IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

5 hours ago, sicher said:

Hello,

every now and then I am tempted to upgrade my naim system. (-:

Some days ago my dealer recommended the AQ-Switch SE to me. Looking for more information I found the EtherREGEN which looks very promising and appealing to me. There’s much I like about it - from the philosophy behind it to the open discussion about its design and the obvious know how and experience of the developers. 

So I wonder if someone could please summarise the differences between those two.

Actually I am looking for arguments to wait for the EtherREGEN instead of going for the AQ-Switch SE right now. 😉

Thanks a lot,

Michael 

Hi Michael @sicher, I can give you some feedback once I receive my ER as I have a Naim rig including ND555 but you will have to wait until Jan next year because my order is in the second batch unfortunately. I am keen to hear if ER improves on PRaT and music engagement. That is " IF " you can wait that long :-). My experience tells me network switch before my ND555 affect the sound so much that I got much more dynamic, open and faster sound after I upgraded its PS. The improvement was so big that shocked me and my Naim dealer. In short, I am pretty sure UpTone ER will improve the sound further compared to my existing non-audiophile Netgear + LPS. But the question is, which area or direction will it take me to? Hope its not tube kind of sound....

Cheers

Eddie

17 hours ago, Superdad said:

Hi Michael:

I see that this is your first post here at Audiophile Style.  WELCOME!

Thank you for your interest in our new switch.  On the web page for EtherREGEN I went to considerable lengths to explain and illustrate the many technical aspects of the design, most all of which set our product apart from the competitors. 

As far as I know, AQVOX is just a clock (and maybe PS) upgrade of a D-Link switch—and they really do not show or tell you anything about the actual topology as we do.  Ours is designed from-the-ground-up, addressing the true issues of why clocking and isolation matter with packet-data interfaces by providing active differential isolation.

EtherREGEN is a first and only in the world to do this. This is a serious all-new engineering approach.

Of course hundreds of users will compare and decide once we begin shipping hundreds of units in just a few weeks. B|

Cheers,

--Alex

Hi Alex,

thanks a lot for your kind reply! I really appreciate you being open to let us know the technical aspects of the design.

To make it short: You have a new order. 😁

All the best and thank you very much for your great efforts!

Thank you (know how busy you are).  I have a retired friend like that.  He does pro bono work all the time for folks who cannot afford the proper legal representation and that doesn't include his non-paid Board work.  These kinds of people make the world work.  They lead by example and always give of themselves.  But....back to audio stuff.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

@sicher I've told Alex directly that when Uptone's first Regen made my humble office system (a Denon all-in-one) take on Naim-like qualities in PRaT, and add bass like I had never heard from digital, I was relieved I didn't need to pony up for a Naim Supernait like I was originally planning! Instead, I upgraded my Regen to an ISO Regen and my LPS-1 to a 1.2. (Naim need not worry–I'm still thinking about a Supernait now that the 3 is out.)

With consumer and audiophile gear alike, cleaning up digital signal and power together is likely to yield strong improvements, and this is what Uptone delivers at a enormously agreeable price. Happy listening!

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

I know it will take some time till my EtherREGEN will arrive but I want to be fully prepared! 😁

So two questions:

Which power cable do I need (for Austria)? Which plug goes into the PS? Is it one on the photos attached? 2 or 3 pins?

I think I read somewhere here that no fancy LAN cable is necessary. Am I right? I just thought about using my MeiCord opal. Or should I get one of the (hyped) audioquest cables? 😉

Thanks,

Michael

Concerning ventilation, would it work to place the ER under a shelf which is open on all sides and is about 2" above the hard surface floor (that is, about 1" clearance above for the ER and open on the sides)?  Thanks.

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

On 10/12/2019 at 11:06 AM, sicher said:

Hello,

every now and then I am tempted to upgrade my naim system. (-:

Some days ago my dealer recommended the AQ-Switch SE to me. Looking for more information I found the EtherREGEN which looks very promising and appealing to me. There’s much I like about it - from the philosophy behind it to the open discussion about its design and the obvious know how and experience of the developers. 

So I wonder if someone could please summarise the differences between those two.

Actually I am looking for arguments to wait for the EtherREGEN instead of going for the AQ-Switch SE right now. 😉

Thanks a lot,

Michael 

Its going to sound better. It was designed from the ground up by an engineer with 30+ years of industry experience to do this.  The AQ-Vox switch is a modification of an existing IT-based product, a D-link switch. 

And the EtherREGEN will cost ~30% less. 

Digital: Mac Mini/Roon Core/Optical Module->long run of fiber->EtherREGEN->SOtM UltraNeo->Schiit Gumby DAC. Shunyata Sigma Ethernet/Alpha USB Amplification: First Sound Presence Deluxe 4.0 preamp, LP70S amp Speakers: Harbeth 30.2/Power/Cables: Shunyata Everest 8000, Shunyata Sigma XC and NR, Alpha XC and NR, & Venom 14 Digital PCs, Alpha V2 ICs and SPs.  

The EtherREGEN, like all alternative switches, does not live in some sort of vacuum.  All Ethernet cables move bits, but are potentially affected and effect what gets delivered to the switch and beyond. 

The EtherRegen's design is to mitigate known problems that other switches fail to address.  But the resulting transfer of "music" is only as good as all the links in the chain. 

Poorly designed and executed cables can generate signal distortion (phase issues from impedance irregularities).  That's beyond the common mode noise suppression which the EtherREGEN handles through the painstaking design and execution that John's developed.

The great thing about the EtherREGEN is the degree of isolation among all the ports and especially across the moat.  And minimizing leakage and clock phase noise will certainly go far. 

Yet getting the bits in and our of the switch without inducing any corruption, epecially following the switch matters.

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

I guess it's nail-biting for all of us pending "listening impressions".

With hundreds of EtherREGENs in the pipeline, there will be just as many variations in equipment permutations from which SQ effects will be reported.

Inevitably, cable alternatives will form part of that rich informational tapestry. To exclude cables from EtherREGEN experiences would be preposterous (literally - since EtherREGEN requires at least two).

I, for one, will be trying out a few combinations. I've already shielded the hell out of a couple of .75m AQ Cinnamons (with a drain option) in anticipation. I'll be trying a cheapo in their stead by way of A-B. If I hear an improvement either way then there *is* one. I need no narrower (or more theoretical) empiricism.

Even the most privileged amongst us cannot explore all possibilities. We are limited by time if nothing else! Seasoned and not-so-seasoned audiophiles, including myself, will be reading with glee - wondering what bang-for-dollar improvements we could engineer in our own systems based on the experiences of *others* which - in the scientific sense - we can extrapolate with only limited justification.

This isn't religion. No-one has to be right about anything. No-one *is* right about anything.

I do hope the EtherREGEN is as resounding a success as we all hope.

4 hours ago, Superdad said:

As promised. Arguments about ABX and cables gone, along with a few other random OT posts. It was a fun diversion while it lasted. B|

I very much appreciate the great job you do at keeping us on point here.  

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

2 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

I very much appreciate the great job you do at keeping us on point here.  

Well doing that is much less stressful/nerve-wracking than the days I just spent making $147K in pre-paid parts buys for the second and third production runs--before the first shipment of boards even arrives. :ph34r:

On top of that, the high-limit credit card I use as a rotating bank line just got hacked--with some stupid $13 charges at a Walgreens pharmacy in Texas--so Chase is issuing and over-nighting a new card.

Plus the our case manufacturer included the wrong size and color of screws in the shipment of EtherREGEN cases.  10,000 of them when we only need 1,000 to do the first 250 cases! >:(

IMG_2990.JPG.c4b50ca8dbeacda4da57e1190ada4fee.JPG  

But I view this as all minor "pre-disastering." Just means that the really important stuff is going to go smoothly.  :D

Just checking in, have I missed anything today?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

Alex,

Concerning ventilation, would it work to place the ER under a shelf which is open on all sides and is about 2" above the hard surface floor (that is, about 1" clearance above for the ER and open on the sides)?  Thanks.

I don't know any other designer of audio components that would disclose that level of detail.  

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's