IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

8 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Guess we just dance to our own beat...B|

And that is working for you (and us).  :)

Original thinking applied not only to design but also marketing.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

5 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Here is a typical post that appears--oddly from another small manufacturer--over on a "science-based" forum, in a thread devoted to attacking the whole concept of the EtherREGEN, or anything related to improvements in this realm

That, I guess, same small manufacturer (who is now on my “never buy anything from”-list :D) is writing the same rubbish on the AU/NZ edition of the Stereonet Forum.. :(

4 hours ago, Superdad said:

I know this may seem odd, but despite several of our beta testers being eager to share their extremely positive EtherREGEN experiences (all but one ordered a production unit, and the last fellow is waiting for some unrelated reason), I have asked that they not say anything just yet.

We want everyone to discover and share the wonders of the product at near the same time.  I think it will be more useful and fun to hear about EtherREGEN in a wide range of systems. :)

Similarly, just yesterday we received two major formal review requests and I agreed (to only one so far) with the condition that it not be published until at least January. But that is a strategy in part because we can't handle a tsunami of orders, and in part because the reviewer is one who has a complex system and we really want folks to first enjoy the impact of EtherREGEN as-is, before hearing about it in a chain full of fancy power supplies and external reference clocks.

Clearly I have everything backwards. I mean, a lot of audio companies send their new products first to the reviewers and they want all their selected beta-testers to talk it up. Guess we just dance to our own beat...B|

Well, sometimes being successful is often from doing the opposite of others!

• HQPE 1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM
  • Streaming Qobuz or playing files from external SSD
  • Surface Go 3 i3 Tablet with HQPlayer Client
  • ISP Cable Modem -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule 
  • Sonore opticalModule  -> 20m Fiber -> Sonore opticalModule -> Ethernet -> Managed Switch
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule Deluxe -> 5m Fiber -> Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical ( HQPlayer NAA )
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet ->Small Green Computer sonicTransporter i9 Optical ( HQPlayer Embedded )
  • Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical -> USB -> Holo Audio KTE May
  • Holo Audio KTE May -> XLR -> Goldpoint SA1X/47 -> XLR to Decware ZBIT -> RCA to Decware ZSTAGE25 -> RCA to Decware SE84UFO25 -> Avantgarde Duo Omega Horns with Townshend Audio Ribbon Super Tweeters
  • Decware SE84UFO25 -> Speaker Level to Jensen IsoMax Balanced Converter -> XLR Rives PARC -> XLR Avantgarde SUB225s

I am so excited for this new gem and congrats to Alex, John and the team!

I tried hard to study this threads but because my poor English I still have a question if EtherREGEN can replace my existing switch. My poor drawing attached and I wondered if anyone can help if I can technically replace my so call "audiophile switch" by EtherREGEN?  I assume I can connect both cable from the wall and the one to 4K streamer to "A" side, and then "B" side to my 2 ch. Audio steamer? Thanks!

2008136131_ether-regenqdiagram.jpg.dc97f9b443e16330afd432fa4173414a.jpg

23 minutes ago, willyhot said:

I am so excited for this new gem and congrats to Alex, John and the team!

I tried hard to study this threads but because my poor English I still have a question if EtherREGEN can replace my existing switch. My poor drawing attached and I wondered if anyone can help if I can technically replace my so call "audiophile switch" by EtherREGEN?  I assume I can connect both cable from the wall and the one to 4K streamer to "A" side, and then "B" side to my 2 ch. Audio steamer? Thanks!

2008136131_ether-regenqdiagram.jpg.dc97f9b443e16330afd432fa4173414a.jpg

You've got it right - two channel streamer on the B side will optimize the sound for that device. You can use the ports on the A side as you wish.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

@SuperdadIf I read the specs the SFP port is a 5th port on the A side. Thus using it as an optically isolated connection from an upstream switch will allow for up to 4 streaming sources/NAS/PC/MAC etc and one output (B side) to an ethernet based device for DAC or LAN/USB interface like RPi or UltraRendu etc

Also will it be possible to have any addition things sent with the E-REGEN like a MacMini upgrade etc? 

1 hour ago, willyhot said:

Thanks for your prompt response.  so I can assume those 4 ports on "A" side can technically perform like a standard switch.9_9

Yes, those four Gigabit ports support the full range of the usual protocols. But there is nothing “standard” about the performance of the EtherREGEN—even if you never cross the moat to the ‘B’ side. B|

4 minutes ago, wizardofoz said:

@SuperdadIf I read the specs the SFP port is a 5th port on the A side. Thus using it as an optically isolated connection from an upstream switch will allow for up to 4 streaming sources/NAS/PC/MAC etc and one output (B side) to an ethernet based device for DAC or LAN/USB interface like RPi or UltraRendu etc.

Sure, that will work great.

4 minutes ago, wizardofoz said:

Also will it be possible to have any addition things sent with the E-REGEN like a MacMini upgrade etc? 

No problem! Either order all of what you wish on the same order, or drop us a note to combine any separate open orders you have into one shipment.

Alex or John

Any chance of making an optical B side version for the opticalRendu owners ?

Is it tecnical possible, or is not worth the effort  ?

Did any of the beta testers tried the ER with an opticalRendu?

(and compared it with the opticalModule)

When will your next product be announced ? 😀 

8 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Alex or John

Any chance of making an optical B side version for the opticalRendu owners ?

Is it tecnical possible, or is not worth the effort  ?

Did any of the beta testers tried the ER with an opticalRendu?

(and compared it with the opticalModule)

When will your next product be announced ? 😀 

The Uptone guys have stated several times that this device works the same going from the A side to the B side, and visa versa. Your network can connect to the B side, and then you can use the A side SFP connector to go to your streamer.  In that case, the etherRegen could be considered a very clean copper Ethernet to optical Ethernet adapter. Do recall, that the B side jack is 100mb, and if you use the other A side Ethernet jacks, they will not be cleaned between them and the SFP, and the A side jacks will connect to the network at the 100g Limit of the B side jack.

The etherRegen fits my needs perfectly. I currently use a small ethernet switch in my audio stack. There is an ‘in’ cable, and ‘out’ cables to the streamer, Roku, and BluRay player. The etherRegen will replace this box, with a 1m Ethernet cable from the B port as the last run to the streamer. The A side will get video boxes and receive the ‘in’. If the ‘in’ for my system changes to optical in the future, I’ll be ready.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

2 hours ago, Ehsu said:

I am so gutted that my order #8939 end up in the second batch even confirmation email received by 5:04am my time! I set my alarm to buy at launch and clicked add to cart at exactly 5am but I backed out from PayPal Express because it did not include shipping cost and remembered @Superdad preferred card payment so he can save some of his costs!! Now I will end up paying more myself because NZ will change import rules from 1 Dec 2019!! Really disappointed to be a nice guy 😞

Your story touched me. Feel your pain...But it was a race against time. No second to waste, not a move too many. Whoever drew first remained standing.

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

9 hours ago, sahmen said:

Funny thing : I just remembered, the ER about thirty minutes ago, and placed my order just the same : Order # 902X.  Does that even qualify me for the January shipping list? I do not know.

Sorry to hear about your blackout.

Thank you for your order.  As indicated on the web page at the time you ordered--and in the confirmation e-mail you should have received--you are in the January batch.

Our product web pages and the confirmation e-mails will always indicate ship date/week as closely as possible.

Only exception so far occurred during the first 10 minutes of the launch when the first batch sold out faster than I could change the page to indicate that second batch begun. I will today be going through the count to determine exact changeover point (yesterday I said #8912). Once I do, I'll also guess about how many people may have ordered when the page said 1st batch but will really be in 2nd batch.  I'm thinking it's perhaps 20.  An e-mail will be sent to those folks.

3 minutes ago, HumanMedia said:

It would be great to know the final adjusted cut off points. I am at the tail end of the second batch at 8990, and will be disappointed to find I’m in the January batch after all...

Nothing to worry about.  All order #s under 9000 are for certain shipping in 2019.  And possibly a few past #9000 as well.  The only very slight uncertainty until I sort it out is in the November/December transition.  But this week I am really trying to focus on parts--so that all this actually happens! O.o

47 minutes ago, rogerdn said:

I need to continue use of my TP-Link switch for additional devices, should the router be connected to the ER or doesn’t it matter ?  Meaning should the ER be upstream of the TP switch ?

You want the endpoint/player attached to the B side of the ER.  After that, it shouldn't matter too much since the player is isolated.

I think the best arrangement would be Router > TPLink Switch (with non-audio devices attached) > EtherRegen (player on B side; other audio devices on A side).

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

In order to keep all noise reduction protocols optimal (or the EtherRegen-erated signal totally clean downstream) , does one need any special RJ45 cable to connect the B-side of the ER to a streamer (in my case a Metrum Acoustics Ambre) or will any old Cat 5 or 6 or 7 cable (from, say, Monoprice or Blue Jeans) do? 

4 hours ago, Superdad said:

Use of an external reference clock is absolutely NOT required to get stellar performance from the EtherREGEN. B|

Hi Alex  

Suppose that people who use the ER with a high quality 10 MHz clock will report that they observe an increase in SQ.  You already told us that an OCXO that really improves the ER clock would cost at least $ 500.  

The manufacture of an Ether Regen SE, with that OCXO clock built into the board, would only change the clocks, or is technically more complicated.

Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Melco N1ZH60-2 / Audio Research Ref. 5 SE / Gryphon Essence Stereo / Rockport Atria I / Göbel XLR and RCA Cables / Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / Sablon Ethernet Cabe / MIT Magnum MA Sepeakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (3), Sigma NR V1(1) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Paul Hynes SR7T for Melco S-100 Pink Faun Upgraded / Farad Super3 for IPS Modem-Router / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5