been burned by one Indiegogo campaign or two).  Helping Alex and John lead the way to great, new, bleeding edge tech solutions.

You don't even want to know what it was like dealing with GNAR, Inc. to receive the Kickstarter-funded GNARBOX 2.0 Wifi-enabled ruggedized hard drive that I won in a contest in October last year, Steve. They shipped...9.5 months after the originally promised date.

Alex & John managed expectations in a much more professional and experienced manner, only publicly releasing a launch date when he could provide an accurate prediction with minimal variance. 

That's the difference between two estblished professionals with >30 years of hard-won industry & business experience vs. a very immature startup that only released 1 product before. 

Okay, back on topic. 

Digital: Mac Mini/Roon Core/Optical Module->long run of fiber->EtherREGEN->SOtM UltraNeo->Schiit Gumby DAC. Shunyata Sigma Ethernet/Alpha USB Amplification: First Sound Presence Deluxe 4.0 preamp, LP70S amp Speakers: Harbeth 30.2/Power/Cables: Shunyata Everest 8000, Shunyata Sigma XC and NR, Alpha XC and NR, & Venom 14 Digital PCs, Alpha V2 ICs and SPs.  

On 10/14/2019 at 6:22 PM, Puma Cat said:

Its going to sound better. It was designed from the ground up by an engineer with 30+ years of industry experience to do this.  The AQ-Vox switch is a modification of an existing IT-based product, a D-link switch. 

And the EtherREGEN will cost ~30% less. 

I will second this, from what I have seen of the internal mods by Aqvox to the switch I would not touch it with a barge pole... For less money you get an Galvanicly isolated switch with the clocks done properly.... I know which I would recommend, the Uptone (and I'm a true heretic😁 and my view is based on technical appearance alone)  it really is a no brainer...

1 hour ago, Jørgen Skadhauge said:

I wonder if it will be possible to use the new etherREGEN in a Merging Ravenna system, AES67 standard?

I have ordered a  MERGING ANUBIS DAC and will use AUDIRVANA as player.

Hi Jørgen:

Well despite most Ravenna and AES67 specs calling for Gigabit ports, if one only running 2 channels (even at high sample rates) in a simple system, our 100Mbps limitation on the EtherREGEN's 'B'-side port should not be an issue.  I know that most Dante devices will work with 100Mbps.  Still, we can not know for sure with regards your Anubis until you try it.

The other requirement that Merging and the AES67 consortium usually puts forth is that the switch be a fully managed unit.  The Ethernet switch chip in the EtherREGEN is a full-blown managed switch part (supporting all the latest IEEE 802.3xx standards), but we did not enable web-browser access for user adjustment of parameters.  It is just plug-and-play.  

If it ever came to it and users discovered a real need for us to turn on QoS for some ports, the EtherREGEN has an internally mounted microUSB port designed for very easy loading of revised firmware (by users in the field without having to ship back to us). We could change some configuration registers for the switch to enable other features.

Alex,  giving us some peaks into your world is informative and appreciated. 

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

@Superdad

Sorry if Ive missed it but what is the trigger point for you shipping the first units out?

Not that it affects me, but the whole process is fascinating.

That is, will you wait until all of the first batch are built before shipping any?

Or if 50 are ready ship those and ship another batch a few days later?

What are the hurdles to shipping any right now?

User manuals? Screws? Labor availability? Code?

8 hours ago, HumanMedia said:

What are the hurdles to shipping any right now

The reason I smiled is because this gave me an image of a couple hundred EtherREGEN customers (I’m one) thinking “Yes! What are the hurdles to shipping my unit *right now*?!”  🙂

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

16 hours ago, Superdad said:

Busy days, but soon to get MUCH busier!

Found enough extra correct screws from UltraCap stock for my assistant to assemble the fronts of about 50 EtherREGEN cases.  The rest of the screws (along with 250 overdue UltraCap cases so we can clear back-orders next week) arrive tomorrow. 

Here are some pics, including a newly assembled dozen of JS-2s waiting for me to test/heat-soak, and the flash and test station set up for EtherREGEN production.

[And for those who have not seen our shop photos before: Yes, that is ping-pong table.  It is our largest and most productive work surface; I designed the entire work-flow of the space around it. Once in a while we clear it off, lift off the protective boards, and play a game or two. Mostly during the holidays when the kids come home.]

I'm about halfway done writing the User Guide, and given that it is only Wednesday I feel pretty darn good about how this week has gone (though it feels like it should be Friday x-D).

1810089399_P1090290copy.JPG.5211cfdae36ec22bae1a6005012eaf3f.JPG

20091067_P1090293copy.JPG.a6945c3d36cfbc0d6bddeee3dc8130e4.JPG

1050137790_P1090288copy.JPG.cfdd69437847ebc3bb90a8bf2b8e86d7.JPG

Love the use of the ping-pong table! It reminds me of the LEAN manufacturing cells we used at work for oligonucleotide production. "Flow" is good...

11 hours ago, Superdad said:

I am big into efficiency and assembly line procedues.  Just due to the various steps: Unpacking and laying out boards and attaching heat sinks, flashing with code both ‘A’ and ‘B’ side microprocessors, testing each board, assembling cases and inserting board, wrapping, kitting, producing shipping labels and commercial invoices (for overseas shipments), making sure special order Instructions are minded, etc.—and due to space constraints, it really is more practical to do all this working towards a couple of consecutive big shipping days.

It’s fun to drive up to the back of the post office and wheel their large carts over to load... Did this a lot in the past with REGEN and UltraCap launches.9_9

Just waiting for the first 245 boards to arrive on about the 29th.

The programming/test station is all set up and verified.  My assistant has cleared her schedule and commited to the hours.  The custom-mixed specialty thermal interface adhesive for the heat sinks arrives late next week.  Honestly, short of something horrible like the boards not working (not likely since they are virtually the same as what passed the beta cycle with flying colorrs), there really is nothing keeping us from hitting our targets.  

Actually, we will be attempting to ship out 85 units to our dealers about one week ahead of the promised November 15th direct-sale first batch date.  Focus, focus, focus... :D

Cool. Sounds like you're doing some heijunka (leveling) in a LEAN process. All good. 

4 hours ago, Jud said:

The reason I smiled is because this gave me an image of a couple hundred EtherREGEN customers (I’m one) thinking “Yes! What are the hurdles to shipping my unit *right now*?!”  🙂

LOL. Near as I can tell, there aren't any hurdles...Alex is has got his mfg. process all mapped out to create flow and maximize the value-stream. 

40 minutes ago, Indydan said:

Silly question maybe, but do we get a tracking number when the order ships? The EtherRegen is the first Uptone product I have ordered. :D

Of course! :)

Did you receive the order acknowledgment e-mail shortly after you placed your order?  Because the same system will send the shipment tracking notice to the same e-mail address. If you did not receive an acknowledgment e-mail then please check your SPAM filter.  

And you can send us a message with a correct or different e-mail address so that the shipping notice goes there.

Thanks. 

User Guide p.9, end of par 1 - missing a line of text ...

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

20 hours ago, PYP said:

saw a few typos and will look further tomorrow (and make a list with page numbers, etc.)

19 hours ago, Nenon said:

Good job on the manual. PM with some comments sent! 

17 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

User Guide p.9, end of par 1 - missing a line of text ...

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  I have made fixes and incorporated all your suggestions. You gents all have quick eyes and keen insights. :D

New version of the User Guide is linked above and here.

Good night all.

4 hours ago, dminches said:

The diagram in the user guide shows the server and NAS connected to the main, generic switch and that switch connected to one of the “A’ ports.  Is there any advantage to connecting the server and NAS directly to the “A” ports?

"A typical user will attach a single Ethernet cable from their main network router or switch to any of these ‘A’-side ports—as illustrated on the opposite page. This leaves open three additional RJ45 copper ports (and the SFP cage) on the ‘A’ side. The choice to connect any server, NAS (network attached storage), or other devices to these ports—or to leave that equipment attached to your main upstream switch/router—is mostly a matter of convenience and effects on sonic performance are likely to be small."

;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones