IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

2 hours ago, Matias said:

Using B side input and A side optic output exclusively makes the $640 EtherREGEN do the same function as the $250 opticalModule though...

Same function, sure, but most likely different results.  Also no different than going A side input and B side output, as stated numerous times in this thread.

3 hours ago, matthias said:

Yes, from the Uptone HP:

"Use of optical into—or out of—EtherREGEN is not required to obtain best performance. The whole point of all the isolation and re-clocking techniques we are using (in dual domains) is to make most all of the upstream stuff not matter. Other than the complete galvanic isolation that optical offers going into the EtherREGEN (which we duplicate going across the moat), there is no advantage to running optical into it.

If you happen to have a router with an optical port and have already run many feet of optical cable to your music system rack, then sure, use the optical port of the EtherREGEN.  But don't go out of your way to run optical if you do not already have it. And of course for the few people who have an endpoint with optical input (the excellent Sonore opticalRendu comes to mind), one can “turn around” the EtherREGEN and feed that DAC-connected endpoint from the optical cage."

Matt

Agree, thanks!

On 10/10/2019 at 8:18 AM, vortecjr said:

I agree with you. However, the silly thread will say you need two ERs in series each with external reference clocks in order to get good sound. Also, for good measure the silly thread will say you need two linear power supplies that you have to wait over a year to get or it just won't sound quite right. I'm just saying... 

There's very little discussion of Sonore products on the silly thread.  People need to actually try things out themselves to decide what makes a positive difference in their system.  Of course, you can choose to just believe vendor fairytales instead.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

6 hours ago, Matias said:

Using B side input and A side optic output exclusively makes the $640 EtherREGEN do the same function as the $250 opticalModule though...

Function the same. Performance very different. ($70+ --our cost--of differential isolators, flip-flops, clock-buffers, and other chips will do that.)

But let's wait for everyone to get their EtherREGENs...:D

Well, my intended use of an EtherRegen & UltraRendu is different, as the UltraRendu running SonoreUPnP Bridge, will be connected to ‘A’ ports, along with feed from NUC/Rock Roon Server & NAS, with the ‘B’ port going to my Naim NDS network player.

Yes, would be different if the UltraRendu was the USB output to a DAC path & not part of the TCP/IP path to a unit with a Ethernet input, then a Burr-Brown PCM1704U based 'sign-magnitude' digital converter stage with an analogue stage on a brass isolation platform.

Simon.

5 hours ago, incus said:

This is exactly what I plan to do with the two eRegens I ordered so I will report back if there is any difference vs. one vs. no eRegen.  I also plan to test various power supplies - linears, ultracap, battery, wall-wart . As well as SOtM ethernet cables vs. generic Cat6 vs. Aqvox. (And yes I do have different optical cages and cables to compare!) I will do these tests, then I pass judgement. I believe that is the scientific method...

It's a lot of work to change only one thing at a time with all those variables. You will more likely than not have to make different tests depending on what you accomplish. Also, as soon as you introduce your opinion into the mix the scientific method goes out the door because others can't repeat the test to verify your results. It really just comes down to what you prefer.  

46 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

It's a lot of work to change only one thing at a time with all those variables. You will more likely than not have to make different tests depending on what you accomplish. Also, as soon as you introduce your opinion into the mix the scientific method goes out the door because others can't repeat the test to verify your results. It really just comes down to what you prefer.  

What you are calling work, I call fun! This is the sh*t I live for in this hobby.  And if ears are opinions, then like a**holes we all have them.  Don't see how they can ever be removed from any of the testing we do.  No ears, no music.  But that's another discussion for another day (hopefully never, actually).  Really looking forward to the eRegen.  I have no idea what to expect as I have spent a lot of FUN time arriving where I am with my system and I am VERY curious to see what changes, if any, it brings. Thanks Alex and John for bringing some excitement to the game!

1 hour ago, simon_pepper said:

Well, my intended use of an EtherRegen & UltraRendu is different, as the UltraRendu running SonoreUPnP Bridge, will be connected to ‘A’ ports, along with feed from NUC/Rock Roon Server & NAS, with the ‘B’ port going to my Naim NDS network player.

Yes, would be different if the UltraRendu was the USB output to a DAC path & not part of the TCP/IP path to a unit with a Ethernet input, then a Burr-Brown PCM1704U based 'sign-magnitude' digital converter stage with an analogue stage on a brass isolation platform.

Simon.

Here you go

1780829122_ScreenShot2019-10-11at6_32_19PM.png.eb4cef9169f120acf36afd0e55dcbafa.png

16 minutes ago, austinpop said:

A bit silly, ya think? 9_9

I'm not addressing you directly, but no one should fret too much. 30 day money-back allows one to test and validate the product"s efficacy with only the shipping cost at stake. 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

1 hour ago, Foggie said:

Ummm, well I will add that optical has a lot going for it, especially with its inherent isolation and wouldn't be too quick to discount it.  Additionally its a hell of a lot easier to route, manage and its not expensive. 

There is a difference between optical and ethernet sound-wise IME and really comes down to preference / system specific.  I'll take optical, which is what I ran to listening room.

Fully agree on all points. Optical is not only inexpensive, its downright cheap, as well as robust and a piece of cake to route as its thin, light and flexible. Its also has very low insertion loss, and is very quiet, immune to RFI & EMI, and provides galvanic isolation and will not pass leakage currents. 

It also sounds really good. 

Digital: Mac Mini/Roon Core/Optical Module->long run of fiber->EtherREGEN->SOtM UltraNeo->Schiit Gumby DAC. Shunyata Sigma Ethernet/Alpha USB Amplification: First Sound Presence Deluxe 4.0 preamp, LP70S amp Speakers: Harbeth 30.2/Power/Cables: Shunyata Everest 8000, Shunyata Sigma XC and NR, Alpha XC and NR, & Venom 14 Digital PCs, Alpha V2 ICs and SPs.  

But why not - the UltraCap products work well (I have a LPS 1 powering a UltraRendu) and are well supported.

Customers report good things for the LPS 1.2, the ISOregen and JS2 products.

John’s designs in the Rendu range, Optical modules are also well received and work well.

We have followed the design parameters and reasoning in this switch.

We also have read that use of a quality switch makes improvements to a streamed audio path - there are many reports of how the CISCO Catalyst 8-port switch performs, and that is just a general purpose enterprise class switch - now apply focused design and good engineering practices on the problem and the results have the potential of being well worth it.

Looking forward to this step of system improvements.

I'm writing this to promote clarity for prospective customers.  I know many of us on this forum like to dive into the weeds, but I'm an old sales/marketing guy so....

You've listed the two goals that the EtherREGEN is designed to dramatically decrease: leakage and clock-phase noise.  From the Uptone web page (sales) and other bits I've read on the forum I think I understand the clock-phase noise issue, and that this will be handled by the "moat", but I don't see much about the leakage issue. 

I think I recall the leakage issue has to do with all the upstream power related high and low source impedance leakage from all digital source devices plugged into the switch, and across all the A side ports as well.  A bit more on that would be nice on the sales page.

And it might be worthwhile to also include the bits about EMI/RFI shielding that are also being featured in the switch.  I think this was alluded to some time ago on the forum.

Maybe you can beef up the description on the Uptone web page for the EtherREGEN.  I suspect many of us on the forum, and others who will come to that sales page to understand why they should be considering using the EtherREGEN vs. other options, both targeted for general use as well as the audio realm, could use more information, and a clear argument as to just how these elements actually surface themselves in the playback of our music system -- what are the notable symptoms? 

Will it result in less "noise" in the system, greater "clarity", a lower "noise floor", more space around instruments/singers, greater width/depth of musical space, etc?  We all know you're not in the business of over hyping any of your products, but I certainly want to see this as a huge success.  And getting it into the hands of appropriate reviewers is important as networking of musical bits is taking over physical media as a source.

No deep dive needed on how the sausage is made, just what the problems are, that they're being addressed, and the results to be expected when using the EtherREGEN.  As you state on the initial description on the page "producing surprising audible sonic improvements in fine music systems."

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

Hello,

every now and then I am tempted to upgrade my naim system. (-:

Some days ago my dealer recommended the AQ-Switch SE to me. Looking for more information I found the EtherREGEN which looks very promising and appealing to me. There’s much I like about it - from the philosophy behind it to the open discussion about its design and the obvious know how and experience of the developers. 

So I wonder if someone could please summarise the differences between those two.

Actually I am looking for arguments to wait for the EtherREGEN instead of going for the AQ-Switch SE right now. 😉

Thanks a lot,

Michael